Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2015 2:23:22 PM EDT
i had to smack a mallet on the end of the barrel to get the extension and index pin into the upper receiver. I hit it several times  on the muzzle end to get it in and even broke the pin in the pin/weld job on my muzzle brake in the process. I have to send it back to Adco to have it re pinned and welded. I did eventually get the barrel in sans the broken pin weld job.

I obviously haven't shot it yet but do you think the barrel installation could have had any negative effect on the barrel. Besides the broker pin, is it possible that I might've damaged the barrel in any way?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The barrel is probably the strongest part of the rifle, so likely no damage unless you count mashed threads.  Or was this brake a friction fit, on an unthreaded barrel?  Did you lube the barrel extension or receiver first?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The barrel is probably the strongest part of the rifle, so likely no damage unless you count mashed threads.  Or was this brake a friction fit, on an unthreaded barrel?  Did you lube the barrel extension or receiver first?
View Quote
Battlecomp 1.5 pinned/welded by Adco. I put aeroshell on the barrel extension and the inside of the upper.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
And to be clear it is my fault this happened.

Steve at Adco offered to fix it free of charge. Stand up guys they are.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Battlecomp 1.5 pinned/welded by Adco. I put aeroshell on the barrel extension and the inside of the upper.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have thrown the barrel in the freezer for a few hours then tried to install without beating on it
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Should have thrown the barrel in the freezer for a few hours then tried to install without beating on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And warmed up the upper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And warmed up the upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And warmed up the upper.
I did warm it up. Failed to mention that. Had it in the oven for a bit on 200

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn.

Even BATs aren't usually that tight.

ETA: In the future, use the barrel nut to suck it on, if possible.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Well i fucked up. At least Adco will take care of me. Hopefully I didn't fuck the threads up or anything.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
BCM's latest uppers are purposely made with a slight interference fit for the extension. The upper spigot must be heated to around 300 degrees for the barrel to fit in.
I use a heat gun. Sounds like you didn't get the upper hot enough. Yours wasn't a BCM by any chance? Most uppers fit too loose on the extension.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

BCM's latest uppers are purposely made with a slight interference fit for the extension. The upper spigot must be heated to around 300 degrees for the barrel to fit in.

I use a heat gun. Sounds like you didn't get the upper hot enough. Yours wasn't a BCM by any chance? Most uppers fit too loose on the extension.
View Quote
Nope it is a Mega forged upper. I have a build with a billet and it wasn't nearly as difficult as this.

Here it is mocked up:

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You should be fine, some barrels need some encouragement to be seated into the upper.
View Quote
Sending it out tomorrow. I'm very sorry

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top