Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2015 2:23:44 AM EDT
Has anyone had any success making their own adjustable gas block from a lo profile GB (or any other type of GB for that matter)?

I'm ready to give it a try and would like to get some ideas on how others have approached it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone had any success making their own adjustable gas block from a lo profile GB (or any other type of GB for that matter)?

I'm ready to give it a try and would like to get some ideas on how others have approached it.
View Quote
l

Yes, from scratch though. I used SLR's design with there permission. At the time there's wouldn't fit under my rail now there newest one will.
Made out of G5 titanium

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks terrific.

I made one also from titanium but I went with my own two piece design so I could change if I had to on a 14.5" barrel with pin comp.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You both definitely have great fabrication skills. Thanks for posting up the pics.

What size screws did you both end up using? M4-M6?

I was thinking about a forward facing adjustment screw as well. Probably use a allen head cap screw with a jamb nut to keep it simple.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the adjustment screw readily available, or are they custom made?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The socket head cap screw is just a standard screw. The set screw on the side has a spring and ball built into it. I put slots in the SHCS so it clicks every quarter turn.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the adjustment screw readily available, or are they custom made?
View Quote

No, the SLR one is made for them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The gas block being converted is very contoured and doesn't have much material between the gas tube and barrel so I went from the side to hit the gas channel in the block. It looks like only 4 threads before it hits the channel. Hope it's enough. Have to pick up a M4 screw and from Ace tomorrow. .

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow this is awesome! Johnny, i wish i knew, but ill have to ask. what is the stainless looking thing in front of your gas block? just security?

Ill have to look into a diy soon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow this is awesome! Johnny, i wish i knew, but ill have to ask. what is the stainless looking thing in front of your gas block? just security?

Ill have to look into a diy soon.
View Quote

It's the gas block locking/sealing nut and gate latch suppressor mount. It's also Ti

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the reply. looks badass!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I love to see the talent some people have and their dedication to fit and finish...  

Well back to my little project... it ain't best prettiest thing I've done, but it ain't the ugliest either....

The screw goes all the way across the gas channel so it should work saving me about $40+ over getting a cheap adjustable. Won't be able to see it under the rail anyway...
This is screwed all the way in. Used a little alumablack to blacken the zinc nut and washer. M4 screw

Looks like I lucked out and it will be accessible without removing the rail, so long as the lock nut is reachable with a small box end wrench from the front. It doesn't need to be very tight, just enough to keep the screw from walking I suspect.    

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top