Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 7:53:00 AM EDT
Planning on doing my first build ,  I guess first thing is a list of  tools that I need to get started. What is absolutely essential and what can I live without?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Read the TM which is available on this site.
Where ever you decide to get them Brownell’s is a good site to look at the range of tools available that go beyond the basics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/605350_Important_Threads__Check_Here_First.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel nut wrench, upper receiver vise block,  small punch, torque wrench.     after that    lower receiver wise block, barrel vise block,  roll pin punch set. detent pin tool,
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
First time through I'd recommend purchasing a stripped lower and parts kit, then purchase a complete barreled upper.  Assembling a lower requires less specialized parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit up your home town forum.  Many people willing to help, lend tools and knowledge.  Never a bad thing to make new friends with like minded individuals.  

FWIW, I've had great luck with EVERYONE I've met via the HTF.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Get proper roll pin starter punches.
Get a clevis pin for the front detent.
Get a tap and set screw for the rear detent.

Soooo many less headaches.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a roll pin pusher and a bolt catch tool from Little Crow gunworks if you plan on building more than one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/605350_Important_Threads__Check_Here_First.html
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/605350_Important_Threads__Check_Here_First.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-freedom-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

It's a heavy bbl, but probably the best deal going.  Know someone who just built a sub-$400 gun w/ this - all he had on hand was the rear sight, and I gave him 3 mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Planning on doing my first build ,  I guess first thing is a list of  tools that I need to get started. What is absolutely essential and what can I live without?
View Quote

These are the best, free AR Build Videos on the Interwebz...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video
Tools are called out....I tooled up accordingly for my first build.

Addendums...

1) Use the approved moly grease for barrel install
2) Use barrel blocks when working on a muzzle device
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I definitely second the suggestion to get an upper vice block if you're planning to build the upper instead of buying it complete. You do NOT want to use strips of wood to sandwich the upper in the vice, as you may end up breaking your upper receiver. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... I, uh... know a guy... I picked up a Magpul BEV block for the ensuing rebuild and have been quite pleased so far. Happy building!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I just completed my first build.

Tools I purchased:

• Fischer armorers wrench

• Upper receiver vice block

Tools/supplies I had on hand and used:

• Small brass hammer

• 1/16", 1/8" drift punches

• Needle nose pliers

• Painters tape

• light gun oil

• 3/4" ply wood block (support trigger guard ears while setting roll pin

• Bench vise

• Anti seize

• Lithium grease

• Foot lb. torque wrench

• Inch lb. torque wrench (ft. lb. did not go low enough for muzzle device so I used conversion)

I looked through the Important Threads links in the Build It Yourself sub-forum on this site (mentioned in previous post) and followed the step by step lower video from NSZ85.

It was a fairly easy process.  I took my time and went slow.  No real issues, one detente launch and some fiddling with the barrel nut to get the gas tube aligned well with the barrel.

Enjoy your build.  I did mine and am already jumping at the chance to build another.  Although the wallet says I have to wait.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

when you say "build"  do you mean assembling a lower parts kit into a stripped lower and slapping on a upper?   Because you don't need any special tools for that.

or

Do you mean starting from scratch and building your upper too?   you will need tools.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top