Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 8:28:26 PM EDT
Hi all,
I'm very new to the AR-15 platform but I have decided to build my first AR to get more familiar.  I found a rifle kit on PSA's website and I was curious of everyone's thoughts on it.  I like the MOE style, and 16" is what I want.  I understand it doesn't include the stripped lower receiver, but I feel like it's missing something else?  It's currently out of stock but was on sale for $560.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hoyle

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-premium-moe-16-5-56mm-1-7-carbine-length-m4-profile-rifle-kit-de.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good kit, but you'll have to keep checking their website to see when it comes back in stock, or you could consider this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/891766/del-ton-m4-carbine-kit-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-m4-contour-barrel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Or this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/522833/del-ton-m4-moe-carbine-kit-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-medium-contour-barrel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Both will need a lower receiver and a set of BUIS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
LOOKS SIMILAR TO MY FIRST BUILD I USED ATI KIT WITH ANDERSON LOWER NO MALFUNCTIONS  AR15 .COM WAS GREAT HELP GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would stay on that sale and get it when it comes. It shows the completed upper and notes that it comes with the MOE lower build kit which has everything you'll need (I've used one). No offense to what Vulcantor posted but, in the grand scheme of things, Del-Ton isn't very high quality(i.e. you get what you pay for). Palmetto State has their barrels made by FN who does work for the military and they're able to sell everything so cheap because of all the ammo they sell (unlike most AR manufacturers who strictly sell their own AR parts). I may never buy from anyone but PSA I've liked their stuff so much.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would stay on that sale and get it when it comes. It shows the completed upper and notes that it comes with the MOE lower build kit which has everything you'll need (I've used one). No offense to what Vulcantor posted but, in the grand scheme of things, Del-Ton isn't very high quality(i.e. you get what you pay for). Palmetto State has their barrels made by FN who does work for the military and they're able to sell everything so cheap because of all the ammo they sell (unlike most AR manufacturers who strictly sell their own AR parts). I may never buy from anyone but PSA I've liked their stuff so much.
View Quote

PSA are very good, I have one of their 20" uppers, and it's a nice piece of kit. I've heard pretty good feedback on Delton products, but if the OP wants PSA, but is prepared to forego having Magpul MOE furniture on his rifle try this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-rifle-kit.html

It's in stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PSA are very good, I have one of their 20" uppers, and it's a nice piece of kit. I've heard pretty good feedback on Delton products, but if the OP wants PSA, but is prepared to forego having Magpul MOE furniture on his rifle try this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-rifle-kit.html

It's in stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's in stock.

+1 This ^^^^
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hoyle:  Personally, I'm leery of kits for building ARs or getting started in reloading.  They are always a compromise of low cost and adequate function.  Instead, select each part individually and build a rifle exactly the way you want it, with emphasis on a high quality barrel.  I recommend a 16" barrel with mid length gas or 18 to 20" barrel with rifle gas.  Carbine gas systems are too rough on the reciprocating parts, supposedly. - CW
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I'm leery of kits for building ARs or getting started in reloading. They are always a compromise of low cost and adequate function. Instead, select each part individually and build a rifle exactly the way you want it
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with kits.  One just needs to know what they're getting.  Certainly there are dirt cheap kits with mediocre parts, but there are also kits with very high quality components.  And if what's in the kit fits the bill, the "package bundling" will certainly save money.  

PSA offers kits ranging from their bare bones PTAC carbine at under $400 to those that come with Magpul furniture, MI handguards and FN barrels.

If someone doesn't know exactly what they want in a first rifle and isn't inclined to spend months researching and sifting through all the banter trying to figure out what he should buy and what he should avoid, the kit is a great way to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going with the kit option.  It will give me an opportunity to build the lower and get more familiar with the platform before I get into anything too complicated.  I will post pics when I get everything :)

Hoyle
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top