Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:13:07 PM EDT
I was looking at the instruction manual for my DD SLIM Rail and I noticed that it didn't specify whether or not I should season the threads.

So my question is: should I go ahead and season the threads as usual or just torque it down one time?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Season them, can't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I need help.

I was able to torque the barrel nut at the instructed 50 ft/lbs, but when I tried loosening it to season the threads the supplied barrel nut wrench slipped.

Now while the barrel nut is somewhat marred the wrench wont fit the grooves anymore. However, from what I could see the nut itself hasn't moved.

So should I just leave the barrel nut alone since I torqued it down? Or should I get another wrench and season the threads? And if I do need another wrench, is there one that is a better design but would fit the barrel nut easily?

Thank you,

BillyReb
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I need help.

I was able to torque the barrel nut at the instructed 50 ft/lbs, but when I tried loosening it to season the threads the supplied barrel nut wrench slipped.

Now while the barrel nut is somewhat marred the wrench wont fit the grooves anymore. However, from what I could see the nut itself hasn't moved.

So should I just leave the barrel nut alone since I torqued it down? Or should I get another wrench and season the threads? And if I do need another wrench, is there one that is a better design but would fit the barrel nut easily?

Thank you,

BillyReb
View Quote

How did it slip? Post pics of the marring that youre talking about.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried posting pics but apparently I don't have the right file type.

As for how it slipped: either the wrench's "teeth" probably weren't in the grooves right or when I tried to loosen it at 50 ft/lbs the wrench couldn't take it, marring the nut and damaging the teeth at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top