BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2015 11:19:10 AM EDT
I know it inexpensive but I like to do a lot of odd AR's and wondered if anybody had tried it and liked it more than a standard AR trigger group.  Combat trigger at ALG
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I've tried it and yes I like them. They are much smoother than an out of the box standard trigger.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one.  Then I bought more.  That should tell you something.
Lighter (like JP) springs make them even better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know it inexpensive but I like to do a lot of odd AR's and wondered if anybody had tried it and liked it more than a standard AR trigger group.  Combat trigger at ALG
View Quote

GTG.  The QMS ones are good as well.  I have a few of each installed and like them.  Good bargain triggers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one....it's smooth.  Significantly better than a standard LPK trigger.  They're made by Geissele (his wife's company actually), and that pretty much should tell you all you need to know.

That being said, I prefer a lighter trigger pull and have other triggers (from Geissele)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
With a pair of jp springs probably the best single stage you can buy under 100$
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one....it's smooth.  Significantly better than a standard LPK trigger.  They're made by Geissele (his wife's company actually), and that pretty much should tell you all you need to know.

That being said, I prefer a lighter trigger pull and have other triggers (from Geissele)
View Quote

Depends on which end of the spectrum your mil spec trigger is on. On the gritty end, the ACT is a HUGE upgrade. I have one trigger that came with a  CMMG parts kit that I can't tell apart from the ACT - even though the ACT has the purple spring installed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe I've just been lucky, I've had nothing but good luck with OEM triggers and found neither the QMS or ACT were an up grade. My ACT as a matter of fact has a pull weight of 7.5lb... it was smooth but still heavy. I no longer use any OEM trigger's however. Now, if your talking G2S, SSA, SSA-E, larue MBT or even CMC then they are ALL worth the coin
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice, but you need the JP springs to fully enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you recommend which springs?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

SirSqueeboo, Can you tell specifically which JP springs to look into?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too have an ALG ACT and have been thinking about the JP reduced power springs but have read they produce light strikes. Is this a concern? They've been sitting in my Midway wishlist for a while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I too have an ALG ACT and have been thinking about the JP reduced power springs but have read they produce light strikes. Is this a concern? They've been sitting in my Midway wishlist for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a range toy light strikes aren't a problem and will help you learn failure drills, on a social rifle they should be avoided at all costs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On a range toy light strikes aren't a problem and will help you learn failure drills, on a social rifle they should be avoided at all costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why I've not bought them. I kind of like having my rifles be rady for SHTF too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yellow, thats the combo I have in my SBR and I love it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a yellow JP spring on the ACT trigger but a mil-spec spring on the hammer to eliminate light primer strikes. Still much better than even the Colt factory trigger.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're aren't interested in an expensive two stage or the like this is the best milspec style trigger out there, loved mine until I upgraded to the Geiselle's!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one installed in my first build and I like it a lot. I may order another one to replace the S&W trigger in my other rifle. Having said that, I was just given a SSA-E and can't wait to see how much of an improvement that will be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]

I have 3 of them, love 'em

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have heard so much good about the ALG products  that I am buying a ACT LPK straight off for my first AR build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
this, decent but you really want better.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have several of the ACTs myself, but have just acquired a new Palmetto polished trigger and find its just as good and only $35...wish it had been available before I started buying the ACTs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one that had a problem and even though the problem followed the trigger in every lower it was tried in, ALG just claimed all the lowers were out of spec.  Luckily the seller (PSA) took care of it, and later I heard that ALG admitted there was a general problem.  Since ALG didn't stand behind their product I don't buy from them.  I know that some may be happy with what they got...I wasn't and I vote with my wallet
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have several of the ACTs myself, but have just acquired a new Palmetto polished trigger and find its just as good and only $35...wish it had been available before I started buying the ACTs.
View Quote

I really like my PSA polished/ coated trigger.  You can get them for $35 when they go on sale. I have no experience with the ALG triggers but the PSA trigger is very nice for $35.  I was quite surprised how smooth it was.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought one, did not like it. Was very smooth but not crisp at all. My stock DD triggers felt better IMO.

Jumped on the 20% off sale ALG has going on right now though. Picked up a few QMS triggers for $36 each shipped. Hopefully I like those better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bought one, did not like it. Was very smooth but not crisp at all. My stock DD triggers felt better IMO.

Jumped on the 20% off sale ALG has going on right now though. Picked up a few QMS triggers for $36 each shipped. Hopefully I like those better.
View Quote

Why would you like the QMS?  It's a step down from the ACT.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends how you look at it. IMO the coating on the ACT was the reason I did not like it. Added thickness to the sear surface after it was honed, and made it feel mushy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily, my QMS has about a 6lb pull and is just as smooth as my ACT that pulled 7.5lb... neither in my case were better than my stock triggers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5T

The red hammer spring is a must.

I thought the Geiselle springs that came with my ACT were way too stiff and found the JP yellow/red combo to be a huge improvement without losing reliability.

