Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 2:38:58 PM EDT

Can an AR-15 jig be used to machine an AR-10 lower or are jigs specific to the size? I'm thinkin' they are size specific but I just want to make sure of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
First all, there are no stupid questions.

The AR-10 receiver is a lot bigger than the 15's.  That's why most places that sell the jig for the 15 also sell one for the 10.  Does that mean that you can't build a 15 that fires a .308 caliber projectile? Nope.  There's the 300 Blackout, but there is not really any perceivable advantage to that over, say, a AK-47 until you make it a short barrel rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The AR-10 receiver is a lot bigger than the 15's.  That's why most places that sell the jig for the 15 also sell one for the 10.  Does that mean that you can't build a 15 that fires a .308 caliber projectile? Nope.  There's the 300 Blackout, but there is not really any perceivable advantage to that over, say, a AK-47 until you make it a short barrel rifle.
View Quote

No perceived advantage over an AK-47?  Sure there's not, unless you like accuracy, use of your 5.56 brass, use of your 5.56 bolt, feeds better in the AR platform, and is far easier to suppress.  Other than that you are correct, no perceived advantage.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
have you ever seen the sizes of the mags......   and then ask the question
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No perceived advantage over an AK-47?  Sure there's not, unless you like accuracy, use of your 5.56 brass, use of your 5.56 bolt, feeds better in the AR platform, and is far easier to suppress.  Other than that you are correct, no perceived advantage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balistically.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, I have not. That being said, I do know the receivers are of two different sizes (as I stated in my original post). What I did not know was whether or not there was some "adjust-ability"  (for lack of a better term) in the jigs. My question has been answered and apparently there is not.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Balistically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balistically.

"accuracy" falls under the "ballistics" umbrella.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balistically.

More importantly, the idea is that the 300 Blackout projectile is much more stable and has a better trajectory than 7.62x39. That, along with all of the other things you already spoke about make it a good option for the ues of such a large projectile in the AR-15 platform.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to chill out. OP asked a legitimate question that he didn't know the answer to.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

thou thenthitive

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, I have not. That being said, I do know the receivers are of two different sizes (as I stated in my original post). What I did not know was whether or not there was some "adjust-ability"  (for lack of a better term) in the jigs. My question has been answered and apparently there is not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what he's asking...

Are the Fire Control Group and SEAR pockets the same size on the AR-10 as they are on the AR-15 ?
I don't know the answer to the question.

since they use the same lower parts kit, I would assume they are the same size pockets with the same interrelated dimensions...

so in theory.. you could purchase an AR-10 jig set and rig it to mount to an AR-15 lower (it would just stick out past the pivot pin a little)..

Anyone have an AR-10 receiver and an AR-15 receiver that they can photo? (aligning from the safety holes?)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top