Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:15:01 PM EDT
The build started four months ago with a cheap Anderson lower from the local gun show. I couldn't resist a $40 lower.

The original goal was to build a suppressed 300blk SBR. In preparation, I started to buy ammo. Subsonic Gemtech and Sig Sauer ammo shown here.

After loads of research, I decided to stick with 5.56 for now. Deciding factors were cost, and NFA items.

The key to budget builds is basically time and patience. You just have to wait for the deals. My buddy was able to hook me up with his used Rainier Arms non-FA upper, and he threw in a Battle Comp 1.0 for free. Sometimes you just have to be friends with good people.

What I was really waiting for is the July 4th sales. I ended up scoring a 10.3" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel, Lo-Pro Gas Block, and Melonite Gas Tube, and a PSA 5.56 Premium BCG. The charging handle is a cheap gun show mystery brand.

Next up, make it "unique"!

At first, I was hesitant to spray paint it. Then I dug in deep to find my inner fuck it attitude lol. If you're thinking about doing it, just doo it. Also, don't use an indoor use paint lol. I'm already getting a battle worn look from just handling it, but I don't mind the beat-up look.

The color is "Brushed Nickel", and it tends to color shift in different lighting, white to silver to a champagne.

This is my second build, and my first AR-pistol. So this is still a learning build for me. I have some more items coming soon, and I'll update the thread as I progress.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Er, not sure why the photos aren't showing up. I'm pretty sure I linked them correctly. Anyway here's the build list so far:

• Anderson Manufacturing Lowe $39
  • Rainier Arms non-FA Upper $57.98
  • 10.3" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel, Lo-Pro Gas Block, and Melonite Gas Tube $168.75
  • PSA 5.56 Premium BCG $79.99
  • PSA Upper Build Kit $22.99
  • Battle Comp 1.0 $Donated
  • Spray Paint $7.41

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good.  I dig those no FA uppers, I've got them on all of my ARs.

Your photos only show up for Team members until three of us vote that they're not dick pics, then everyone can see them.  Once you hit 50 posts you'll be able to post pics regularly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It's looking good so far. Can't wait to see where this build goes.

Subscribed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your photos only show up for Team members until three of us vote that they're not dick pics, then everyone can see them.  Once you hit 50 posts you'll be able to post pics regularly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Quoted:
It's looking good so far. Can't wait to see where this build goes.

Subscribed.

To be honest, the build is pretty basic, but I figured sharing the build journey could inspire others. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
looking good im in
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
After reading your post

I just had to sign up and recommend the use of High Heat engine paint
bake it on, it acts a lot like powder coating without the thick coating problems.
Probably doesn't come in  "Brushed Nickel" though.

The last Anderson lower I picked was $65 out the door.
$40 would be sweet, I'll have to check to see if the prices have come down locally.

Nice job so far, looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just splurged a little on the #ballinonabudget build... Still got it on sale though. This makes me just as cool as Colion Noir now, right?

http://i.imgur.com/iVMJoYjl.jpg

I picked up this Fortis Rev from eBay. It's pretty much brand new.

http://i.imgur.com/Ujubiuml.jpg

My tools are on a budget too.

http://i.imgur.com/IVzreSul.jpg

See that tiny c-clip thingie? Pro tip, use a magnet underneath to catch it when you don't get it on the first try. I'd also advise not to build on a carpet surface lol. If you build, you know what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/vQwIQjsl.jpg

Finished building most of it today. Waiting on a Thordsen Customs setup shipping from Rainier Arms.

http://i.imgur.com/AckfczZl.jpg
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
You going to paint your FF rail?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#9]
This build looks awesome and I can't wait to see the final product! Getting me excited for my build.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]
What length handguard is this?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Loving the color of that brushed nickel, you going to do the whole gun that color or just what you've already done?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Loving the color of that brushed nickel, you going to do the whole gun that color or just what you've already done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
You going to paint your FF rail?

I'm keeping it weird, and two-tone for now. The color is great, but it really doesn't last. I don't recommend indoor paint if you want to keep a non-chipped look.

Quoted:
What length handguard is this?

It's a 9" Fortis Rev.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good, two toning always looks nice. I really like ARs in Black and Burnt Bronze and I'm getting the same feeling i get from that color combination with this Black and Brushed Nickel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top