Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 5:09:40 PM EDT
So I always though my 14.5 was a little over gassed and tried to correct that as much as I could. I went all the way up to a blue sprinco and an H3 buffer which felt similar to a standard power spring with a Spikes T-2. A little softer on the shoulder but that h3 going home with the blue spring makes the muzzle dip. My rifle is under 6 lbs with no optics or mag.

Maybe that is why this thing has been 100% reliable for me.

I thought about an adjustable gas block but this upper is pinned and I'm not sure if I trust the adjustable blocks.

The new BCG from Gemtech would be cool to try out but not $225 cool.

Just thinking out loud..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the drawback of having an over gassed rifle?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Harsher recoil(not saying that it has recoil that hurts or is unmanageable), rougher on the moving parts, and slower follow up shots.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As listed above, plus also harder on brass.  If you want to reload, that is NOT insignificant!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
There are some cheaper ways to reduce gas.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/shop/page/3/

They offer an adjustable BC and also an adjustable gas key.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As listed above, plus also harder on brass.  If you want to reload, that is NOT insignificant!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He says nothing about reloading.  That is your interjection.  And its a 14.5" midlength.  There is a certain amount of "Did I buy a quality part and did they get the gas port right" with this setup.  My advice is get a new barrel.  What barrel are you using?  

We all like different things, but I would pass on the adjustable gas key thing.  To each their own.  

EDIT: also if you are worried about it being harder on parts, keep extra extractors on hand.  You want your 14.5" mid reliable.  And .223 doesn't have "recoil".

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He says nothing about reloading.  That is your interjection.  And its a 14.5" midlength.  There is a certain amount of "Did I buy a quality part and did they get the gas port right" with this setup.  My advice is get a new barrel.  What barrel are you using?    

We all like different things, but I would pass on the adjustable gas key thing.  To each their own.  

EDIT: also if you are worried about it being harder on parts, keep extra extractors on hand.  You want your 14.5" mid reliable.  And .223 doesn't have "recoil".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, fix it right, so you don't have to burn through extractors, and brass

Also, go shoot an ar with a bare muzzle, then put a good brake on it, you will see, and feel, the difference.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a Voodoo barrel and it has never damaged brass more than any other AR I have shot. Not even remotely close to what a sig 556 does to brass

Like I said just thinking out loud. I have heard many times 14.5 middys are undergassed and can have cycling issues but mine has no idea what a cycling issue is. I bet I could throw in the blue sprinco with the H3 and cycle wolf steel or pmc .223 with ease.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, go shoot an ar with a bare muzzle, then put a good brake on it, you will see, and feel, AND HEAR the difference.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Or, fix it right, so you don't have to burn through extractors, and brass  #see my get a new barrel advice
Also, go shoot an ar with a bare muzzle, then put a good brake on it, you will see, and feel, the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, fix it right, so you don't have to burn through extractors, and brass  #see my get a new barrel advice
Getting 4x reloads on worst treated brass.  What are you getting?  And again he doesn't mention reloading or brass worries.

Sucks that your voodoo barrel gives you issues.  Midwest Industries 2 chamber device?  May help with muzzle rise.  Adjustable gas block if really needed.  If your brass is ok, I would just not worry about.  Not that big a deal.  Maybe you replace a buffer spring early.  You put the heavy sprinco in and it will last a while.  

I haven't seen it.  But overgassing from what I have seen isn't that big a deal unless it is manifesting itself in other places.  Is it a precision 14.5"??  I would guess not but maybe.

CONSIDER CONTACTING VOODOO?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Haha I have a PWSFCS pinned on it. Going from a FH to a brake you notice the blast and noise but I have got use to it and don't really notice unless someone mentions it.

Those adjustable gas keys look interesting. Maybe I just need to build a rifle with minimum recoil and muzzle movement in mind. With this rifle I want it to stay 100 % reliable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He says nothing about reloading.  That is your interjection CONTRIBUTION.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have three SLR adjustable gas block that have a few thousand rounds do range. They really do work! You won't be sad if you buy one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
All the 14.5-16" middays I had previously had .078 to .085 gas ports.  Just got a ballistic advantage Hanson middy that undersized port .068" not really undersized since will still feed wolf with a h2 buffer... But by far the softest shooting one I tried.  I've had good luck with the rica keys mentioned on my suppressed builds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FIFY  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY  
English teachers belong in GD not TECH.  Never do that again!

