Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:30:53 PM EDT
Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been browsing it for a while. This is my first build and I am stuck or confused about the fitment of barrels to handguards to gas blocks. I would like a high quality 5.56 16" barrel. I would also like a handguard rail that covers the barrel at least 3/4 of the way or more. I went on ar15builder.com and I was mixing and matching barrels to handguards and most of the time it tells me they are not compatible. What should I know before spending my money on parts that wont fit together? Any recommendations on barrels? on gas blocks/systems? I would also like a long gas line.
Example of the handguard:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3058145777/troy-industries-bravo-battle-rail-free-float-quad-rail-handguard-ar-15?cm_vc=ProductFinding
This is not the exact one I want but something along those lines.
So basically my question is.... does it matter what barrel/handgurad combination I buy? Will I have a problem with the gas system?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
16" barrel with midlength gas, lo-pro gas block .750", 12-13" handguard.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you buy the right length gas tube for the port location on the barrel you buy. The two common gas lengths for 16" barrels are carbine and mid length.

Get a low profile gas block like the YHM 9383 and a 12" or so free float rail. The free float rail will cover the gas block.

The most common diameter at the gas port is .750. Some lightweight barrels are .625 and you will need a corresponding gas block to whichever aize you go with. If the diameter isn't listed it's usually a .750 diameter at the gas block.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
OK that's helps a lot! Thank You!
Would you recommend a longer barrel length? Any particular companies you would recommend?

What are your thoughts about this barrel?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/985190/daniel-defense-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-government-contour-mid-length-gas-port-1-in-7-twist-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-chrome-moly-matte

Worth the money or should I look for something else?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It is difficult to make a barrel recommendation without knowing more about what you intend to do with the rifle. How important is the ability to shoot tight groups?

IMO Daniel Defense makes decent barrels but they are expensive for what you get.

A 16" barrel is a good general purpose length. If yoy wanted to do a lot of long range shooting I would reccomend an 18 or 20 for the extra velocity as the bullets won't get blown around quite as much.

Larue makes some really nice barrels. Black Hole Weaponry has a good reputation. ARP and MicroMOA both have a good reputation.

If you want accuracy I would look at the 1 MOA all day long thread and see which ones are actually being used a lot. Larue, Black Hole Weaponry, Douglas, Kreiger and even some DPMS's show up multiple times.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
1 MOA all day long thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
ok thank you, i will look at the thread. Grouping is not that important but as I am spending a lot of $$ might as well get the best
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe Ballistic Advantage has a big barrel sale going this weekend. I believe they would provide more bang for buck than the DD barrel. I would also look at Micro MOA and AR15performance.com. All of those are good options that aren't too expensive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok thank you, i will look at the thread. Grouping is not that important but as I am spending a lot of $$ might as well get the best
View Quote

unless shooting 1 moa all day long is what you plan on doing with this rifle, i wouldn't go that route.

you can build a very nice carbine for little money,and what little you have said about what you need, i would stay away from a precision rig.

you can spend all sortsa cash on an ar, but past a certain point, its just wasted
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top