Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 3:22:15 PM EDT
Hi everyone, just wanted to share my first AR pistol build with you. I am splitting this post into 2 because I am getting limited to 2,000 characters because I am new. My goal with this build was to stay under $500 without sacrificing too much quality.  This is going to primarily be a trunk/car gun, so I wanted to keep it relatively cheap in case it got stolen.  Here is my parts list with my thoughts on each piece:

Blemished 10.5" Upper with BCG and Charging Handle with a standard A2 flash hider and a 10" free float quad rail.  - Mid State Firearms - $299.99
I really like this upper for the price.  The BCG is a little tight, but I think it will loosen up with use.  Also the charging handle seems a little flimsy, so I may upgrade that at some point.  They did have options on their site to upgrade, I just did not choose to do to.  I was not too sure about the company, as I could not find much feedback about them, but I am pleased with the quality.  Everything seems solid, and the parts only took 4 days after my order to receive.  The only blemishes I noticed were on the quad rail. A couple of the edges were rounded (see pic) but nothing major.  I have not got a chance to shoot yet, but I feel like the upper will hold up well.

Pistol Buffer Tube Kit – Mid State Firearms - $39.99
I added in the pistol buffer tube kit from Mid State with my upper purchase.  They have a flat $10 shipping rate, so I figured, why not.  The kit seems pretty standard.  It had all the parts, and an ambidextrous sling mount, so that was a plus.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Anderson Arms Lower receiver – via Gunbroker.com at my local FFL - $45 + $7 ffl fee – total $52
I picked up an Anderson lower because it was pretty cheap, and it was being sold by my local FFL, so that was a plus.  The lower seems to be fairly good quality, but I noticed the finish is not as nice as my PSA lower on my other AR.  The finish scratches fairly easily, but that does not bother me much.  All the holes lined up and all the pins went in without issue, so that is a plus for me.

Spikes Tactical Standard LPK – PrimaryArms.com - $64.53  shipped
This is one of the parts I didn't want to go too cheap on.  I feel like the LPK is pretty good quality, and the trigger is smooth out of the box.  I didn't need to do any polishing to get grittiness out, which was nice.  The Spikes Tactical kit also came with and extra spring and detent, which is nice because they are easy to lose.  The only thing I didn't like about the kit is that the safety selector seems to be a little loose.  I think I am going to try the extra spring that came with the kit to see it it adds more tension so that I wont accidentally switch from safe to fire

Field Sport Red and Green Reflex Sight with 4 Reticles  - Amazon.com – $20.21 shipped
I know I am going to get bashed for this one, but I have never used a red dot before and didn't want to spend a lot on my first.  Also, I was trying to keep the build under $500, so I decided on a cheap optic for now. I debated on going with iron sights, but this sight has over 1,000 ratings on amazon and it is a 4 star rating, so I thought I would give it a shot.  I have not had a chance to shoot yet, but just looking through the sight, it seems to be pretty decent.

All in all I feel like the build was successful.  My grand total came in at $487.94, just under my $500 budget.  I have not had a chance to shoot yet, but I feel pretty good about the build.  Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats, looks great!

I will give you shit about that "optic" though. Get rid of it ASAP and just buy a Vortex Strikefire or Primary Arms red dot for around $100. They will be MILES ahead the optic you have.

All in all, good build.

Its a definite sickness though, you're going to want to build more haha. I love my 10.5" Hardened Arms build.

Enjoy that little bugger
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice, but make sure it is secured when in the trunk of the vehicle so it is difficult for anyone intent on a snatch and run. Run a cable through the handguard and secure it to the body of the vehicle with an eye bolt and lock. Better yet, take it with you when you leave the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, but make sure it is secured when in the trunk of the vehicle so it is difficult for anyone intent on a snatch and run. Run a cable through the handguard and secure it to the body of the vehicle with an eye bolt and lock. Better yet, take it with you when you leave the vehicle.
View Quote

I actually have a 3 racquet tennis racquet case that I converted to a carrying case.  I have a hatchback and plan to secure the case to the compartment where the spare tire sits, which is hidden under a carpeted board.  Hoping that someone doing a smash and grab would not think to look there, and even if they did, they would overlook the "tennis racquets".  If not, I will have it cabled to the frame through the bottom of the case.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
In the state of PA, you lose your LTCF if an unsecured firearm is stolen from your car.

Under those circumstances, I would recommend keeping the AR for home defense & something concealable on your person.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the state of PA, you lose your LTCF if an unsecured firearm is stolen from your car.

Under those circumstances, I would recommend keeping the AR for home defense & something concealable on your person.
View Quote

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find anything through a Google search. Not calling BS, I've just never heard that before.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find anything through a Google search. Not calling BS, I've just never heard that before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This....the only thing I can find about losing the permit is below. (I would post the contents, but I am limited to 2000 characters)

http://pennlago.com/how-can-i-lose-my-license-to-carry-a-concealed-firearm-in-pennsylvania/
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats, looks great!

