Page / 16
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure why I took so long to try this
http://i.imgur.com/LZPkkpt.jpg?1
View Quote

Dude, you are the MAN! Awesome work and an awesome information!

1. There is a thread on TFB, in case anyone missed: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/23/plastic-casting-the-next-step-for-homebuilt-firearms/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

2. Testing receivers. I think that hammer is one test, MEAN arms had another test suspending huge weight from the receiver, but I was contemplating some sort of test machine to test this. Something that's pneumatic to replicate bolt action. The problem is that the way shooter is holding rifle, it may be unique and puts a different stress on different points. Also, firing live rounds adds heat, so I am not sure if something realistic could be made.

3. I have up to 680 rounds on my Task9, steel reinforced receiver. They do last. No problem with it yet.

4. I can see the same questions surface up, like can you do a lost wax method. I should probably make an FAQ with links to answers and add it to the original post.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
THIS should be dead simple to cast...

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/detail/kt15bx.jpg

Not sure there are any left, however.  

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/order.php
View Quote

I don't think that they do, this would indeed be much simpler to cast and actually there is another technique that I'll try to post in the next few days that makes this type of molds much easier to make and cast.

Some parts can be just stamped steel. There is that laser cutting dude that sells flat sheet metal parts that can be welded together, so this can be bolted together and the beauty of it is that if one part of broken, you can unbolt and put another part in. In this kit, I don't know what would be a "receiver".
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  Dude, you are the MAN! Awesome work and an awesome information!

1. There is a thread on TFB, in case anyone missed: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/23/plastic-casting-the-next-step-for-homebuilt-firearms/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

2. Testing receivers. I think that hammer is one test, MEAN arms had another test suspending huge weight from the receiver, but I was contemplating some sort of test machine to test this. Something that's pneumatic to replicate bolt action. The problem is that the way shooter is holding rifle, it may be unique and puts a different stress on different points. Also, firing live rounds adds heat, so I am not sure if something realistic could be made.

3. I have up to 680 rounds on my Task9, steel reinforced receiver. They do last. No problem with it yet.

4. I can see the same questions surface up, like can you do a lost wax method. I should probably make an FAQ with links to answers and add it to the original post.
View Quote

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/23/plastic-casting-the-next-step-for-homebuilt-firearms
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  I don't think that they do, this would indeed be much simpler to cast and actually there is another technique that I'll try to post in the next few days that makes this type of molds much easier to make and cast.

Some parts can be just stamped steel. There is that laser cutting dude that sells flat sheet metal parts that can be welded together, so this can be bolted together and the beauty of it is that if one part of broken, you can unbolt and put another part in. In this kit, I don't know what would be a "receiver".
View Quote

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/647105_Steel_AR_flats_from_the_Flat_Spot.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/648352_I_welded_together_a_steel_receiver_from_theflatspot_net__Now_with_functional_selector__pg_2.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of Task 9: never, ever cast Task 9 in a Lego mold box.  I think the only way to get a Task 9 casting out of a Lego box is going to prove to be with a hammer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Do any of you guys know the AR15 impulse of the bolt?

I am thinking about building a testing rig to simulate live fire but at a cheaper rate. I will probably make a test upper with "bolt" driven by some pneumatic force.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Do any of you guys know the AR15 impulse of the bolt?

I am thinking about building a testing rig to simulate live fire but at a cheaper rate. I will probably make a test upper with "bolt" driven by some pneumatic force.
View Quote

Considered steel-case 9x19mm?    Blowback 9mm is probably a harder test on the lower than .223".
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Considered steel-case 9x19mm?    Blowback 9mm is probably a harder test on the lower than .223".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Do any of you guys know the AR15 impulse of the bolt?

I doubt it, 556 is x3 energy of 9mm. I think that most problems with 9mm is shitty design/craftsmanship, FCG. In any case, 9mm is not free either.

The way to really compare receivers is to fire several receivers of each kind until breaking point. We are talking about tens of thousands of ammo. In Soviet Union tests involve x100 or more rounds, that's the way it should be done.

