Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2015 6:42:33 PM EDT
Finally finished planning and started buying parts.  My second AR15 is going to be a 22LR pistol.

Starting with this: Tactical Machining 80% lower with a stripped upper still in the white. Planning on clear anodizing them at home.

I'm going to be surprised with a CMMG 22LR conversion kit for Father's day.  That will allow me to shoot 22LR out of my other AR until I get my dedicated 22 built.

The wife also got me a CMMG dedicated 22Lr anti-jam charging handle.  Another nice surprise!

I just bought myself a CMMG 6.5" dedicated 1:16 twist 22LR barrel with barrel collar.  Lets see if I actually get this.  I wanted the Taccom 7" barrel but they were OOS.  I found this place Big Supply Shop that listed one in stock.  Placed an order.  Maybe it will actually show up?  If not I'll have to wait until the Taccom shows back up.

Also ebay'ed a el-cheapo no name 7" free float quad rail.  Not too worried about an el-cheapo on a 22LR build.

I'll finally have a place for all of my Kwikguard rail covers that are just laying around taking up space.

Future purchases include a Shockwave Blade brace and matching KAK pistol buffer tube.

CMMG Ejection Port cover and gas deflector.

KAK flash can

Redi-Mag better mag adapter.

Build Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10CA5FO6_A-Mug_Vbt7znnGlcb5rGZCXMXsWTW4uJbMY/edit?usp=sharing

Will update the post as I make progress
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a nice build. A dedicated 22 is my next project.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Barrel came in today.  Looks like that company I never heard of came though.  Was worried that with old stock of a discontinued item that the 1 showing in stock was some type of inventory mismanagement but they shipped fast, was well packaged, and with no issues.  Swapped the 223 adapter collar for the dedicated collar.  Fitup check with the barrel, bolt, barrel collar, and anti jam charging handle and everything seems good to go.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking good.  Just finishing a 300 Blackout and plan on a dedicated .22 next.  Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my KAK shockwave buffer tube, a quick disconnect end plate, and handguard fit up.  Now I just need to build my lower and put a muzzle device on that extends pass the hand guard and it will be functional.  Will upgrade to the Better Mag adapter, MP15-22 mags, and Shockwave blade after I function test it.

Wanted to get the handguard installed to make sure the flash can I picked out will fit properly with it before I bought it.  3.25" flash can should protrude out of the end of the handguard about 1-1/8"

Will pick up a lower parts kit and get the lower built up in the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
And she's functional!  No ejection port cover or buffer tube covering as of yet.  I'm going back and forth whether I want the Shockwave blade or not.  I'm kind of leaning towards the Thordsen now but that would require a new buffer tube as the KAK shockwave tube is ~1.25" in diameter and won't fit the Thordsen buffer cover.  Next line item will be adding the Better Mag adapter and get some 15-22 mags.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually I lied.  The next item up will be getting rid of the A2 grip.  I don't mind the A2 normally but it quickly became apparent when handling the pistol that I really needed a reduced angle grip.  Will pick up a K2 on my way home from work today.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
sorta looks like mine but i have a 4.5" barrel and a can on it. one of my favorites to shoot. i recommend getting the taccom plug, it really helped mine and havent had a single issue since i installed it
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorta looks like mine but i have a 4.5" barrel and a can on it. one of my favorites to shoot. i recommend getting the taccom plug, it really helped mine and havent had a single issue since i installed it
View Quote

Taccom plug in already :D

No buffer in it though.  CMMG is sending me a new extractor as mine came with the tip pre-chipped off.  I haven't even shot it yet and it already feels like the most fun firearm I own :D
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Electro- Etched the family crest on the side using a 12v wall wort, Qtips, and vinegar/salt.

Gules on a fesse Argent between two tigers passant Or, three mullets pierced Sable.
- Blazon Source: Burke, Sir Bernard. The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. London: Harrison & Sons, 1884.

Didn't pierce the mullets (stars) because I couldn't get that level of detail in the vinyl without the cutter pulling the little pieces out.

Used a harbor freight air eraser to clean it up with a some 220 grit blast media.  I might  eventually paint fill the mark to make it stand out better, not 100% sure yet.

Changed out the A2 for a Magpul reduced angle K2 grip.  The reduced angle grip totally rocks with this setup.  Added a cover for the buffer tube, still not sure if I'm just going to stick with the cover or go with a Shockwave Blade.

I still haven't added the ejection port cover.  That and the better mag adapter will be the next items I'm adding to my build.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Got my gas deflector/ejection port cover and painted the CMMG magazine.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top