Easily have over 1,000 rounds with these springs and never had a misfire.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought I heard something about the ACT now coming with an additional purple reduced trigger spring?  Can anyone confirm that, and does it also come with the QMS?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I thought the Geiselle springs that came with my ACT were way too stiff and found the JP yellow/red combo to be a huge improvement without losing reliability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

did it decrease the trigger pull weight at all?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#31]
great triggers, the only ones i have in my rifles
if yours comes with the purple spring kit than consider yourself lucky because they don't state anywhere they come with that so i'm sitting on a reduced power spring kit..... guess that means it's time to start building a new rifle
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought I heard something about the ACT now coming with an additional purple reduced trigger spring?  Can anyone confirm that, and does it also come with the QMS?
View Quote

Mine came with the purple spring and that's what I installed. My fiance's did not come with a purple spring, so he called ALG and they sent him one free. I don't know if it made any difference, but I ordered directly from ALG and he got his somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I just finished a built that had the PSA ALG ACT trigger kit with the extra lighter spring. Color and finish wise it looks exactly like the JP  "red" spring although I would call it "purple".

I wish I could tell you how stable it was but it has rained every %$#@ day since I put this thing together but, I have huge hopes because it sure does feel fabulous
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I have used a bunch of ACT and the QMS aint too bad either.
Bet with JP springs there real smooth. ( Gotta try them next )
Beats the hell out of regular mil spec trigger kits with gritty ass triggers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
+1 for the ALG ACT trigger. Best of the mil-spec types IME.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Got one...like it.  Getting another for a 300BLK SBR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by the 15 minute trigger job on a standard lpk trigger?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to muddy the waters a bit if you like the ACT you'll also like the Spikes Battle Trigger.  Same idea behind both, basically milspec but polished and NiB coated.  I have both, and if you put either in my hand I couldn't tell them apart.  Both get my equal endorsement.  

Basically buy whichever you can find cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I own the ACT and QMS. They're both better than "LPK" triggers. The break on the ACT is noticeably nicer, but I use the QMS in my mil rifles clones due to the standard finish.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#40]
So I am torn on these two triggers, for a lighter use rifle am I going to see a big difference besides the weight?  This is going to be my first build, I have shot 4-6 other AR's only 2 consistently, so i am admittedly NOT going to notice subtle differences, that being said i LOVE my glock trigger I polished myself so i am also not a trigger noob either, I was planning on the QMS, should i be convinced otherwise?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I am torn on these two triggers, for a lighter use rifle am I going to see a big difference besides the weight?  This is going to be my first build, I have shot 4-6 other AR's only 2 consistently, so i am admittedly NOT going to notice subtle differences, that being said i LOVE my glock trigger I polished myself so i am also not a trigger noob either, I was planning on the QMS, should i be convinced otherwise?
View Quote

The ACT is not that much more $ than the QMS, just get it and be done with it, you won't not like it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by the 15 minute trigger job on a standard lpk trigger?
View Quote

I've got one of each, the ACT came w/ the new spring as well. I think it's supposed to be 4.5#ish. It's a little smoother than the QMS and a bit lighter pull.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yellow JP springs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I've got both ACT and QMS and both are great triggers for the $$.  Frankly, the QMS I have is better and with the JP Reduced Power springs, it is so close to my CMC drop in that I wouldn't believe it if I didn't feel it for myself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why I've not bought them. I kind of like having my rifles be rady for SHTF too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. I am personally fine with mine just the way it is. If I feel the need for a range or "match grade" trigger I'll get a Giesselle match trigger.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
My QMS triggers showed up the other day. They both feel much better than my ACT triggers. More crisp and cleaner break. Will stick with them from now on and save $20
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have 3 of them, love 'em

View Quote

I have one a 14.5" middy, another going in a 18" SPR and most likely a third will be in order for a 300BLKO SBR in process.

Great action...very smooth one stage trigger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#48]
This morning, I received and installed an ACT trigger on one of my Colt 6944's. Wow, what a HUGE difference over the factory mil spec trigger. Can't wait to get it to the range and put it through its paces.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've got one of each, the ACT came w/ the new spring as well. I think it's supposed to be 4.5#ish. It's a little smoother than the QMS and a bit lighter pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the face? It was a legit question. I have read about the trigger job smoothing everything out and reducing creep. Isn't that the intended goal of installing an ACT trigger?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I have ACT triggers in 2 of my builds. They are much better than the standard mil spec triggers that come in an LPK. I have them in my SHTF rifles, at least for now.

My other rifles I have Geissele SSAs. I much prefer a 2 stage trigger over a single stage. Just my preference. In a SHTF or defensive shooting scenario you don't really feel the 2 stages. So I will be replacing the ACT triggers with SSAs.

I did pick up a couple of LaRue's MBT triggers when they had the 50% off sale. My son and I assembled an AR10 yesterday and installed the LaRue in that. Of course we have not shot any live ammo yet but dry firing it seems excellent too. We compared the SSA and MBT dry firing yesterday and you can't really feel any difference. Next weekend we will live fire it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top