Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2015 11:37:04 PM EDT
Okay, been a while since I have posted but I would like to get everyone's input. I have one AR built just the way I want it. I have had a second lower sitting around for awhile and I would like to get an inexpensive carbine upper just to make it a backup gun. Hoping to keep it as cheap as possible but I will happily pay extra for something that I know will work right without issues.

So, midway has got a bushmaster M4 upper, complete with bolt carrier and everything. Plug and play price is $400. Chrome lined is a big plus to me and this has that. I would prefer a mid-length system but I am okay with the carbine length. It's "only" got a 1:9 twist but frankly I usually plink with 55 and 62 grain ammo so who really cares. Besides the 1:9 still works just fine with heavier bullets and I am not shooting out to 500 yards anyway...

Midway has similar Del-ton (I really don't know too much about that company) and DPMS for about the same $$ or a tad more, depending on the configuration.

So, thoughts on all that? Will the Bushy be reliable, is the Del-ton or DPMS any better/more reliable?

I have a nice BCM URG on my primary and I do really like it, it has been great, but for this build I want to keep the budget lower than BCM's current offerings.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to cruise on over to PSA's website and check their current selection of AR Uppers.  

<ETA> Their "premium" line is worth going with.  The "freedom" line I'd avoid considering it's not much more for a premium line upper in comparison.  Got no experience with either other than seeing a metric butt load of reviews on here for them all pretty favorable.  Any issues you might have will get resolved by the customer service people, they seem to be pretty good in that department.  Shipping can be a tad bit slow, so you have to be patient.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

This doesn't say "premium" in the description but it appears to be the same as the premium version with carbine length gas system-so I am guessing it is "premium".

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/8555/category/4220/

This is pretty much what I am looking for-but still open to any other suggestions.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
You want the Premium or CHF uppers, no PTAC or Freedom budget stuff as its no where near the same quality.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!

This doesn't say "premium" in the description but it appears to be the same as the premium version with carbine length gas system-so I am guessing it is "premium".

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/8555/category/4220/

This is pretty much what I am looking for-but still open to any other suggestions.

View Quote

If the description says its an FN chrome lined barrel or hammer forged (CHF) barrel, is a premium upper.

Unless you want to use a bayonet, I would recommend one of their 14.7" pinned uppers, this one is a lighter weight CHF barrel with an MOE handguard...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-14-7-chf-mid-length-lightweight-5-56-nato-1-7-premium-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You want the Premium or CHF uppers, no PTAC or Freedom budget stuff as its no where near the same quality.
View Quote

My freedom stainless barreled upper is very nice.  I don't own one of the CHF uppers but my Freedom upper is nicer than anything I have seen at Academy or the like and for $189 shipped (what I paid for mine), it's a great value.  I only have roughly 900 rounds through it but no issues so far. It groups really well and the barrel is plenty accurate.  I'm running a quality BCG in it.  I have never used one of PSA's BCG's.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
once it gets to 400, I go visit bcm

if it is under 400, I go visit psa
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll pay a lot more for a BCM hammer forged barrel (which is still an FN) with BCG & CH than for the PSA.

If BCM is having one of their free BCG, Gunfighter CH and comp sales with the upper, then yes, thats definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Wrench Guy, thanks for the pointers. I was starting to think about the pinned option with a shorter barrel but (don't hate me), I live in California and this second build needs to be featureless. What that means to the normal shooter is I have to take off the flash hider and replace it with a brake/comp...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
while I like psa, when I was researching, I found others with more features for the price.

http://www.karrisguns.com/ar-15-upper-receivers/556223-uppers/16-uppers

I have one of the pistol kits from this place. have not shot it yet. so can't tell you if it is any good.
but it comes melonited/nitrided instead of just chrome. some configurations are cheaper than psa.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15uppers-readytoship.aspx
same here.
some are cheaper, some are the same, but generally you get a bit more for the price here.

also in the ee
Andro Corp Industries has a bunch cheaper too. not sure if it is chrome lined though.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
The PSA CHF uppers are awesome. I would take one of the FN barreled uppers over Bushmaster any day. If you have not built a AR pistol yet, the 10.5/11.5/12.5 CHF uppers are great value as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

The bcm comp is real nice, if a bit expensive.

Fixed or folding sights?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I was curious to know what you guys think about the forward assist? Is it necessary in a civilian build? I'm custom building a Sharps Bros "The Jack" Lower and I'm looking for a Billet upper to match. I don't really care for the Spike's Tactical, but I do like the Yankee Hill 110 Billet. I did however, just come across Elk Creek Manufacturing and they have a nice looking Billet without the Forward assist. Any suggestions?

The Jack Lower
http://sharpsbros.com/the-jack/

Yankee Hill Upper
http://yhm.net/stripped-upper-receiver.html

Elk Creek Manufacturing
http://shop.elkcreekmanufacturing.com/Gen-One-AR-15-Machine-Billet-Upper-Receiver-ECM15XUR.htm?productId=10

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple sets from Aero Precision that do not have a forward assist.

Thats fine for a plinker/range/hunting rifle, but not something I would be trusting my life with.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What?  No love for Model 1 Sales?

Just kidding.  I have a Model 1 that needed tinkering and now runs like a top.  But if it were up to me today, I'd lurk around Palmetto's website.  Have never had a problem with their stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Why not get FA unless you are concerned about weight. I would say since you are going for the Jack, I would look for a billet upper that matches the Jack better than YHM. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two YHM uppers and they are primo.

Vince
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top