Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
I'm starting my first build with a lower from 80% Arms, and I'm not sure about (or if it even matters...) what my options are for uppers.  They recommend DPMS or CMMG only, but I've seen a couple of builds using uppers from other companies.  Are there any issues with fit and/or functionality that I should be aware of?  Any recommendations (I'm flexible on price points)?  Thanks for helping a newbie out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm starting my first build with a lower from 80% Arms, and I'm not sure about (or if it even matters...) what my options are for uppers.  They recommend DPMS or CMMG only, but I've seen a couple of builds using uppers from other companies.  Are there any issues with fit and/or functionality that I should be aware of?  Any recommendations (I'm flexible on price points)?  Thanks for helping a newbie out.
View Quote

First of all, you can find a much better price on an 80%, if you look. someone here will post a link to better deals im sure.

secondly, every mil-spec type 80% ive seen will work with any mil spec upper.

and lastly, they sell all sorts of brands of uppers on the site. pretty sure they are assuming people will buy those they sell or other brands to put on their lowers.

=====================================

ETA, you are talking about 5.56 lowers, correct?  not 308's.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
To clarify, I am in fact talking about 5.56...but I do have a .308 to do after this one.

Thanks for the info. I purchased the lowers last year, so cost is something of a moot point. But it's good to know there are options for future builds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Any brand upper should fit.... 223, 5.56, Wylde, 300blk, 6.8, 6.5, 7.62x39, just not a 308.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Any mil spec upper for ar15 but their .308 is dpms pattern (there is a few ar-308 types) instead of armalite ar10. I believe that's the only time the distinction matters. And there are more than a few company's making dpms pattern rifles. The prices are steep but their jig is second to none.....except for .308 jig. In that regard modulus wins with only universal jig I have seen. I suppose I will "just have to" buy that next. Black gun fever...its my cross to bear lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help everyone!  I appreciate the clarification.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top