I will give you shit about that "optic" though. Get rid of it ASAP and just buy a Vortex Strikefire or Primary Arms red dot for around $100. They will be MILES ahead the optic you have.

All in all, good build.

Its a definite sickness though, you're going to want to build more haha. I love my 10.5" Hardened Arms build.

Enjoy that little bugger
View Quote

Ok....you were right about the optic.....that POS lasted about 12 shots then started crapping out....lol.  Needless to say it is going back.  I am going to go with a Primary Arms red dot.  The question is.....which would you guys recommend.  I am looking at the 3 below.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_30mm_Red_Dot_GEN_II_p/pa30mmrdgenii.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_Removable_Base_Gen_II_NV_p/md-rbgii.htm

Opinions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok....you were right about the optic.....that POS lasted about 12 shots then started crapping out....lol.  Needless to say it is going back.  I am going to go with a Primary Arms red dot.  The question is.....which would you guys recommend.  I am looking at the 3 below.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_30mm_Red_Dot_GEN_II_p/pa30mmrdgenii.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_Removable_Base_Gen_II_NV_p/md-rbgii.htm

Opinions?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats, looks great!

All in all, good build.

Enjoy that little bugger

Opinions?

Thanks!

Of those three, I recommend the third one. (Micro dot with removable base). Excellent optics and will last you at least a few years and many rounds. I have the previous gen and It's going strong for 5 years. My buddy has the new gen which is the one you linked. It's got better specs.

There's a hardcore test on the web with a dude abusing it following up with a birdshot blast at the end. Survived all tests.

Here's the torture test

Great company.

I recommend getting a good mount for it too. I'm partial to American Defense, but I can also recommend larue.

(I only use QD mounts)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Of those three, I recommend the third one. (Micro dot with removable base). Excellent optics and will last you at least a few years and many rounds. I have the previous gen and It's going strong for 5 years. My buddy has the new gen which is the one you linked. It's got better specs.

There's a hardcore test on the web with a dude abusing it following up with a birdshot blast at the end. Survived all tests.

Here's the torture test

Great company.

I recommend getting a good mount for it too. I'm partial to American Defense, but I can also recommend larue.

(I only use QD mounts)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats, looks great!

All in all, good build.

Enjoy that little bugger

Opinions?

Thanks!

Here's the torture test

Great company.

(I only use QD mounts)

Same here....plus OP, I don't think you're quite done with this one. There are 2 more steps (step 2 is optional):
Step one, SBR that thing.
Step two, get a can
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Hi guys!  Thanks for the feedback.  I ended up going with the Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII and a Radical Firearms Micro Red Dot Riser and I love it!  worked great, and had it sighted in within 3 adjustments.  The only thing I ran into is that my quadrail was a little too wide for the mount, so I had to mount it to the rail on the upper.  It is a little closer than I wanted it to be, but it isnt bad.  I might end up using a dremel to shave a section of the handguard quadrail down so it will fit.

As for the SBR and can, I thought about the SBR since the whole"shouldering the sig brace" is apparently a no-go now, but I am going to play with it as is for now and might just end up keeping it that way.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll call straight up BS on your assertion. How can a person be punished for having a crime committed against them?

I'm not from Missouri, but you are going to have to show me that to prove it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hi guys!  Thanks for the feedback.  I ended up going with the Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII and a Radical Firearms Micro Red Dot Riser and I love it!  worked great, and had it sighted in within 3 adjustments.  The only thing I ran into is that my quadrail was a little too wide for the mount, so I had to mount it to the rail on the upper.  It is a little closer than I wanted it to be, but it isnt bad.  I might end up using a dremel to shave a section of the handguard quadrail down so it will fit.

As for the SBR and can, I thought about the SBR since the whole"shouldering the sig brace" is apparently a no-go now, but I am going to play with it as is for now and might just end up keeping it that way.
View Quote

Nice pistol op.

I've kept mine a pistol just because I can keep a mag in it while it's in my truck which can't be done with a rifle.

I have 2 PA red dots and love them..

Shouldering the brace was always a no go, just it wasn't as big of a deal till recently.

Me personally like the red dot on the upper rail so I can focus with both eyes open and again it's my preference
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice build. I'm a fan of simple builds: lighter and less problems.
Some back up sights and a light would be nice.
Oh, and a sling. Gotta have a sling . . .

I have a sight like that. Still have to do a durability test on it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I have added a couple updated pictures with the new PA sight included.  I plan to add some backup sights, I just have not decided on what brand or type I want to go with yet, any suggestions?.  Also, any suggestions on slings?  I wanted to add a single point at some point to use as a brace to shoot (slung cross body tightly then pushing it out to put tension on it) but I really have not done much research into that yet, so any suggestions would help.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/b3nny0/IMG_20150711_193933450_zpsdobtxcvq.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/b3nny0/IMG_20150711_194011528_zps1blie3w2.jpg
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top