Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 6:21:47 PM EDT
I'm building a suppressor integrated SBR and looking for some opinions on the schedule for my build. so far ALL I have is a stripped lower, I'm getting paid soon and I'm on the fence on if I should buy the suppressor from the LGS, and get the paperwork out of the way (utilizing trust route) so by the time the upper is done, the suppressor can immediately be installed. If i do that then my build budget for the month is cap'd, so i would technically still only have a stripped lower receiver for the month with the can sitting in jail. The other option, is to do the paperwork to register the SBR, and buy the rest of the lower parts minus the trigger, but that leaves me possibly having a complete rifle and no suppressor in the coming months. my LGS has said their recent NFA transfers have had a turn around of about 90 days so I'm essentially trying to time things accordingly so these SBR and can registrations will be approved around the same time i complete the entire build. thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the long burn started on the can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Start form 4 for the suppressor, most I am seeing are 3.5 to 4 months on a trust. Then once you have 200 saved up do the SBR efile form 1 next since those are running 85-90 days now and get your lower engraved (I suggest Tar Heel State Firearms in Matthews NC).

Get the small parts down the road, no point in getting them now for them to just sit for months.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
None of those you mention are actually "expensive" NFA items, but if they seem so to you, then best to lock down what you want, now, before worrying about other things.

What is still available in commercial channels will continue to be so, whether it is NFA or not, but your cost of acquisition of restricted or even potentially-restricted items will likely never get cheaper than it is now.  The best you can hope for on the restricted front is that prices will go no higher, relatively, than they are today.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of those you mention are actually "expensive" NFA items, but if they seem so to you, then best to lock down what you want, now, before worrying about other things.

What is still available in commercial channels will continue to be so, whether it is NFA or not, but your cost of acquisition of restricted or even potentially-restricted items will likely never get cheaper than it is now.  The best you can hope for on the restricted front is that prices will go no higher, relatively, than they are today.
View Quote

Not expensive to you can very well be expensive to others. If you can afford these items with no problem then great! Some have to save up for items. Perhaps you shouldn't tell people what is or isn't expensive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd get the long burn started on the can.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Start the Can IMO.

You have alternatives on a SBR filing, you can build the lower as a pistol to lock down the pistol status and THEN build it as a rifle if a pistol isn't your thing if some reason you end up blocked by 41p later.   You still have a working system regardless.

But there are no options on a can if 41p or any other bs gets in the way later.  No workarounds for a can if you end up being unable to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the can ordered, thats the longest wait.

Next get the lower engraved, once its back check for mistakes.  If you're happy with the engraving then efile to SBR the lower.  That part shouldnt take half as long as the can.  

Youll have plenty of time to finish the rest before the can come back.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get the suppressor ordered.   If the SBR takes longer to complete, you can always use the can on another host or a buddy's range toy!

***Also, there was a proposed rule change ("ATF 41P") on NFA purchases, one proposed change was increasing the NFA stamp from 200 to 500....there were literally thousands of public comments received on the proposal and last I knew it was on hold pending review of the comments.    But...who know if or when some version of it passes.   I haven't followed its status for a while... It may be dead - But if it goes through, would turn your $400 cost on stamps into $1000 with no value added to the gun!

Depending on your state law, you can possibly run your short barrelled AR as a pistol (no stock, use pistol buffer tube instead), then SBR it and add the stock later and sell the pistol buffer tube.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top