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its a Voodoo barrel and it has never damaged brass more than any other AR I have shot. Not even remotely close to what a sig 556 does to brass

Like I said just thinking out loud. I have heard many times 14.5 middys are undergassed and can have cycling issues but mine has no idea what a cycling issue is. I bet I could throw in the blue sprinco with the H3 and cycle wolf steel or pmc .223 with ease.
View Quote

I also have a VooDoo middy 14.5" but it shoots  very smooth with just a standard carbine buffer and (chrome silicon) spring, even considering a matching VooDoo reduced mass BCG.

I think your gas port may be out of spec, only an adjustable gas block or replacement barrel will really fix it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I also have a VooDoo middy 14.5" but it shoots  very smooth with just a standard carbine buffer and (chrome silicon) spring, even considering a matching VooDoo reduced mass BCG.

I think your gas port may be out of spec, only an adjustable gas block or replacement barrel will really fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo are you using? I am using 5.56 ammo for the most part. Wolf Gold, some CBC 77g, various 5.56 193 ammo. My rifle does shoot smooth IMO but I have no other 14.5s to compare it to.

With PMC Bronze it was a sweet shooter. I burned up that stash over a year ago and when 5.56 is the same or cheaper than PMC I'm going with the sealed 5.56.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Mostly Monarch 223 (Brown Bear) and ZQI M855, also some Federal M193 and other misc samples...all ran well, though I could tell the ZQI was a really hot load.

Normally the 14.5" middies are not overgassed, though they do run quite well.

With the small size and light weight, its quickly becoming my favorite shooter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes the 14.5 has become my favorite rifle and what I shoot the most. A good balance for everything IMO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY  

That was NOT an English correction....  That was an shift in meaning....  Meaning, I was actually adding a contribution to the discussion!  Over gassed uppers DO tear up case rims.  Perhaps you misunderstood?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
You mentioned your rifle is in the 6 lbs group. The recoil is going to feel a little harsh on a light setup like you have also.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do you think it is overgassed?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That was NOT an English correction....  That was an shift in meaning(which in my school upbringing fell under English class)....  Meaning, I was actually adding a contribution to the discussion! (SOME) Over gassed uppers DO tear up case rims.  Perhaps you misunderstood?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY  

That was NOT an English correction....  That was an shift in meaning(which in my school upbringing fell under English class)....  Meaning, I was actually adding a contribution to the discussion! (SOME) Over gassed uppers DO tear up case rims.  Perhaps you misunderstood?
NO I completely understood I used the wrong word.  Having no recourse other than to be wrong, I simply replied with a smart aleck reply.  But so not to convey animosity I placed a smiley face to lighten the tone, because I was not really angry at being corrected.  To put it simply I get it and I was being cute.  Maybe you misunderstood.  

And now for something completely different tech discussion....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So I always though my 14.5 was a little over gassed ....
Maybe that is why this thing has been 100% reliable for me.
View Quote

Being overgassed does not make a rifle reliable. At some point it even reduces reliability.

Quoted:
Its a Voodoo barrel
View Quote

Who knows what size gas port they are using. Some manufacturers have been using really wonky gas ports, sometimes intentionally going oversize to avoid customer issues with short stroking due to build problems etc. No idea if that applies to Voodoo or not, only way to know is to measure it. You can probably tell if you're getting excessive bolt speed/energy though.

I have heard many times 14.5 middys are undergassed and can have cycling issues but mine has no idea what a cycling issue is. I bet I could throw in the blue sprinco with the H3 and cycle wolf steel or pmc .223 with ease.
View Quote

BCM brand 14.5 middys traditionally had undersized gas ports and gave the 14.5 mid (and by extension all midlengths) a bad name due to erratic performance with lower powered ammo.

With a proper size gas port it's a wonderful configuration.

A proper general-purpose gas system configuration should cycle with any practical buffer weight. My 14.5 mid shoots great with a carbine or H1, but cycles fine with a rifle or 9mm buffer. The beauty of a more optimized gas system configuration is that you get a more consistent bolt energy across variations in ammo or operating conditions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Would my rifle be considered overgassed if it runs fine with no gas rings on the bolt? I was thinking about changing them and possibly shooting without them to see if my rifle functions still.  Mine are so worn that they barely create any resistance when pushing the bolt in or out. Over 4k on them but the rifle functions fine so I haven't changed them yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]
My son tried that as an experiment, and it did not function right, only got 2 rounds or so before it failed.

Just change out the gas rings.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My son tried that as an experiment, and it did not function right, only got 2 rounds or so before it failed.

Just change out the gas rings.

View Quote

Haha I will. Was his short stroking? FTE?

I will try it tomorrow without though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, FTE FTF.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmm I will report back tomorrow with my results.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Well...FTE and FTF. Did not pick up another round even once.

No surprise to most I guess

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top