Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:12:24 PM EDT
I've gotten the black gun disease and am working on my 3rd build.  But, I'm running out of excuses to build another.  

Donated one to a charity event last night for an organization that I was going to give money to anyway.  I got to build and they made more than I would have given.

What do you guys do?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've gotten the black gun disease and am working on my 3rd build.  But, I'm running out of excuses to build another.  

Donated one to a charity event last night for an organization that I was going to give money to anyway.  I got to build and they made more than I would have given.

What do you guys do?
View Quote

Give all of mine to charity too; those that haven't been lost in boating accidents.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give all of mine to charity too; those that haven't been lost in boating accidents.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you guys do?

Great answer!  There seem to be a lot of boating accidents on Arfcom...

Otherwise I give em to wife, sell em, or lose them fishing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There's always an excuse to build another.  Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.  Gotta have the backups!  

1. Basic Carbine
2. Precision/Long Distance/SPR build
3. HD gun
4. AR Pistol - Various Uppers
5. SBR -  Various Uppers (Shared with Pistol)
6. Truck/Trunk guns (One for every vehicle you own).  
7. Fun/theme gun ('Murica!, Zombie, Pink, Tribute, etc.)  

And then there are the various calibers upon which one can build, as well.  Or switch it up and build a couple of AR-10's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot them.  Then start imagining a new purpose built gun.  About the time I think I've got an AR for everything I come up with another concept to fill.

Cheap blasters, short recce, regular recce, SPR's, trunk guns, stash guns, home defense rifles, hand out rifles, 80% on the cheap, etc.

Lately I've been testing some 1:6 barrels for bullet stability.  My other gun that I'm still experimenting with is my BumpSAW.  It's hard to beat the fun of 900RPM mag dumps and controllable FA type experience without the excessive cost of buying a registered lower.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
filling the safe one gun at a time. until I need a bigger safe...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have more than 10 I have never fired.  I build slow though as I go with quality over quantity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My collection:  5.56 pistol, 7.62x39 rifle, .308 scoped beast of doom

Next?  SBR the pistol!

Now I need to stockpile ammo more than anymore guns...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot 'em.
Been on a pistol kick lately.
Thinking about a long range free float barrel next...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
im almost done with #17. i shoot mine and keep one at each of my four best friends houses,mostly cause they dont one and i need another safe
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What do you guys do?
View Quote

What a guy does in the privacy of his own home, when alone with his sporting rifles is nobody else's business.
But since you asked, Myself,  I like to slather myself with case lube and roll around with them. Now aren't you sorry you asked? lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
bigger safe helped me out
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What a guy does in the privacy of his own home, when alone with his sporting rifles is nobody else's business.
But since you asked, Myself,  I like to slather myself with case lube and roll around with them. Now aren't you sorry you asked? lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys do?

Thanks, I thought I was the only one that did that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
All 30 of them are scattered about the house as the safe was long ago filled. Need another safe - and a few more fishing trips!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Choot 'em!  Choot 'em!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot mine. But then I am old school.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
each one has a different use, really.

I have one that i call my "beater" gun which goes in the car, gets "beat up" really. It's a simple setup but runs like a democrat on the first of the month.
Another is a general purpose rifle which could also be construed as a beater gun, but can also be run in competition (and it has).
One is setup strictly for competition but can also handle SPR/long range duties in a pinch.
SBR is for HD/Fun but can also be run in competition if i wanted a little challenge..

Some people just do hog wild with them, but i am a bit more strategic in my thinking with them.

Safe space is another concern.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
SBR and suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I've gotten the black gun disease and am working on my 3rd build. But, I'm running out of excuses to build another.
View Quote

Out of ideas with only 3???

I don't know what you have, but there are plenty of ways to do well more than 3 without much overlap.

