Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 8:07:59 PM EDT
I couldn't find a thread on this, so hopefully you guys can help. Obviously a rifle length buffer won't work in a carbine, but will a carbine length buffer work in a rifle [A2 type] buffer tube?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you put in a spacer to make up the difference - yes
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
jaydee, you lost me, where would the spacer go?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished doing this. The spacer goes into the buffer tube, then the spring and then the buffer. Here is the thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/677409_Rifle_length_buffer_tube_.html
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, so using a rifle spring there is a spacer that goes into the tube, then the spring, then buffer? Am I correct on this then? Would there be any other problems to watch for? I'm asking as I have a carbine buffer, but not a rifle one, and was wondering if it will work ok.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
short answer no. Buy a rifle buffer and compare them, you will see the difference.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I see the difference from pics, that's why I was curious if I had to buy another buffer since i have one sitting here. What can I say, I'm cheap. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, so using a rifle spring there is a spacer that goes into the tube, then the spring, then buffer? Am I correct on this then? Would there be any other problems to watch for? I'm asking as I have a carbine buffer, but not a rifle one, and was wondering if it will work ok.
View Quote

You would use a carbine buffer and carbine spring, not a rifle spring.  Put the spacer and carbine buffer in the buffer tube w/out the spring first to check and see if the bolt goes back far enough (1/8"-1/4" past the bolt catch) but not too far that the carrier key will hit the back of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
short answer no. Buy a rifle buffer and compare them, you will see the difference.
View Quote

Why is "short answer no"? please explain.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks 442
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Spacer at Brownells
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks 442
View Quote

No problem. Here are a few pics of where the bolt should be when it's completely back in the buffer tube with spacer and buffer in place. If the spacer is too long the bolt will not go back far enough to clear the mag catch and if it's too short, the carrier key could go back too far and hit the receiver.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Spacer at Brownells
View Quote

I just made mine one out of plastic on the lathe, but you could just buy it too. Here is the spacer I made, I put a step in it so the spring could locate itself on it. The spacer measures 2.625"
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Just buy the correct buffer and spring
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I know some 9mm shooters put quarters in the tube to limit bolt travel.
Is a quarter the right diameter to act as a spring spacer?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

If everyone did that. What would we sit here and type about?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know some 9mm shooters put quarters in the tube to limit bolt travel.
Is a quarter the right diameter to act as a spring spacer?
View Quote

Close enough. I made my spacer .990" and a quarter is around .950, but each quarter varies a little.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

But why?, I'm waiting for someone to explain this to me. If anything, going with a carbine buffer, gives you a lot more choices in weights H, H2, H3, etc.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But why?, I'm waiting for someone to explain this to me. If anything, going with a carbine buffer, gives you a lot more choices in weights H, H2, H3, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a spacer, And when it comes to buffer weights, I only see those being a plus in sbrs. If you wanna run carbine buffers run a carbine tube. Ive seen guys get into the spare parts box in the arms room, and shove m16 buffer springs in m4's, carbine buffers in m16 rifles. They end result is a unreliable and damaged rifle. if you got a rifle buffer tube then use the right buffer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Because the carrier will be stopped by the back of the key hitting the top inside rear of the lower instead of the buffer bottoming out and stopping it. This has been shown to break the rear section off some lowers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, the op asked a simple question. Can a carbine buffer be used in rifle length buffer tube. The simple answer is yes, but with the correct length spacer. Let's not make this more complicated than it is. A rifle buffer tube measures 9.625" and a carbine buffer measures 7". If you shorten a rifle buffer tube to 7" (by using a 2.625" spacer) it becomes a carbine buffer tube and you use a carbine buffer and spring. Your rifle has no idea what stock you're using. Like I said in my other post, as long as the spacer isn't too long (causing short stroking) or too short (causing the carrier key to hit the back of your receiver) the rifle will function fine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

300blk vs 6.8?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because it is the correct part for your firearm?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ok, the op asked a simple question. Can a carbine buffer be used in rifle length buffer tube. The simple answer is yes, but with the correct length spacer. Let's not make this more complicated than it is. A rifle buffer tube measures 9.625" and a carbine buffer measures 7". If you shorten a rifle buffer tube to 7" (by using a 2.625" spacer) it becomes a carbine buffer tube and you use a carbine buffer and spring. Your rifle has no idea what stock you're using. Like I said in my other post, as long as the spacer isn't too long (causing short stroking) or too short (causing the carrier key to hit the back of your receiver) the rifle will function fine.
View Quote

Well said!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
As mentioned above, the main reason you do not use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube is that the bolt carrier gas key will slam into the charging handle and the ring portion of the lower receiver.  I have seen photos of broken receivers resulting from this.  Just use the correct part for your application.  I see no reason why anyone would bother buying a costly spacer just so they could use a carbine buffer and spring in a rifle tube.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]
This will be my last post on this subject. Guys, keep in mind that we are in a DIY section of a gun forum. If people aren't comfortable with doing things themselves, they should be in a different section and stick to what they're comfortable with. There is nothing wrong with putting a spacer in a rifle buffer tube and using a carbine buffer and spring. As long as you understand that there could be issues if the spacer is left out or the incorrect size. If you're not comfortable doing this then use a rifle buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As mentioned above, the main reason you do not use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube is that the bolt carrier gas key will slam into the charging handle and the ring portion of the lower receiver.  I have seen photos of broken receivers resulting from this.  Just use the correct part for your application.  I see no reason why anyone would bother buying a costly spacer just so they could use a carbine buffer and spring in a rifle tube.
View Quote

A spacer does not have to be costly.  Adding a spacer is like adding a plug to a shotgun's magazine tube to restrict shell capacity during bird seasons.  With the spacer in place, the internal capacity is the same as a carbine buffer tube, hence the bolt will only travel back as far as if it were in a carbine buffer tube.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Gents, I appreciate the well explained answers. Just for the record, a rifle buffer is on the way. Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top