Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 7:04:36 PM EDT
Background all found HERE

KIA, April 2007 in Hawijah, Iraq. Served with 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment.

I have known his father going back about ten years, long story. Anyway, the story above was just in the local paper here and hit me in the balls when I read it since I have not been in touch with him. I'd like to change that.
Originally posted in GD, suggested I post here for help:

I was thinking about doing a nice build to put in one of those fancy display boxes, maybe with Dane's name, service dates, etc engraved on the lower.

here are my questions for the collective...I don't have an extra $1K to toss around, so I need to stick to some sort of budget. I figure the box will cost me north of $100 if I don't build it myself (time in my life is in short supply, so this is not likely)

Here are the ideas, please comment
1. something cheap via PSA made to M4'ish standards, engraved lower with Dane's name on it.  (Update, found a PTAC nitride 1/7 upper for $190, classic lower for $130).  Was also suggested to NOT engrave, but do a plaque to put in the box given lack of real estate)
2. find a used something or other, again, M4'ish (don't care about function as much as what it looks like) via EE or otherwise
3. something like an AR-15 .22LR (looks pretty close, but way cheaper, like the Walther Arms Colt M4 "OPS"), maybe shove a real mag in it. It will be in a case on the wall after all.
4. Find a really, really used, beat-up LE6920 or similar (shot out barrel, etc), clean it up, shine it up, engrave it.

Any other ideas? I really want to do Dane justice, so I don't want to stick a turd in a box.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll try to drop some thoughts in later today but one thought is that if it doesn't have to function I wouldn't spend a dime on bcg, buffer, spring - leave them out and close the port door.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're just going for nice looks (since it will not be shot), some airsoft places around town have nicely made guns that look good.  Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
if the intent is to honor him, and you are not intending to offer an operable rifle, I would be willing to donate a welded closed 14.5 barrel. food for thought
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks all...I found the Walther Colt M4 for around $400-$500.  I could stick a regular 30 round mag in it I think (it will be mounted behind glass).  It includes everything needed, has a "Colt M4" mark on it.

or, I found via PSA:
PTAC 16" M4 Nitride 1:7 Upper - Without BCG or CH, $190
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine, $130

I have a charging handle and would have to find a carry-handle site for it.

The down-side is the PSA stuff will be PSA engraved with PSA logos on the upper also.  I could mount in the case facing "right" with the PSA lower engraving not showing and try to figure out how to black out the PSA upper logo.  I am thinking one of those display cases and then adding a small plaque with Dane's name, etc.

What do you think?

Thanks for the offer on the barrel...I think it might actually be cheaper via PSA to get all the other parts vs. buying the upper, etc separately.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
A letter to some Distributors or Manufacturers with your plan on a non-functual rifle for a fallen soldier may turn up some other options for you. It is worth a few Emails to find out. I would be willing to donate a Blackhawk M4 stock or Pistol grip or some other spare parts I have laying around for a Donation Build. . I'll bet you could build a rifle from donations as long as it is a non-working rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.metalcraftbyblair.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13173

This is the type of display pieces we would give our members at the end of tour. The marksman would get m14s, OICs would get a mk18, and AOICs would get Sig 229s. They look good and the ones we ordered weren't too expensive for us to pass the hat around. You can get it engraved and add unit patches an maybe a brass nameplate with service dates
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.metalcraftbyblair.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13173

This is the type of display pieces we would give our members at the end of tour. The marksman would get m14s, OICs would get a mk18, and AOICs would get Sig 229s. They look good and the ones we ordered weren't too expensive for us to pass the hat around. You can get it engraved and add unit patches an maybe a brass nameplate with service dates
View Quote

Cool...so they look pretty nice vs. cheesy/low-rent?  Cannot tell from the pics.

Good idea, although something makes me want to put a tiny bit of blood/sweat/tears into the project.  Not sure why.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not terribly familiar with 80% lowers but that might be a good base without a lot of extraneous markings.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks...I thought of this too, I'd still have to drill out a bunch of it to make it work...

Quoted:
I'm not terribly familiar with 80% lowers but that might be a good base without a lot of extraneous markings.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
One more question for those that know the military lingo better than I.  I found a display case that will hold an M4 (inside dims:  44.5"W X 19"H X 5.5"D) - LINK

I want to put a plaque in there also, here is the proof

Any thoughts/changes you would make on the wording regarding the US Army info/lines?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
BUMP...anyone???

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I post this because you mentioned PSA. They do offer this stripped lower for $99 which includes a donation to the "Hidden Wounds Foundation":

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/stripped-lowers/psa-oif-15-iraq-lower.html

Depending on your point of view, this may either be perfect, or it may be inappropriate.

Just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I post this because you mentioned PSA. They do offer this stripped lower for $99 which includes a donation to the "Hidden Wounds Foundation":

<a href="http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/stripped-lowers/psa-oif-15-iraq-lower.html" target="_blank">http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/stripped-lowers/psa-oif-15-iraq-lower.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/r/irqlower.jpg</a>

Depending on your point of view, this may either be perfect, or it may be inappropriate.

