Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 8:05:00 PM EDT
It's short-stroking.  Doesn't come back enough to eject the spent casing.  Tried 2 different bolt groups, with different charging handles, and 3 different lowers (one Anderson complete, one Colt complete, and one target build with a JP captured recoil assembly).  My guess is that it is not getting enough gas pressure to cycle properly, but I'm not sure how to overcome this.  Bolt moves, just not far enough to the rear.

Anderson sport upper (no FA, no DC).
DPMS complete BCG and Charging Handle.
Wilson Arms 22' Bull Barrel.
DPMS .936 Low-Pro Gas Block.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What length is the gas system?
Check seal around gas block
Make sure there is nothing stuck in the gas system somewhere

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
to me it sounds like you are on the right path.

Could the gas block be slightly misaligned and getting an insufficient gas to cycle?

Since you've tried several combinations, if it were just me I'd strip it down, inspect, reassemble gas block.  If you've got another gas tube I'd swap it out too since they are relatively cheap.

I'm sure better advice will follow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Rifle Length system.  I'm pretty sure it is aligned, and the seal should be good, but I will check it.  All components were new.  I will take it apart a re-check everything.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rifle Length system.  I'm pretty sure it is aligned, and the seal should be good, but I will check it.  All components were new.  I will take it apart a re-check everything.  Thanks!
View Quote
What stock do you have on it? Are you using the correct buffer and spring?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Used 3 different complete lowers, one with a JP captured assembly, one with colt h-buffer and standard spring, one with spikes h-buffer and standard spring.  I really don't want to have to swap out spring and buffere each time.  It appears to me the issue is with the upper.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Used 3 different complete lowers, one with a JP captured assembly, one with colt h-buffer and standard spring, one with spikes h-buffer and standard spring.  I really don't want to have to swap out spring and buffere each time.  It appears to me the issue is with the upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

To get the rifle running you should start with a standard (carbine) buffer and a standard spring...if this is a telestock (carbine) buttstock system, of course.
Also, we don't know what ammo you are using. If it's cheap, imported stuff or low pressure .223, that could be part of your problem.
Use full power Lake City XM193 or M855 to get the rifle running.

If your gas block alignment was good, you should see a carbon trace around the barrel's gas port, upon removal of the gas block.
(the port in the block is larger than the port in the barrel)
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, well I guess you know the answer then.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It also could be the gas hole or port in your barrel may need to be drilled a little bigger because it may not be letting enough gas through to cycle the bolt properly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Gas system blockage or alignment.
Gas tube blockage is a low probability, but it does happen.
Too much friction in the upper slowing down the BCG.
Is the receiver extension lined up with the centerline of the upper?
Weak ammo.
Measure the gas port and contact Wilson to see if it is correct.
Drilling the gas port is a last resort as it cannot be undone.
If you do decide to drill at most go to the next decimal sized bit above the bit that fits the hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top