Actually not a bad idea is to contact some of those guys in NV who rent out guns. They go through 10's of thou rounds daily and obviously see the worst abuse there is. I doubt that they would want to deal with anything like this though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  I doubt it, 556 is x3 energy of 9mm. I think that most problems with 9mm is shitty design/craftsmanship, FCG. In any case, 9mm is not free either.

The way to really compare receivers is to fire several receivers of each kind until breaking point. We are talking about tens of thousands of ammo. In Soviet Union tests involve x100 or more rounds, that's the way it should be done.

Actually not a bad idea is to contact some of those guys in NV who rent out guns. They go through 10's of thou rounds daily and obviously see the worst abuse there is. I doubt that they would want to deal with anything like this though.
View Quote

They're an SOT who make their own machineguns, so they could do this easily.  However, AR lowers are cheap enough for them, as they're not breaking anyway, and not many customers would be willing to pay to stress test a plastic lower to failure.

.223" does have a lot more energy than 9x19mm, but generally in the AR the 9x19mm is straight blowback, which tends to stress the AR lower receiver extension boss more than .223" firing from a locked breech.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They're an SOT who make their own machineguns, so they could do this easily.  However, AR lowers are cheap enough for them, as they're not breaking anyway, and not many customers would be willing to pay to stress test a plastic lower to failure.

.223" does have a lot more energy than 9x19mm, but generally in the AR the 9x19mm is straight blowback, which tends to stress the AR lower receiver extension boss more than .223" firing from a locked breech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I doubt it, 556 is x3 energy of 9mm. I think that most problems with 9mm is shitty design/craftsmanship, FCG. In any case, 9mm is not free either.

Let me understand this. There are two main stressors, the recoil and the bolt going back (most of that should be absorbed by the buffer spring?) In a locked breach, most of energy goes into rifle itself, smaller portion into bolt. In a blowback, most of the energy goes into the bolt, which is heavier. I thought that buffer should absorb the energy of the bolt. I am not sure how this works. Which one is the "receiver extension boss"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let me understand this. There are two main stressors, the recoil and the bolt going back (most of that should be absorbed by the buffer spring?) In a locked breach, most of energy goes into rifle itself, smaller portion into bolt. In a blowback, most of the energy goes into the bolt, which is heavier. I thought that buffer should absorb the energy of the bolt. I am not sure how this works. Which one is the "receiver extension boss"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, this is a bit complicated, so bear with me (and if others have it better, please correct my errors)

Direct Impingement: When the cartridge is fired, the bolt is pushed back but held by locking to the breach of the barrel. so the whole rifle moved backward against the resistance provided by the shooter's shoulder.  This will provide axial stresses at the rear threads, as well as a bending moment.  When the lugs release the BCG continued rearward against the recoil spring, which is resisted by the end of the tube, putting an axial stress on the threads.  IF the spring is too weak the buffer will bang into the back of the tube, which now provides a shock component to the axial stresses, increasing their amplitude.

Blowback: Now all the force of the recoiling assembly is directed back against the spring.  The bending moment on the threads are reduced a bit, but the axial loads are increased, and they are sharper - higher amplitude, shorter duration.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Let me understand this. There are two main stressors, the recoil and the bolt going back (most of that should be absorbed by the buffer spring?) In a locked breach, most of energy goes into rifle itself, smaller portion into bolt. In a blowback, most of the energy goes into the bolt, which is heavier. I thought that buffer should absorb the energy of the bolt. I am not sure how this works. Which one is the "receiver extension boss"?
View Quote

The weak bit.    The receiver extension is the buffer tube, just the "proper name" for it.  The receiver extension boss is what the buffer tube screws into, and what we're most concerned about breaking when we use material of lesser strength than aluminum.

In the locked breech AR, the recoil is transmitted to the stock through the receiver extension boss, and if using a rifle stock, also through the area directly below the boss.  There's a secondary force as the bolt unlocks and the BCG comes rearward, pressing on the spring, which ultimately is producing a torque on the receiver extension boss.

