Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2015 1:48:17 AM EDT
I will be installing my barrel and have watched various youtube videos about this and some use Aeroshell and others do not.

Also some use it on the threads and the outside of the barrel extension....others put it on one or the other.

Would like to know the proper installation method please...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have access to it, or something similar, then yes absolutely.

I bought a whole tube on Amazon for about $14, and it just sits on the back corner of my workbench within easy reach when needed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
double-tap
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Start on page 154

http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

I use Moly EP grease from the parts store.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you can get 33MS here [urget in a small ql=http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=13604&gclid=CjwKEAjwitKtBRCt3uOYsY2v7FASJACJU5XscC2UzbUiTmGGUFK_t0FwsqTRW1R0VXGZkR2ZJSuVFxoCkRfw_wcB]http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=13604&gclid=CjwKEAjwitKtBRCt3uOYsY2v7FASJACJU5XscC2UzbUiTmGGUFK_t0FwsqTRW1R0VXGZkR2ZJSuVFxoCkRfw_wcB[/url]

or here http://www.amazon.com/Aeroshell-Grease-Kit-Specifically-MIL-G-21164D/dp/B00WOJPWNK/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=intuitcomput-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=KC7GWM72TUMK2SMG&creativeASIN=B00WOJPWNK
View Quote

Its easy enough to get on ebay with  many selling 2 5ml/.17 oz. jars for less than 5.00..  

Strange ...I watched a Brownells video where they didn't use anything on the threads or the extension.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to pay for it, definitely go for it. I've always used anti-seize. Dont plan to keep my uppers for 5-10 years at a time like some folks here do. Usually end up twisting the uppers when i re-barrel them anyway, no point for me personally.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I use 33MS.

A little bit will last you a long time.

So it's worth the investment (at least to me).

JMO and YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
People use a lot of different lubes for the job.
I use a mil-spec grease, Aeroshell 33MS meets the mil-spec.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to pay for it, definitely go for it. I've always used anti-seize. Dont plan to keep my uppers for 5-10 years at a time like some folks here do. Usually end up twisting the uppers when i re-barrel them anyway, no point for me personally.
View Quote

This is what I do too. Although on my last build I did want to use Aeroshell I just never bought any and there is a small tube of anti-seize on my reloading bench within easy reach. I figure I'm not a tier 1 operator so whatever.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
It's easy to get, a small jar will last a lifetime, it's cheep, and it's the correct thing to use. Why would you not use it? Just buy it and do it right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I just put together an upper last night. I use it on the receiver threads and the front of the barrel extension collar/ledge/flange/whatever it's actually called.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 Here I use it. Purchased it off Amazon. That little tub will go a LONG way.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will be installing my barrel and have watched various youtube videos about this and some use Aeroshell and others do not.

Also some use it on the threads and the outside of the barrel extension....others put it on one or the other.

Would like to know the proper installation method please...
View Quote

To more precisely answer your question:

Install barrel into upper receiver dry aligning pin into slot.

Clean threads making sure there are no burrs.

Apply molybdenum disulfate grease to threads.

Install barrel nut.

Follow torque procedure for your particular barrel nut if not using mil-spec (will vary by design/manufacturer of rail).
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a good source on Amazon:

Blackpaw Survival Aeroshell 33 MS Grease

Super fast shipping, sends a hand written note too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have easy access to it use it. If not go to your nearest auto parts store and purchase any name brand synthetic chassis grease. Aeroshell 33 MS Grease
is vast overkill for what we need it to do.

Vince
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Would you screw the babysitter without protection? I think not.

I bought my aeroshell off fleabay...spent 4 bucks shipped have enough for years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#17]
This is what I use on all new builds. Works great and I just disassembled one that I did 5 years ago and it looked like I put it together yesterday. Don't get caught up in all the "Mil-Spec" bullshit. This is a superior product that wasn't available back in the stone age.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-25-_-202932687&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=202932687
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is what I use on all new builds. Works great and I just disassembled one that I did 5 years ago and it looked like I put it together yesterday. Don't get caught up in all the "Mil-Spec" bullshit. This is a superior product that wasn't available back in the stone age.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-25-_-202932687&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=202932687
View Quote

Stone Age?

I have a buddy who does maintenance on jet aircraft and he and his crew use the "Stone Age" lubricant you speak of on critical parts and systems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a hand full of little tubs of aeroshell 33MS off of ebay (don't remember the seller).  A little tub of it will last for several guns.

I often throw a tub in shipping box when I sell stuff in the EE.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

AeroShell 33MS is a relatively new product.  It meets an existing MIL-G standard that's been around a while, as do a bunch of other greases.  How do you know your cheap, Teflon-infused grease is superior to an aerospace-qualified, time-tested, standards-compliant grease?  I'm not saying it's bad, but on what do you base your statement that it's "superior?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How do you know your cheap, Teflon-infused grease is superior to an aerospace-qualified, time-tested, standards-compliant grease?
View Quote

Why is it needed in AR platform? There are plenty of perfectly capable lubricants that will fill the bill exceptionally well. If you already have it use, if not just get a quality synthetic grease and forget about it, we are not working on jet engines people.