Just throwing that out there.
View Quote

I think they did a fine job with that lower.

It's easy to get carried away with commemoratives, but that is just right.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all, can anyone take a look at the plaque and comment?  Someone with some .mil background?

Is there anything I should add/remove/change???

Ready to move forward on the project.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of those PSA Iraq stripped lowers, IM me if you want it. Your FFL will have to accept from an individual though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one of those PSA Iraq stripped lowers, IM me if you want it. Your FFL will have to accept from an individual though.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I am 99% sure I am going to go with one of the Freedom/PTAC M4 uppers and a "standard" PSA lower (or maybe one of my 80%'s) just to keep it simple.  FFL is already set up with PSA.

I do appreciate the offer very much though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#18]
or this:  LINK

$300, free shipping (Colt 22LR/Walther made).
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]
My battalion relieved them in hawijah in 2007. Fuck that City....Pure evil
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#20]
does the plaque wording look OK to you?  Any changes you would make???

Ready to order it and get this thing done.

I ordered the Colt M4 22LR already and the display case.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
does the plaque wording look OK to you?  Any changes you would make???

Ready to order it and get this thing done.

I ordered the Colt M4 22LR already and the display case.

Thanks!
View Quote

Plaque looks good. Having the unit designations written out instead of abbreviated is a good move. Folks understand it better.
My uncle built some flintlocks for to commemorate my tours.

2-27 had a memorial on FOB mchenry for the KIAs
They lost way too many we lost a total of 6 in our battalion after we assumed the AO from them
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, appreciate it!

I'll post some pics once I get it all together

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
The plaque looks fine to me.  If you want to make it a bit fancier you can get the unit crest/DUI and SSI/patch (or the pin for the ASU's) to add into the case.  Or you can add it onto the engraving.

<ETA> Have you looked at the fruity ghost AR thread?  If you already own a suitable M4 clone-ish rifle you could make a mold of your gun and make a resin model of it.  Would probably cost you less than $300 in total...and you can cast it in black so as not to have to re-paint anything.  If you can find a picture of your friends son with his issued rifle you can paint/distress, and add the appropriate accessories to make it look similar.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
nope, will check it out, thanks!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The plaque looks fine to me.  If you want to make it a bit fancier you can get the unit crest/DUI and SSI/patch (or the pin for the ASU's) to add into the case.  Or you can add it onto the engraving.  

View Quote

Concur

A Wolfhound RDI, 25th CSIB, and non subdued CIB would make a nice addition to the case.  

OP, I like what you're doing and it's one hell of a nice gesture.  Do you know if your friend will accept something like this.  Some Gold Star Parents parents are still in "denial".  I suppose if he has other memorial items or from time to time speaks of SGT Cauthorn, you'll know he'll have no issue accepting this.

I found this, so that may negate what I said before.  I believe his Dad will accept the gift with no problem.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Concur

A Wolfhound RDI, 25th CSIB, and non subdued CIB would make a nice addition to the case.  

OP, I like what you're doing and it's one hell of a nice gesture.  Do you know if your friend will accept something like this.  Some Gold Star Parents parents are still in "denial".  I suppose if he has other memorial items or from time to time speaks of SGT Cauthorn, you'll know he'll have no issue accepting this.

I found this, so that may negate what I said before.  I believe his Dad will accept the gift with no problem.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/richmond.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/e2/fe2a0be4-e6be-54d0-8db8-c3ebc56659d9/55627f18b51bd.image.jpg?resize=760%2C511

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/richmond.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/e2/fe2a0be4-e6be-54d0-8db8-c3ebc56659d9/55627f18b51bd.image.jpg?resize=760%2C511

I know his dad pretty well, just have been out of touch for a while.  I am guessing it will be a very dusty environment, then Crown Royal will appear, then who knows.  I have the rifle and the case and plaque will be there when I get home.  Will probably also be very dusty in my work area while I put it together.  Should have it done within two weeks, will post pics.

Thanks all for the input.  I hope this is something his dad will be proud of...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My battalion relieved them in hawijah in 2007. Fuck that City....Pure evil
View Quote

A young man that I remember well from coaching little league football, died in Hawijah in 2004.

As far as a memorial rifle, I'd use the PSA OIF lower, and on the righ side engrave his name, rank, US Army, and KIA Iraq, and the date. Leave the other details for the plaque.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#28]
For anyone that cares...success!  Will post the pic of it mounted at his dad's place.

I think he really appreciates it.

Thanks all for the input and help
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

For anyone that cares...success!  Will post the pic of it mounted at his dad's place.

I think he really appreciates it.

Thanks all for the input and help
View Quote

Please post some pics as soon as you can.  And thanks for doing what you did.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#30]
here is a preview, will post one with his Dad once I get it.  green ties around mounts were there for transit to make sure nothing moved...

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top