Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2015 12:39:35 AM EDT
Hello, long time lurker here.  I have been wanting to get my first AR for a while now and decided to build my own.  Here is my build list:

Upper Receiver: Mega
Lower Receiver: Mega
BCG: Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron
Upper receiver Parts kit: DPMS
Buffer Tube: Primary Weapons System Enhanced Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring: Tubb SpeedLock
Buffer: Primary Weapons System H2
Charging Handle:  Rainier Raptor
Barrel:  Daniel Defense 16” Mid Length CHF Gov Profile
Flash Supressor: Battle Comp 2.1
Gas Block: Daniel Defense Low Profile
Rail: Yankee Hill Diamond FF and end cap
BUIS: Troy foldable
Optic: Aimpoint PRO
Stock: Magpul CTR
Grip: Magpul Miad 1.1
Fore Grip: Magpul AFG
Lower Receiver Parts kit: DPMS
Trigger: Timney 3lb
Sling: Magpul MS4
Magpul B.A.D. lever
Magpul Enhanced Recoil Pad

Everything on the list is ordered and on its way except for the upper and lower receiver.  A shop locally carries Mega and has the upper and lower in stock and I plan on picking those up tomorrow afternoon.  I have done a ton of research on the inner workings of the weapon and read and watched more than a few build guides.  My only question is in regard to the gas system and specifically buffer weight.  The chrome silicon buffer spring I ordered is apparently pretty stiff and the buffer is an h2 weight.  This rifle will have a mid length gas system.  Will this work well or should I anticipate cycling issues?  Everything I have read (and please correct me if I'm wrong) says to use a standard weight buffer with a mid length system.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Any other comments or suggestions for this build are also welcome and appreciated!    
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Where in TX does a shop have Mega forged uppers and lowers in stock?

Sorry, I don't have any info for you on the fancy chrome silicon spring/ buffer weight combo.  All my rifles work just fine with standard springs.  I have never had a need to upgrade the spring.  Maybe I'm missing out on something?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
DSG Arms in Burleson (essentially south Ft. Worth) website says it has mega forged and billet uppers/lowers in stock.  I'm going to check the shop out tomorrow and will report back with my findings.

Edit:  The showroom is open by appointment only to CHL holders and LEO/Military.  I sent them an e-mail and hopefully they allow me to swing by.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello, long time lurker here.  I have been wanting to get my first AR for a while now and decided to build my own.  Here is my build list:

Upper Receiver: Mega forged
Lower Receiver: Mega Forged
BCG: Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron
Upper receiver Parts kit: DPMS
Buffer Tube: Primary Weapons System Enhanced Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring: Tubb SpeedLock
Buffer: Primary Weapons System H2
BCG: Spikes Nickel Boron
Charging Handle:  Rainier Raptor
Barrel:  Daniel Defense 16” Mid Length CHF Gov Profile
Flash Supressor: Battle Comp 2.1
Gas Block: Daniel Defense Low Profile
Rail: Yankee Hill Diamond FF and end cap    This might be to heavy for your liking. I had one and got rid of it before I even used it, But who knows, you might like it.
BUIS: Troy foldable
Optic: Aimpoint PRO
Stock: Magpul CTR
Grip: Magpul Miad 1.1
Fore Grip: Magpul AFG
Lower Receiver Parts kit: DPMS
Trigger: Timney 3lb
Sling: Magpul MS4
Magpul B.A.D. lever
Magpul Enhanced Recoil Pad

Everything on the list is ordered and on its way except for the upper and lower receiver.  A shop locally carries Mega and has the upper and lower in stock and I plan on picking those up tomorrow afternoon.  I have done a ton of research on the inner workings of the weapon and read and watched more than a few build guides.  My only question is in regard to the gas system and specifically buffer weight.  The chrome silicon buffer spring I ordered is apparently pretty stiff and the buffer is an h2 weight.  This rifle will have a mid length gas system.  Will this work well or should I anticipate cycling issues?  Everything I have read (and please correct me if I'm wrong) says to use a standard weight buffer with a mid length system.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Any other comments or suggestions for this build are also welcome and appreciated!    
View Quote

