Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2015 9:08:15 PM EDT
Trying to decide whether I want a muzzle brake or a flash hider.  What do most of you use and why?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 brakes and one that's supposed to be both since I'm not trying to hide I use the brake for better control and follow up shots.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Surefire Procomp and absolutely love it.

Procomp
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Running a custom brake, prefer it 10 to 1 over the FH I had on before.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the Surefire Procomp and absolutely love it.

Procomp
View Quote

Makes no sense for it to have a labyrinth seal if it's not a mount... idk why it has it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
If no one is shooting back at you, and you're not shooting at night, the only advantage to a Flash Hider is that they're a bit quieter than a Muzzle Brake.

Muzzle Brakes will help reduce or eliminate your muzzle rise and/or recoil.  They are louder.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm the opposite. I'll take a FH over a comp/brake any day. I HATE comps/brakes. They are LOUD (to everyone but the shooter), have an obnoxious "pulse" wave, and are usually on the larger side.
For a competition rifle, sure, I could see using one (where seconds count and you need that follow up shot NOW). For HD/combat/fighting.... seriously?? An A2 FH has surprisingly effective downforce and EXCELLENT flash suppression. Vs a Comp/brake which has "better" downforce and ZERO flash suppression.
Now, some states (like NJ) don't allow FH's (combined with any other "evil" feature), so brake/comp is all that's left.
But for anything other than "competition", NO WAY am I running a comp/brake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
BCM MOD 0/1

Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM MOD 0/1

Best of both worlds
View Quote

I kind of like that comp/FH/whatever it is. Looks cool (as does Black River Tactical covert comp)!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Try both, an A1-2  flash hider is only $7 you can get a Miculek comp for $40. I have a brake I made on my 7", a Miculek on my 18" and a bird cage on my basic A2. The brakes are loud as hell and I need plugs and muffs when shooting but  they have an actual benefit over just protecting the threads, whether you require those benefits(or if the extra noise is worth it) is for you to decide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys!  Looks like a muzzle brake is in my future.  I am not trying to hide from anyone shooting back at me
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Compensator/Brake. But only because I live in a state where I'm not allowed to have a hider.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been running the Strike Industries J-Comp for a couple of years now and really like it.  It's hard to beat for the low price.

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-accessories/ar/muzzle-device/comps/japan-type89-comp.html

Certainly worth consideration.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top