Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2015 7:24:12 PM EDT
So a few months ago I squawked about problems I had with several Anderson parts- LPK parts that were cast horribly, a front take down pin that was too short, and a stripped upper with porous holes in it, an un-staked gas key...Anderson did step up and replaced all of those parts with absolutely beautiful replacement parts.

I picked up another Anderson stripped lower, began to build it, and something weird was going on with the front take down holes. The pin would not slide in all the way through one side to the other without a LOT of force, and even then I couldn't get it all the way through. I tried a different pin- same result. If you don't push the pin all the way until it starts into the hole in the other side, it slides freely- same with the other side...so it seems like the two holes are 'off', and don't line up, as if the front is warped a bit.  Never seen that before...anyone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine actually does or well...did that. I just worked the pin a few times and its loosened up a bit. Its still tight but not like it was.

I didn't bother contacting Anderson about it because I didn't think it was a big deal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 Anderson stripped lowers, all from the same shipment to the lgs. No issues so far.  One fully built and has about 150rds downrange with absolutely perfect function.  One dry fitted to the same upper, no issues with the takedown pin.   I'll check the third lower tonight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I had that with an Olympic lower, only you could not get the pivot pin to even enter the off side hole regardless of which side you started it from; it was drilled that crooked.  A one-quarter inch drill bit drilled through one side and out the other fixed that in about 10 seconds.  It's been right as rain for over 10 years now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of Andersons but have only built one. That one went together flawlessly. Was yours one with the forged trigger guard?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about the front takedown pin, I had the same problem. Couple of turns of a .250 reamer and its gtg.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are talking about the front takedown pin, I had the same problem. Couple of turns of a .250 reamer and its gtg.
View Quote

I have one with the same issue. Haven't bothered doing anything about it though. Figure once my F1 comes back, I won't be switching uppers that often.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Try sliding the pin in and out without the spring & detent in place.  If it works smoothly it could be the spring & detent channel is drilled at a slight angle.  I fixed this on mine by filing on the head of the pivot pin.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine was tight when I assembled it on just the lower.  When I attached the upper to mine, it slides just fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If I insert the rear takedown pin in first,the front one slides in easy. Otherwise it doesn't go in.

I must push  the rear takledown pin out first to dis-assemble, since the front won't slide out if the rear is in.

Of course PMags don't drop free either on the last 4 Andy lowers.Both Intregal trigger guard and open versions
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Uneven anodizing? Slowly run a drill bit through the hole or rotate the end of the pivot pin in some sandpaper. Assemble, shoot the thing.  WIN!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks guys, I'll try 'polishing' the inside of the holes...and to be clear- it is a completely unassembled lower, after having the take down pin that was too short on the last one, I tried sliding this one in just to be sure before I put the detent in...so just the pin by itself hangs up to where I cave to beat it out with a punch if I force it from one side to the other.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I just built 3 Anderson lowers with no issues. Everything fit fine. As long as I can keep getting the Anderson lowers for $35 I see no reason not to continue using them. Between the cost of the lowers and the uppers and build kit deals at PSA it's never been a better time to do a few builds. I'm racking up my Cabelas points too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear about your issues.....but I have not seen them.

The three Anderson lowers that I have built out have been perfect. 2 PSA standard lower kits for M4 builds, 1 CMMG lower kit for the A3 build. Everything works perfectly and locks up right as rain.

I will not hesitate to buy more Anderson lowers for my next builds.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#15]
been busy.  will try tonight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I insert the rear takedown pin in first,the front one slides in easy. Otherwise it doesn't go in.

I must push  the rear takledown pin out first to dis-assemble, since the front won't slide out if the rear is in.

Of course PMags don't drop free either on the last 4 Andy lowers.Both Intregal trigger guard and open versions
View Quote

Any chance your buffer tube is screwed in too far?  I had a situation like you described, backed out the buffer tube one turn at that was it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Any chance your buffer tube is screwed in too far?  I had a situation like you described, backed out the buffer tube one turn at that was it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think so, but now I just have to go outside in the warm barn and check.

Maybe I should turn on the air first and watch some more White Sox batting practice while it's cooling down
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't think so, but now I just have to go outside in the warm barn and check.

Maybe I should turn on the air first and watch some more White Sox batting practice while it's cooling down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They came back!  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The buffer pushes on the bcg, thus putting forward pressure on the upper. When you put the rear pin in first, that is why your front goes in easy (no pressure on the front pin anymore). The simple solution (and how most people do it) is to just gently push back (upper towards receiver extension) the upper as you assemble/disassemble. This takes the tension off of the pins.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
slight polishing eased things up a bit...but I won't know how it worked for sure due to another snag- the Anderson LPK was missing a trigger/hammer pin
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Good things are never cheap and cheap things are never good!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Anderson has great customer service.........I had a BCG that was a turd..........Called them and talked to someone in CS, they emailed me postage and I told them I had already purchased another one..........They told me they would put the money back on my card, which they promptly did..........

I have three of their lowers, two uppers and two parts kits in service........also purchased a 308/762x51 barrel that I used on a PA10 build.......no issues with anything from them..........other than the BCG
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right.

OP....why do you keep buying Anderson parts?  I will never buy Anderson when there are plenty of other mil-spec parts/receivers to buy.

Google Einstein's definition of insanity.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty happy with the Anderson Slick Side Upper I got for $50 Shipped. The tolerances are pretty tight when it comes to the lower receiver fit. My PSA upper had a ton of slop, and wasn't as nicely finished either.

No experience on their lowers however. It seems much easier to fuck up a lower receivers specs, than a slick side upper.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
because I'm stupid, I guess! However, I think I have finally learned my lesson...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
because I'm stupid, I guess! However, I think I have finally learned my lesson...
View Quote

I wouldn't feel too bad. Honestly I purchased a $180 lower, and it was out of spec. But my Blem PSA's/Aeros I got for $50-$60 were all gtg.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#27]
i had an aero lower that i had the same problem. i lubed the pin and worked it in or out a few times. whatever the problem was it is now gone.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wouldn't feel too bad. Honestly I purchased a $180 lower, and it was out of spec. But my Blem PSA's/Aeros I got for $50-$60 were all gtg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i remember noveske having some finish problems a year or so ago. every company has problems. my sample size is small but my 3 anderson lowers have been fine just like my meda, spikes aero, and stag lowers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Right.

OP....why do you keep buying Anderson parts?  I will never buy Anderson when there are plenty of other mil-spec parts/receivers to buy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.

Dude, people throw Mil-spec and match grade around like dead cats...........The only people hyping milspec stuff are people who have military contracts and their hardware is line inspected by the US gov't...........
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top