In the blowback AR, while the recoil may be less, the secondary force may be greater, as all the force of the cartridge extracting presses against the end of the buffer tube.  That force again produces a torque on the receiver extension boss.

It's probably pretty easy to figure out @ what point a given material will yield @ in the AR lower without shooting it.  Screw a rifle length buffer tube into the receiver, fix the lower in a vise, and press down on the end of the buffer tube until the receiver boss breaks.  Almost all AR lowers will break at the point between the rear takedown pin hole and the receiver extension boss, no matter the material.  It's just a question of how much force it will take to break them.

Given 7075 aluminum lowers are down to $50, that can give us a baseline.  Worst case we'll need to fill a rifle length buffer tube w/ concrete or such to keep it from deforming before the lower breaks.  It's also an easily repeatable experiment, should we need to break a 7075 lower outside of the PRoM.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The weak bit.    The receiver extension is the buffer tube, just the "proper name" for it.  The receiver extension boss is what the buffer tube screws into, and what we're most concerned about breaking when we use material of lesser strength than aluminum.

In the locked breech AR, the recoil is transmitted to the stock through the receiver extension boss, and if using a rifle stock, also through the area directly below the boss.  There's a secondary force as the bolt unlocks and the BCG comes rearward, pressing on the spring, which ultimately is producing a torque on the receiver extension boss.

In the blowback AR, while the recoil may be less, the secondary force may be greater, as all the force of the cartridge extracting presses against the end of the buffer tube.  That force again produces a torque on the receiver extension boss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Let me understand this. There are two main stressors, the recoil and the bolt going back (most of that should be absorbed by the buffer spring?) In a locked breach, most of energy goes into rifle itself, smaller portion into bolt. In a blowback, most of the energy goes into the bolt, which is heavier. I thought that buffer should absorb the energy of the bolt. I am not sure how this works. Which one is the "receiver extension boss"?

Better explanation than mine

It's probably pretty easy to figure out @ what point a given material will yield @ in the AR lower without shooting it.  Screw a rifle length buffer tube into the receiver, fix the lower in a vise, and press down on the end of the buffer tube until the receiver boss breaks.  Almost all AR lowers will break at the point between the rear takedown pin hole and the receiver extension boss, no matter the material.  It's just a question of how much force it will take to break them.

Given 7075 aluminum lowers are down to $50, that can give us a baseline.  Worst case we'll need to fill a rifle length buffer tube w/ concrete or such to keep it from deforming before the lower breaks.  It's also an easily repeatable experiment, should we need to break a 7075 lower outside of the PRoM.

Actually...If we take the case where the buffer spring is correctly sized and the buffer is NOT striking the back of the tube, the maximum force seen on the threads from that motion is the spring rate x change in spring length.So a machine that simply pushed the buffer back into the extension until just before it strikes would be accurate for fatigue testing.  As long as the stress curve is smooth, the rate at which the stress is applied matters much less.

Now, for the bending moment from the recoil... that actually puts compression stress on the threads in the opposite direction - pushing instead of pulling. Someone with Quikload can look up the recoil impulse of the cartridge, calculate the weight of the rifle, and lay a spring against the *back* of the buffer tube (simulating the resistance from the shooter's shoulder.  Get the right spring rate, and the stroke to get that force will equal the stroke of the buffer spring.

So her's what you have: a lower with a buffer tube, buffer, and spring mounted.  An "upper" is attached, which is mounted on some kid of track and goes back and forth via a crank arm.As the crank turns, it pushed the "upper", which pushed back on the lower via the pins, and against a spring at the back of the buffer tube.  That simulated the recoil while the breach is locked.  The crank continues to rotate, now pulling the upper forward.  A rod that goes through the "upper" and is fixed in place starts compressing the buffer in the tube, simulating the BCG travel.  Crank completes cycle, and again - one "shot" simulation per cycle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
not to be difficult, but I think that shock of recoil is both short and very high in amplitude (sharp) that make a big difference in plastic lowers. This is the reason why having extrahard receiver could crack it, but something with a bit of elasticity can absorb the recoil enough without breaking, may be developing fatigue, but not disintegrating. I feel that softer receivers work better.