V
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Its easy enough to get on ebay with  many selling 2 5ml/.17 oz. jars for less than 5.00..  

Strange ...I watched a Brownells video where they didn't use anything on the threads or the extension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like you can get 33MS here [urget in a small ql=http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=13604&gclid=CjwKEAjwitKtBRCt3uOYsY2v7FASJACJU5XscC2UzbUiTmGGUFK_t0FwsqTRW1R0VXGZkR2ZJSuVFxoCkRfw_wcB]http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=13604&gclid=CjwKEAjwitKtBRCt3uOYsY2v7FASJACJU5XscC2UzbUiTmGGUFK_t0FwsqTRW1R0VXGZkR2ZJSuVFxoCkRfw_wcB[/url]

or here http://www.amazon.com/Aeroshell-Grease-Kit-Specifically-MIL-G-21164D/dp/B00WOJPWNK/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=intuitcomput-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=KC7GWM72TUMK2SMG&creativeASIN=B00WOJPWNK

Anyplace steel and aluminum make direct contact with one another will eventually corrode. The upper and barrel nut are going to be treated, but some could rub off during assembly. If you decide to replace your barrel 5 or 6 years down the road, you'll be glad there's some nice synthetic grease there so you don't have to go heating things up to get them apart.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why is it needed in AR platform? There are plenty of perfectly capable lubricants that will fill the bill exceptionally well. If you already have it use, if not just get a quality synthetic grease and forget about it, we are not working on jet engines people.

V
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you know your cheap, Teflon-infused grease is superior to an aerospace-qualified, time-tested, standards-compliant grease?

V

THIS. I have used Aersoshell before, and also used white lithium grease. I wouldn't lose sleep over using ANY decent synthetic that is compatible with aluminum and steel.
But some will cry on about "mil spec". Hey, they probably wear "mil spec" underwear too... I mean if it's mil spec, it MUST be the best/only option!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I bought a hand full of little tubs of aeroshell 33MS off of ebay (don't remember the seller).  A little tub of it will last for several guns.

I often through a tub in shipping box when I sell stuff in the EE.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTk1/z/PnUAAOSwKrhVWTsw/$_35.JPG
View Quote
Well look at you!  That's almost better than dillo dust.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

THIS. I have used Aersoshell before, and also used white lithium grease. I wouldn't lose sleep over using ANY decent synthetic that is compatible with aluminum and steel.
But some will cry on about "mil spec". Hey, they probably wear "mil spec" underwear too... I mean if it's mil spec, it MUST be the best/only option!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

I use AeroShell because a) I have it, b) it meets published standards (so I know how it's supposed to perform) and c) greases that meet those standards have a long track record of acceptable performance in ARs.  When I built my first AR in 1984, I used a MIL-G-21164 grease; it was leftovers from a brake job on an RF-4C.  I don't wear MIL-SPEC underwear, but I go with stuff that works.  I am sure most white lithium-based greases are fine.  But I don't want to be the one that finds out there's something odd about the temperatures, pressures and metallurgy of an AR that makes me sorry I used something else.  And some folks posting here are happy with any crap axle grease they can get for $2 a pound from Wal-Mart...NOT a quality, synthetic-based grease by ANY stretch.

Finally, I always ask why people spend lots of time and effort to get just the right barrel, get the nicest upper they can find, and use a BCG with some fancy, advanced coating - spending several hundred dollars in the process - and then go with the least expensive grease they can find.  For a few bucks you can get a proven grease (AeroShell is only one of many available MIL-G-21164 greases).  To me, it's like using a screwdriver to turn an Allen socket fastener...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I will step up to the last part of GHPorter's post/question.  A few years ago when I stepped up and decided to start assembling my own AR's I had not thought ahead.  I had everything together and was extremely impatient with the fact I had forgotten to get barrel nut grease.  It was a Saturday morning, I spent a couple or more hours researching MSDS's and found that Honda ProMoly 60 is similar, yet not milspec grease.  It was available right down the road from me.  So I went and purchased a tube of easy to get, cheap, and extremely similar grease.  If I ever run out of said grease I will surely know ahead of time and buy a milspec grease, most likely aeroshell.  But having assembled a whole bunch of AR uppers since this time and many thousands of rounds down range I have never had an issue.  I have disassembled at least a couple of my high round count rigs, changed handguards, etc and none have had issues.  

So my advice, if you got time and are not impatient, plan ahead and get some Aeroshell.  If you are a dope like me and get everything together and at the last minute realize you don't have grease, I have found with practical application, Honda ProMoly 60 works really well, but it is still not the RIGHT spec'd grease.  

Thats all I got.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top