Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2015 8:51:30 AM EDT
What is the legal status of the Ares Armor two color 80% Polymer Lower?   This is the one with the white plastic filling the fire control cavity and the pin locators.

Ares stopped selling these after the ATF raid in March 2014.  Do they now need to be transferred through an 01FFL. If so how since they do not have a serial number.

Did ATF publish a determination letter?  What is the value of these lowers now?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
i think those were the first gen polymer lowers from polymer80. I ordered a polymer lower last year around august I want to say, and it was all black in the fcg pocket. i have since completed the rifle but haven't been able to fire it yet. they don't require ffl unless the fcg pocket has been milled out in which case to do so you would need to serialize it if im not mistaken.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The ATF gave Ares Armor back all of the inventory of the original polymer80s.  I don't know what happened to them, but since polymer80 came out with the new version, with the jig, they were probably all returned to polymer80 to be recycled.

At this point, now that you are in possession of one of the old style polymer80s, you should just finish it, and move on.  Regardless of if the ATF ruled them as firearms or not, it doesn't change the status of the one that you have, if you finish it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is that I picked up another lower and do not intend to finish the Ares Armor 80% polymer lower.

In this case, what should I do with it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I would complete it as a spare or just sell it. If your worried about it call Ares armor and ask them. I would be hesitant to ask the ATF as they seem to flip flop on decisions as they see fit (Sig stabilizing brace).
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You can just sell it.  It's not a receiver until you start working on it.  The BATF made them re-work the product, but didn't go after the end users or units that had already been sold.  (Unless they were ineligible persons, ie felons.  Sucks to be them.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem is that I picked up another lower and do not intend to finish the Ares Armor 80% polymer lower.

In this case, what should I do with it?
View Quote

You can just sell it to someone and send it to them. It is not a serialized lower receiver. The problem the ATF had with them was that it had the different color filling. It still is not a firearm until it is milled out. i may even be interested in buying it from you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i think those were the first gen polymer lowers from polymer80. I ordered a polymer lower last year around august I want to say, and it was all black in the fcg pocket. i have since completed the rifle but haven't been able to fire it yet. they don't require ffl unless the fcg pocket has been milled out in which case to do so you would need to serialize it if im not mistaken.
View Quote

I am pretty sure (based on info obtained through a google search) that those were made by EP Armory. Ares now sells Polymer80 lowers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I am pretty sure (based on info obtained through a google search) that those were made by EP Armory. Ares now sells Polymer80 lowers.
View Quote

You may be right, i was pretty sure they were from polymer80 but i didnt do any research on that. I bought a polymer80 lower from ares.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The two color were ep armory - I was following the story -  almost bought one.

Further update on ares other than partial sale?  What about two color lowers?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top