I was thinking about something a bit more complicated, basically an upper "tube" with a dead weight representing the bolt. Also another system would take care of the recoil shock via inelastic collision.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
not to be difficult, but I think that shock of recoil is both short and very high in amplitude (sharp) that make a big difference in plastic lowers. This is the reason why having extrahard receiver could crack it, but something with a bit of elasticity can absorb the recoil enough without breaking, may be developing fatigue, but not disintegrating. I feel that softer receivers work better.

I was thinking about something a bit more complicated, basically an upper "tube" with a dead weight representing the bolt. Also another system would take care of the recoil shock via inelastic collision.
View Quote

Unless the motion has sharp discontinuities (buffer hitting the base of the tube, springs going solid), fatigue failures can be modeled using slower (or faster) applications of stresses. The primary variables in fatigue life are stress levels and number of cycles - that's it.  How fast or slow they are applied isn't relevant for elastic materials, unless we start getting into heating effects. It doesn't matter if you apply the force over 1 second or 10 seconds - or 1/100th second, as long as the stress levels are the same. Using an inelastic collision to model elastic behaviors can get some hairy results.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Do I sense a modified reciprocating saw being used to rapidly test how long until buffer tube breaks?

ETA: 2 options come to mind.  Use saw as a piston on the spring (similar to how people attach dildos to saws for weird porn fetish videos)
or, drill hole in base of buffer tube, attach string to end of saw blade, attach other end of string through buffer tube and onto a weight, hang receiver upside with saw mounted to something below, running saw will now rapidly compress spring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do I sense a modified reciprocating saw being used to rapidly test how long until buffer tube breaks?
View Quote

Stroke probably too short.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.  but the first few inches of the spring compression don't mean much.  have spring pre-compresssed 1/2-3/4th should do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly why I went with Task 15, it seems like it can absorb the recoil  better than some materials that are "stronger".

Did you try your metal reinforcement with Smoothcast 300? If so how many rounds did it last and where did it break? I've been playing with fiberglass cloth  and I think I can make a 305 lower take almost anything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is exactly why I went with Task 15, it seems like it can absorb the recoil  better than some materials that are "stronger".

Did you try your metal reinforcement with Smoothcast 300? If so how many rounds did it last and where did it break? I've been playing with fiberglass cloth  and I think I can make a 305 lower take almost anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still trying to break Task 9 steel reinforced receiver. 680 rounds so far. Plain 300 lasted for 300 rounds, so it's a lot of range trips. Hence the need for something more automated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
could you compare the Charpy numbers for 7075 with the material under test?

you don't really care what "the" number is for an AR, just that your material is approximately the same as 7075, right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, this is far too bad ass for me not to participate.  Is this the mold product I want to get?  I already have the box built (or well underway at least) in which to pour the mold.

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth--Silicone-Making-Rubber-OOMOO/dp/B004BNF3TK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440454311&sr=8-2&keywords=silicon+mold
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
could you compare the Charpy numbers for 7075 with the material under test?

you don't really care what "the" number is for an AR, just that your material is approximately the same as 7075, right?
View Quote

I don't think that there is a need to achieve exact spec of Aluminum. AR receiver has strong point to function. For example thickness of magwell isn't as big of a deal as that boss. Ultimately, it's possible to replicate live fire close enough, the easiest way to do it is the problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OK, this is far too bad ass for me not to participate.  Is this the mold product I want to get?  I already have the box built (or well underway at least) in which to pour the mold.

