Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2015 8:36:22 PM EDT
I took my first build out to the range today. Shot great but it would not cycle. The Bolt would come back a few inches and stop. The charging handle was very difficult to pull back. At first I thought I need to lube more,but still would not cycle.
I did the Cerakote and thought I may have gotten too much in the upper. After taking the upper off the lower, the BCG was sliding quiet smoothly.
I put it back together and the charging handle was still difficult to pull back.
I did not have my M400 with me so after shooting pistols I went home. I decided to swap uppers from the build and the m400 and the charging handle was smooth as butter. I exchanged the buffer and spring and it felt as smooth as the m400.
So I guess I have a bad buffer and/or spring. Anyone else heard of a similar issue?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had to change a too stiff spring before. You can weigh the buffer to at least see if it's the right weight. Springs are cheap so don't be afraid to try a new one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
See how freely the buffer and spring move in the tube. Then try dropping the bolt in by itself. Any binding?
Any wear marks? Bent/dented/out of round tube?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be willing to bet your issue is more tolerance stacking with the Cerakote than a bad buffer or spring.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you build the lower?  Are you 1,000% certain that the receiver extension is square, straight and true in the lower?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top