Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 11:10:07 AM EDT
I have searched and not found anything like it. You know those 5.5" flash hiders you can use to extend a 11.5" barrel to be greater than 16" and legal by having it pinned and welded?

I would like to have one made that is 8" long in order to be able to permanent affix it to an 8.5" barrel to make it legal.
Why do that you say? Well there are several reasons. One is to be able to convert a pistol into 16" barreled carbine permanently (legal to do that I understand) and many types of 9mm pistols for example simply do not have 16" barrels available, but have barrels available with 1/2x28 TPI threads that could accept such a flash hider to be permanently affixed.

Another use is to be able to permanently affix to a carbine that you plan to SBR on a form 1, so that you can use it legally while waiting for time you want to do it, or the paperwork, with the permanently affixed flash hider extending the length to a legal 16"  like the XM177 clones, except with a shorter actual barrel than 11.5". I don't like fake suppressors as they are bulky and generally heavier. Any ideas on who could make an 8" FH similar tot he 5.5" FH that currently exists?

TL;DR Need to have an 8" version of the 5.5" flash hider made with standard 1/2x28 TPI threads. Anyone have any leads on who could do this? I might be willing to order a quantity if the price was reasonable.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You might get answers to you questions faster in the retro forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might get answers to you questions faster in the retro forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Thanks, will post it there also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is something I could look into. Would need a 5.5" sample or some dimensions to start.
View Quote

I can send you one. IM sent.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Op,

When you get the details sorted out, let us know how it turned out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few XM177 style flash hiders that are 5 1/4" long which make a 11.5" barrel legal.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that 5" flash hider a NFA item?

My son says they are, is he right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is that 5" flash hider a NFA item?

My son says they are, is he right?
View Quote

No it's not a NFA item. It's a 5 1/4" long flash hider.

Your son might be thinking of the XM177 Moderator which is a NFA item.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps maybe I'm a bit confused. Why put an 8 " long flash hider on an 8" barrel to get the length to 16" so that the barrel is now legally long enough to be a rifle? You have to pin and weld the flash hider to the barrel for it to be legally a rifle. The ATF defines that as needing more than 2500 degrees of heat to remove it. Then, to SBR the gun, you have to undo the pinning and welding. What's the point? There are other options. Build a pistol build. Don't put a stok on it and you have a perfectly legal pistol with an 8" barrel. File for the SBR tax stamp and when you get the stamp, put the stock on it. That's a lot cheaper than dealing with the hassle of getting an 8" flash hider that has to be pinned and welded and then taking it off.

Maybe it's just me. But, if I want a pistol build, that's what I build. If I want an SBR build, that's what I build and if I want a carbine build, that's what I build.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Perhaps maybe I'm a bit confused. Why put an 8 " long flash hider on an 8" barrel to get the length to 16" so that the barrel is now legally long enough to be a rifle? You have to pin and weld the flash hider to the barrel for it to be legally a rifle. The ATF defines that as needing more than 2500 degrees of heat to remove it. Then, to SBR the gun, you have to undo the pinning and welding. What's the point? There are other options. Build a pistol build. Don't put a stok on it and you have a perfectly legal pistol with an 8" barrel. File for the SBR tax stamp and when you get the stamp, put the stock on it. That's a lot cheaper than dealing with the hassle of getting an 8" flash hider that has to be pinned and welded and then taking it off.

Maybe it's just me. But, if I want a pistol build, that's what I build. If I want an SBR build, that's what I build and if I want a carbine build, that's what I build.

View Quote

Thanks for the input, but that's not what I'm looking to do here. It's not for an AR15.
Have done an SBR on a form 1 before, really not looking for that particular hassle again.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top