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth--Silicone-Making-Rubber-OOMOO/dp/B004BNF3TK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440454311&sr=8-2&keywords=silicon+mold
View Quote

That product is supposedly easy to use but doesn't have  the tear strength of some other silicones. What I'm using and what Boris used is Mold Star 30. http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1341/index.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That product is supposedly easy to use but doesn't have  the tear strength of some other silicones. What I'm using and what Boris used is Mold Star 30. http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1341/index.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, Thanks for the link, I'll use that instead.

ETA: nice profile pic!  That lower came out great!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Would using steel wool achieve the same results of fiberglass fibers for cheaper?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Would using steel wool achieve the same results of fiberglass fibers for cheaper?
View Quote

Very hard to keep oxygen off of a steel reinforcement, and if not, well, rust never sleeps.  The only patent I can find for steel wool reinforced plastic regarded using zinc plated steel wool.  Seems it was mainly in preference to chopped strand, not fabric like FP3D used (and Boris and I had planned to try).

Also, steel sheep are a lightening risk.  Must keep them far from the farmhouse when weather blows in.  Hard to shear too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I did some color mixing...and more.  
Black, gray, and white

Looks different outside

Green, brown, and a little black. This one looks amazing but I'm having a hard time getting the green to show up, tomorrow when the sun is up I can show it's full glory.

Plus a little hidden surprise

Very strong feeling threads and no worry about them stripping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Plus a little hidden surprise
http://i.imgur.com/HCPr7I0.jpg?1
Very strong feeling threads and no worry about them stripping.
View Quote

HA!  What you did there, we can sees it.  

Would copper wool be an acceptable substitute instead of rusting steel wool, then, or is that more expensive than the fiberglass you're using?

Another question - since you're the 3D printing guy.  What is the purpose of the cutouts in the magwell?  To save on expensive 3-D printer feed?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Would copper wool be an acceptable substitute instead of rusting steel wool, then, or is that more expensive than the fiberglass you're using?

Another question - since you're the 3D printing guy.  What is the purpose of the cutouts in the magwell?  To save on expensive 3-D printer feed?
View Quote

Really no need to overthink this, $4.27 at Amazon or Wallmart will get you more fiberglass than you will ever need.

The cutouts in the magazine are really just a styling thing, you don't really need that big wall for strength, might as well do something cool with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Could a lower be cast with Bondo (the automotive body repair stuff)?  That's basically a fiberglass paste.

I ordered my Mold Star 30 and some modeling clay, can't wait to join the fun!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Could a lower be cast with Bondo (the automotive body repair stuff)?  That's basically a fiberglass paste.

I ordered my Mold Star 30 and some modeling clay, can't wait to join the fun!
View Quote
I'm thinking Bondo would shrink too much, but for the cost, anything is worth a try.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#33]
FP3D, You're knocking out all of my planned experiments before I get to them.    Was casting around the castle nut as easy as I've been hoping?  Looks like it threaded in place perfectly with no gap in the threads.  Makes the lower more expensive but should eliminate the second main failure point of plastic lowers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#34]
So... i hate to bring up a dirty word... but with the ease and speed at which these can be cranked out. How many lowers can you have laying around without the cocksuckers at the ATF getting their panties twisted?

Yes I know you shouldn't be telling folks or inviting the man into your life yadda  yadda yadda. However if you have a C&R or anything Class3, well then... Chances are exponentially higher of a visit.

I would suggest breaking the excess lowers after you have the process dialed in (who cares, it was like 3 bucks) then only pour a lower when you have a upper ready to go for it. Having a hundred lowers just sitting around is asking for trouble. But then again, I'm risk adverse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FP3D, You're knocking out all of my planned experiments before I get to them.    Was casting around the castle nut as easy as I've been hoping?  Looks like it threaded in place perfectly with no gap in the threads.  Makes the lower more expensive but should eliminate the second main failure point of plastic lowers.
View Quote

Casting around the nut wasn't a problem at all, it doesn't really thread on so I just forced it over the threads, the only thing was making sure it wasn't cross threaded. I ordered a bunch more for $2.47 each, I plan to use them for any lower I think I'll actually use.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So... i hate to bring up a dirty word... but with the ease and speed at which these can be cranked out. How many lowers can you have laying around without the cocksuckers at the ATF getting their panties twisted?