In addition to run-of-the-mill carbines,

Pistol build
5.56 SBR
.300 BLK SBR
featherweight 14.5 or 16
Dissipator
18" SPR
20" A1
20" A2/3
20-24" Bull barrel

And then there are all the parts combinations....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#19]
First one I built was for hunting. The build I'm doing now is an SPR type. I may pause for a bit after that ones done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot mine. But then again, I only have two ARs. One I built and one I bought. I am in the process of building my second AR which will make three.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm running out of excuses to build another.
View Quote

I did not think this was possible........ As a matter of fact, it has to be impossible!!
I am a latecomer to the platform after many years of benchrest, revolver, semi-auto
pistol & flintlocks. I simply can't think of any other platform that would draw me away
until I die.

Make a retro?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Basically I help others assemble an AR .

Even though they could afford to just buy their own , some just want to be able to say , " this is mine ".

gd
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Basically I help others assemble an AR .

Even though they could afford to just buy their own , some just want to be able to say , " this is mine ".
View Quote

I think this is where I'm heading.  I got a lot of comments at the auction from friends that though built-my-own was really cool.  I guess I've spent to much time on ARFCOM, I thought everybody was building.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
..I thought everybody was building.
View Quote

I keep thinking the same - then have to remind myself. Once I realized it'd be cheaper to "make it my own" by building rather than replacing parts, I almost forgot some folks are ok buying one premade and more or less calling it good. Nothing against it, but funny how intense the AR build disease can be.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought I had enough AR rifles at two -  one primo 20" 5.56 rifle that shoots tiny little groups, and a nearly perfect 16" 6.8 that is a work of art and almost as accurate.  Then I got caught up in the ultra lightweight craze, an especially virulent form of the BRD, and am now collecting parts for another 6.8 SPC rifle.  When complete, this next one will weigh approx. 5 lbs, 12 oz and will feature a Magpul K2plus grip and MOE handguard.  When the MOE SL version come out in mid length, I'll swap out for that one.  I consider plastic to be the ideal material for handguards and the rubbery feel of the K2+ grip is just about perfect. - CW
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Sell them out of the back of my Ice Cream Truck. On my way to Baltimore now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Builds, what builds?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't know what you have, but there are plenty of ways to do well more than 3 without much overlap.

Pistol build

5.56 SBR

.300 BLK SBR

featherweight 14.5 or 16

Dissipator

18" SPR

20" A1

20" A2/3

20-24" Bull barrel

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've gotten the black gun disease and am working on my 3rd build. But, I'm running out of excuses to build another.

Pistol build

5.56 SBR

.300 BLK SBR

featherweight 14.5 or 16

Dissipator

18" SPR

20" A1

20" A2/3

20-24" Bull barrel

You managed to neglect all of the Pistol Caliber Carbine varieties which could easily double your list.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#29]
1- Hunting
2- GP M4 beater
3- Safe Queen/EOTWAWKI

Sold
4- Iron sight competition AR
5- SPR/Bench gun

Want to build
6- Competition gun again
7- Hi Power gun
8- SPR again
9- one for oldest son
10- one for youngest son
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to sell them. Build them, test them, play with them, then sell them. The State of California eventually put a hold on any and all transfers by me for 6 months for exceeding the 6 rifle sale per year limit. They said I need a FFL to build and sell rifles. So I pretty much stopped building them and selling them. I just make builds for my Son and I and my goals are to make the most dependable rifle that has few or no malfunctions and is accurate. I do more "upgrading" now to my personal rifles and my Sons rifles than I do building new ones. I like new technology. -W
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine are all built to be shot.  Problem is as I build more, I log less and less range time on some of the builds.

My first build was a 20" bull barrel varmint gun.  It's fits the role, however I then wanted something a bit lighter, more SPR-ish.  That's where the build with the 18" stainless barrel with the MI T12 quad rail came in.  It wasn't long before I was planning a basic carbine, a dissipator, a midlength gas, and a 20" gov't profile build.

I'm kinda leaning toward making an A1 or A2 upper build, however my concern is I may be building what is basically a carry handle only version of a rifle configuration I already have.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top