Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2015 12:35:51 PM EDT
What should I be looking for at Lowes as far as drill bits and end mills go to finish an 80% lower? I have the jig and lower and realized the bits didn't come with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lowe's probably isn't the place to start.  Here's a good bit of info.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Which jig?  For router based jigs it's hard to beat the end mill with the short 3/4" LoC from 80% arms.  For drill bits it's universally accepted amount all my machinist friends that any drill bit with the logo of a power tool isn't a high quality drill bit.  118 degree point bright high speed steel or Titanium coated work fine in aluminum.  ti coated will let the bit run cooler and they tend to last longer.  Personally I used two 3/8" bits on my lower.  One to do all of the drilling in my fire control pocket and a nice brand new one to drill the safety selector.  As drill bits dull they tend to wallow more and the hole dimensions suffer, which is why I say use a brand new one when drilling the safety selector hole.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 tactical machining lowers and the Daytona Tactical Jig. Lowes has titanium and black oxide bits, but I don't mind ordering some if that's what i need to do. I'm planning on buying a HF drill press to do the work, I have talked to a few people who said it will get the job done. From my understanding the drill bits are for the rough holes and major killing and the end mill bits are for the finishing work to smooth the cuts?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
For router based jigs (80% Arms universal jig for example) I've been ordering from these guys... http://www.kodiakcuttingtools.com  Surf through their site and you'll find anything you need.  Fast shipping, good quality and cheaper than I've found on most sites.  I think they've started to sell Kodiak bits on Amazon too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For router based jigs (80% Arms universal jig for example) I've been ordering from these guys... http://www.kodiakcuttingtools.com  Surf through their site and you'll find anything you need.  Fast shipping, good quality and cheaper than I've found on most sites.  I think they've started to sell Kodiak bits on Amazon too.
View Quote

+1

Excellent products, website, and prices...One of the few USA manufactures/suppliers that makes quality tools/cutters/abrasives in Upstate NY region...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a drill press jig, not router. Does it matter?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't mention what you are using for a jig but I can tell you that the proper sizes when using a Modulus jig are 3/8" 19/64" and 5/32.

The 5/32 and 19/64 bits are the correct size for the axis pins and trigger slot  respectively so I can't see them changing no matter what jig you are using. Don't forget to get a drill stop, when you order your bits. Modulus sells a complete jig fab tool kit that includes high quality US made bits, endmill and drill stop as a package or you can get the endmill separately.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I stated I'm using the Daytona Tactical Jig. Her are he instructions that came with it and stated drill bits needed.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top