Yes I know you shouldn't be telling folks or inviting the man into your life yadda  yadda yadda. However if you have a C&R or anything Class3, well then... Chances are exponentially higher of a visit.

I would suggest breaking the excess lowers after you have the process dialed in (who cares, it was like 3 bucks) then only pour a lower when you have a upper ready to go for it. Having a hundred lowers just sitting around is asking for trouble. But then again, I'm risk adverse.
View Quote

Discretion is always a good idea.  My FFL told you me that you can only make 5 lowers for yourself a year, not sure if that's true or not.  He told me that after I showed an 80% lower that I completed on an Easy Jig.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are some states like MA, require to fill a form (register) any new rifle after 7 days after it's capable of shooting. Also, in MA storage laws apply, i.e. lock and keys.

In terms of C&R ... it's not a blank check to barge into your house. You may arrange an appointment at your convenience and bring C&R guns for examination at their location, not your house. That's a fact.

For rest of cases ... COME BACK WITH A WARRANT

Quoted:
Quoted:

Discretion is always a good idea.  My FFL told you me that you can only make 5 lowers for yourself a year, not sure if that's true or not.  He told me that after I showed an 80% lower that I completed on an Easy Jig.

That's bullshit. There is no limit on how many you can make per any unit of time. You can't make for sale. If ATF can prove that you made even one receiver for sale (proving your intent) than you are toast: manufacturing without a license. It's pretty difficult with one though, unless you are bragging about this everywhere. Making a bunch and selling them after is similar, because of the numbers it kind of shows the intent, but what that magic number is no one knows. Obviously 5 is better 1, to suggest it by a DA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell him to show you where that's written.

We have enough BS laws, regs, and rulings to impede our hobby without dumbasses making stuff up.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is having 87 plastic lowers any different from your other 87 guns?  Some of my gonnes are legal antiques, some don't have serial numbers b/c they were made before 1968, some are legal baby killing assault rifles with 30 round per second clips and shoulder things that go up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We have enough BS laws, regs, and rulings to impede our hobby without dumbasses making stuff up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. This is ALWAYS the answer to someone who claims something. 99% of the time they have nothing left to say.

I always ask people to cite to the law or regulation where it says that. They never can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I got some 326 to try another shot at a clear lower.

You can sorta see the fiberglass in the back, it blends in pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/MYljzqi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xID7Guy.jpg
View Quote

Very clear.   Does 326 clear easily, or is there a trick to get the bubbles out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very clear.   Does 326 clear easily, or is there a trick to get the bubbles out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to use vacuum.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I have several of the TN  arms lowers they use a brass insert might be easier to cast around then fiberglass
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have several of the TN  arms lowers they use a brass insert might be easier to cast around then fiberglass
View Quote

Fiberglass cloth is a hell of a lot easier to find.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Is the best reinforcement for the buffer tube threads going to be an aluminum or parkerized steel castle nut?  Besides the obvious use of fiberglass, of course.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is the best reinforcement for the buffer tube threads going to be an aluminum or parkerized steel castle nut?  Besides the obvious use of fiberglass, of course.
View Quote

I'd knurl the outside.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sir, are the shit.  That clear lower is awesome!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd knurl the outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Is the best reinforcement for the buffer tube threads going to be an aluminum or parkerized steel castle nut?  Besides the obvious use of fiberglass, of course.

I'd knurl the outside.

So aluminum then?  If we knurl the outside then we've gone right through the parkerizing, no?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So aluminum then?  If we knurl the outside then we've gone right through the parkerizing, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Is the best reinforcement for the buffer tube threads going to be an aluminum or parkerized steel castle nut?  Besides the obvious use of fiberglass, of course.

I'd knurl the outside.

It would, but I really have no idea if parkerizing makes the bond between metal and polymer stronger or weaker.  I know that knurling provides more resistance to pulling out, but for all I know parkerizing may be better for that.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top