As for the gas system, the only way to find out is to build it and fire it.  The gas port will play a role also but it should be fine, you can always tune it with different buffers.  
Use full power 5.56 ammo when you test it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up on the rail weight.  I will keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a great build. Please let us know how everything goes with this build.  I am leaning towards the same upper and lower receivers for an upcoming build.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I am running Tubb’s CS flatwire spring and a H2 buffer in a similar setup with no problems.
Even the military is moving away from the standard buffer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I hope the build goes smoothly.  Picked up my upper and lower receiver today.  Mega Billet with the nickel boron finish .

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like it's gonna be a nice build OP. Just two little things. I agree with previous (that is a heavy rail) and I don't see a gas tube on your list.
I have a build with that same DD barrel and it will chew through any ammo with a standard carbine spring and H buffer or an ST-T2 buffer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Gas tube is included in the upper parts kit.  I will have to see how the rail is, it may need to be sent back.  Any recommendations on a 12" free float quad rail that is nice and light?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Midwest industries ssk 15" rail and love it. The ALG Defense rail is light also along with the BCM. Depends on how much u want to spend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gas tube is included in the upper parts kit.  I will have to see how the rail is, it may need to be sent back.  Any recommendations on a 12" free float quad rail that is nice and light?
View Quote

Slr has a few options for nice and light.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input everyone.  I hope the build goes smoothly.  Picked up my upper and lower receiver today.  Mega Billet with the nickel boron finish .

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/392/19032633286_ff4c3fceb4_o.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that Mega upper/lower is sharp.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got her built!

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/crf1986/20150704_151519%201.jpg
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Fixed it for you.

Nice looking rifle.  Is that a Seekins bolt catch?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Very sharp looking rifle.  Looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fixed it for you.

Nice looking rifle.  Is that a Seekins bolt catch?

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/crf1986/20150704_151519%201.jpg
View Quote

Yes, that is a Seekins.  Shooting it on Wednesday or Thursday.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, after a long wait I finally had an opportunity to go out and test the rifle.  It performed flawlessly!  my aimpoint was way, way off right out of the box.  It took around 20 rounds to even find paper at 25 yards.  Once i got the aimpoint dialed in I was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle.  Shot another 100 rounds through it with perfect function.  I am looking forward to getting to a 100/200 yard range soon and airing it out a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
That buffer seems a bit heavy for a 16" middy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That buffer seems a bit heavy for a 16" middy.
View Quote

I was wondering if it was going to cause issues but so far so good.  I don't know, I may swap it out for a lighter one and see how it runs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, after a long wait I finally had an opportunity to go out and test the rifle.  It performed flawlessly!  my aimpoint was way, way off right out of the box.  It took around 20 rounds to even find paper at 25 yards.  Once i got the aimpoint dialed in I was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle.  Shot another 100 rounds through it with perfect function.  I am looking forward to getting to a 100/200 yard range soon and airing it out a little bit.
View Quote

A little advice to make your next new sight install a little easier.  Remove your upper from the lower, remove the bolt & CH from the upper.  Put the upper on a rest, towel or etc..  so it does not move easily.  Look down the bore and adjust the dot or crosshair to line up with what you are looking at through the bore.  This method typically gets me 5-6in away from whatever I'm aiming at when I'm sighting the rifle in at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A little advice to make your next new sight install a little easier.  Remove your upper from the lower, remove the bolt & CH from the upper.  Put the upper on a rest, towel or etc..  so it does not move easily.  Look down the bore and adjust the dot or crosshair to line up with what you are looking at through the bore.  This method typically gets me 5-6in away from whatever I'm aiming at when I'm sighting the rifle in at 50 yds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes perfect sense!  Thanks for the tip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top