Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 6:44:50 PM EDT
Have a question for you seasoned builders.. I'm building my first and have a heavy buffer and going to use a 16" barrel. My question is, should I use a carbine or mid length gas system?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a question for you seasoned builders.. I'm building my first and have a heavy buffer and going to use a 16" barrel. My question is, should I use a carbine or mid length gas system?  Thanks in advance
View Quote

Who makes the bbl? Gasport size is important. FWIW, my BCM 16" LW midlength uppers run 100% w/an H2 buffer & Wolf XP spring, even w/PMC Bronze (YMMV).
16" I prefer midlength, 14.5" I prefer carbine.
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't purchased a barrel yet. Not sire which manufacturer I'm going with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
For a 16", I'd choose to do mid length gas system. Longer barrel than the carbine, longer gas system than the carbine is probably ideal. (and supposedly is)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Why have you decided on a heavy buffer before deciding on anything else?  I agree that a midlength gas system is a good idea, but with that you won't need anything like a heavy buffer unless the barrel you get has a badly oversized gas port.  In other words, if you get a barrel from a decent source, a standard buffer will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Rookie sh!t starting with the buffer....in a year or two you'll see..
Take the good advice and read/study more.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Mid-length for me, also I start at H2 with a CS flatwire spring.
So far I have had one weapon where I had to go to a lighter buffer.
Since I already have them it is not like it is a big deal to change buffers or springs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mid-length for me, also I start at H2 with a CS flatwire spring.
So far I have had one weapon where I had to go to a lighter buffer.
Since I already have them it is not like it is a big deal to change buffers or springs.
View Quote

I used to have the tubb flat wire spring. It's too noisy for my. Went to a SprinCo white, I love it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for midlength.  Softer shooting than a carbine, in my opinion.  I prefer a 16 inch barrel because I can mount a bayonet but 14.5 + pinned comp midlengths are the shit as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty new to the AR scene, but I am pleased with my two 16" middies. I also like Black Hole Weaponry barrels.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, Direct Drive it is rookie sh#... I'm learning as I go. Picked up the buffer at a show dirt cheap so its not a big deal if I have to change it out. Thanks everyone for their sugesstions.  It's been fun for me doing this build. And I've learned a lot and still have much to learn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd also say Midlength.

I usually start with a H or H2 buffer and see what it does.  Standard carbine buffers are cheap and everywhere.  

Personally, as far as gas systems go, I like:

Pistol on 7"-9.5"
carbine on 10"-13.7"
Mid length on 14.5"-16"
Rifle on 18"-20"

I have built all of the above and formed my opinion based on the performance.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd also say Midlength.

I usually start with a H or H2 buffer and see what it does.  Standard carbine buffers are cheap and everywhere.  

Personally, as far as gas systems go, I like:

Pistol on 7"-9.5"
carbine on 10"-13.7"
Mid length on 14.5"-16"
Rifle on 18"-20"

I have built all of the above and formed my opinion based on the performance.

View Quote
Right on, plus 1 to this. - CW
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top