Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 8:42:52 PM EDT
Never built an upper before and a Larue barrel just arrived on my doorstep. It's got a protective oil layer on it. How do I go about cleaning this off? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reputable kitchen degreaser will not harm the finish. I use Slip 2000 products for oiling to degreasing, honestly the best product out imo. Just be sure and put a thin coat of oil back on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any reputable kitchen degreaser will not harm the finish. I use Slip 2000 products for oiling to degreasing, honestly the best product out imo. Just be sure and put a thin coat of oil back on.
View Quote

Do you normally apply oil to a barrel after you've built the upper? I haven't done that with any of the ARs I've bought.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I keep all my new and used barrels installed or not installed with a light coat. .
In fact, my last 2 Noveske barrels I just left the oil on em and wiped down a bit with a dry cloth. Oil in moderation is a friend.
From 2009ish - Noveske

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd assume what they'd spray on their barrels is just something to keep the rust off, and that's about it. Besides that protective stuff, in it will probably be the dust and particles you'd find in a machine shop.

I scrub it all out/off with Simple Green. That's on all parts. But I do a light coat of oil on the barrel extention and any other areas I won't see again for a long time. I suppose something like an anti-seize grease would be more appropriate though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot it and let it burn off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Just use Brake Cleaner.  No need to get fancy.  The only time you need to be wary of using it is when the part might rust after degreasing.

And yes, I use Brake Cleaner to clean my rifles and pistols.  I lube them with Mobil 1 5w50 and Aeroshell 33ms.  My bolts and slides show almost no wear, and they clean up nicely.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just use Brake Cleaner.  No need to get fancy.  The only time you need to be wary of using it is when the part might rust after degreasing.

And yes, I use Brake Cleaner to clean my rifles and pistols.  I lube them with Mobil 1 5w50 and Aeroshell 33ms.  My bolts and slides show almost no wear, and they clean up nicely.
View Quote

+1 chlorinated brake parts cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help. Being my first barrel I didn't want to do something to screw it up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You lube with Aeroshell 33ms?  I never read of anyone doing that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NON-chlorinated Brake cleaner
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, red can.  It dries faster and leaves absolutely no film.

Chlorinated is tetrachloroethylene based, which as far as I know will not eat plastics unless you let parts soak for extended periods of time in it.

Non Chlorinated is acetone and toluene based which will definitely eat plastic.

Are they both bad for you?  Yup.  Do they both work?  Yup.  Go read the MSDS sheets.  Its nasty stuff, but works like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a dab on the bolt cam pin after a heavy cleaning.  I also use it sparingly on my pistol slides.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, a dab on the bolt cam pin after a heavy cleaning.  I also use it sparingly on my pistol slides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh, seems like Aeroshell would be really messy, and stinky.  Seriously, it smells funky.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

huh, seems like Aeroshell would be really messy, and stinky.  Seriously, it smells funky.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its an acquired taste.  Just like Hoppes, cheap beer, and my wifes cooking!

Nah it works fine.  Doesnt really burn off.  Really seems to hang in there.  Doesnt seem to gum up.  Have had no issues shooting temps as low as -5.  I generally break my bolts down every 1k rounds for a thorough cleaning.  Otherwise its just a quick wipe down with a shop towel, a little squirt of Mobil 1 5W40, and put it back together.

I like it, it works for me.  May not work for you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top