Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
Can someone give me the actual length of a rifle buffer tube. I need it from the inside of the tube to the end. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, 92 views and no one has a rifle length buffer tube they can measure for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#2]
9 11/16"  Inside back to end with threads
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can someone give me the actual length of a rifle buffer tube. I need it from the inside of the tube to the end. Thanks
View Quote

9.625"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9 11/16"  Inside back to end with threads
View Quote

Guess I shouldn't have stopped for a cup of coffee before posting, lol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, greatly appreciated. The reason I asked is because I'm using a carbine buffer (spikes tactical ST-T2) and spring in a rifle buffer tube and needed to know how long of a spacer I need. I didn't get the rifle buffer tube yet, so I couldn't measure it myself. Since the rifle buffer tube is 9.625" and the carbine buffer tube is 7", that means I need to make a 2.625" spacer. Thanks again for the help, time to play on the lathe
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
why didn't you just buy the tube, rifle buffer and rifle spring all at the same time. The spring and buffer would have been like $10 more
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd recommend getting a rifle length buffer and the appropriate length spring
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Why??
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please explain why you feel this way
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Buying the right parts for the job would save you trouble of engineering a never been tested fix to adapt a carbine buffer and spring that's too short.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because its the correct part?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buying the right parts for the job would save you trouble of engineering a never been tested fix to adapt a carbine buffer and spring that's too short.
View Quote

That statement is not true. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tube-hardware/ar-15-m16-buffer-spacer-prod44889.aspx

I've been going back and forth on two different threads about the same subject. Once you put a spacer in a rifle buffer tube, the tube becomes the same length as a carbine buffer tube and you use a carbine buffer and spring. Your rifle has no idea what stock you're using. I would suggest that people only do what they're comfortable with. Once again, there is nothing wrong with using a carbine buffer and spring in a rifle buffer tube as long as you use the correct size spacer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for showing me an example of the spacer.  I learn something new here each day.  I now understand what you're saying regarding  interior capacity reduction.  It's like plugging the magazine tube on a shotgun for hunting purposes.  For some reason i was picturing a spacer added to the buffer itself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you for showing me an example of the spacer.  I learn something new here each day.  I now understand what you're saying regarding  interior capacity reduction.  It's like plugging the magazine tube on a shotgun for hunting purposes.  For some reason i was picturing a spacer added to the buffer itself.
View Quote

No problem. I too learn something new here everyday as well and that is why I'm on here. I love finding out new things and passing it on if I can.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I learned something new!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top