Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2015 11:05:03 AM EDT
Recently purchased 2 stripped Anderson lowers. Nice finish, great price. Finally got around to assembling, ran into some problems
Receiver #1- Bolt catch wouldn't fit in slot.Tried 3 different catches, no go. No obvious burrs on receiver. Filed sides of slot, catch finally fit.
Receiver #2- Front take-down pin wouldn't fit in hole, no way. Tried 2 different pins. No obvious burrs on receiver. Used drill bit on T wrench. Finally got it to fit.

I've assembled over 20 lowers, various makes. Never ran into these issues before. Just a heads-up to you guys.
Good news, both functioned perfectly. 2 mags through each.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Where did you buy them from
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My second AR has an Anderson lower....no problems whatsoever.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was kinda tight but after installing and using a little it loosened up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I've put together 3 Andersons.  Ran into the same problems with one of them.  Ended up going through my parts boxes and polishing with emory cloth until I could finally get it working.  The other 2 were perfect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
ive done 12+ andersons and only had one issue where the mag catch was hanging up in the slot. it was the catch itself not the lower. nothing a small file didnt fix
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you expect for 49 buck$?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Buddy of mine bought two from AIM.

This is the only problem he's had with them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you expect for 49 buck$?
View Quote

Quality even at 49 bucks.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have built two with no problems. Great deal for a lower.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've built many of them with no problems.  I think the only reason it seams like there are numerous problems with them is they probably outsell every other lower combined!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I built one 2 weeks ago. My take was that it was right on tolerances....everything "just fit" with zero slack or slop. The tightest was the mag catch. I liked how it went together. It felt like something made to exacting standards rather than loose and sloppy.

I'm very happy with the first one and have one more for a future build.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
On my 3rd.  No issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I just used an Anderson lower in my first build. No issues with bolt catch, mag release, FCG, or pins. No filing required.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Whose parts kit were you using?    Ive done three so far..........no issues and their customer service is top notch...........check out the video and tour of their shop where they machine these little bargains..........

Anderson is good to go........price and quality=value
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Whose parts kit were you using?    Ive done three so far..........no issues and their customer service is top notch...........check out the video and tour of their shop where they machine these little bargains..........

Anderson is good to go........price and quality=value
View Quote

Except for taking off too much material between the grip and the stock, yes, my friend's are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Anderson lower that a buffer tube will only screw in a couple of threads .  

Going to try another tube .   If that doesn't work , guess I'll contact Anderson .

gd

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used 2 and had no issues whatsoever. Fit and finish was clean and tight. My Spikes builds on the other hand...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
i have built two AR's with them and no issues what so ever and plan on continuing to use them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I've built at least 5 off their lowers, never had the first bit of problems. Fit and finish were excellent, though one has more of a purplish hue i n the right light that looks great on my FN A2 upper, reminds me of ones we had in the armory
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've used 2 and had no issues whatsoever. Fit and finish was clean and tight. My Spikes builds on the other hand...
View Quote

And did you contact Spikes?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. It was minor stuff like the grip screw threads not being tapped in far enough, pivot pin holes needing reaming, etc., but it was only on two of the 5 Spikes I did.  As long as it's things I can easily remedy myself I don't bother contacting manufacturers. I'm too impatient to send things back and wait unless absolutely necessary. I know they would have shipped out replacements, but like I said, I'm impatient.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have an Anderson lower that a buffer tube will only screw in a couple of threads .  

Going to try another tube .   If that doesn't work , guess I'll contact Anderson .

gd

Good news .  Tried another tube and it works .   Still tight as hell but at least now the build can progress .

gd

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I used a Anderson lower with a PSA lower parts  kit and PSA 10.5" upper for my AR pistol this year- no issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Other than the roll pins being excessively tight all was ok with the two I built.  In fact I am thinking of buying two more just to sock away for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Other than the roll pins being excessively tight all was ok with the two I built.  In fact I am thinking of buying two more just to sock away for a rainy day.
View Quote

+1
This was the only issue I encountered on the two I built also.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
They are good lowers.

OP, grab a pair of calipers and start taking measurements compared to another non-Anderson lower.  Post the deviation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Got two Anderson lowers in the other day.  Along with TR Enabling LPK's.

Pivot pin wouldn't close in the first one and had to file some off of the flat side of the pivot pin head to fit, (did try other pivot pins with the same result),  the second Anderson lower went together nicely and I'm very happy with the fit and finish of it.

I will try more, at least until I have a problem that isn't simple to fix....and I'm sure that the lower could have been replaced but like an earlier poster, I'm impatient about exchanges especially when it's an easy fix.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I've built a half dozen or more Anderson lowers and no problems so far, I'd like to know the make of your lower parts kits, I've had plenty of problems with low price parts kits.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I built my first rifle on an Anderson lower with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gd

Good news .  Tried another tube and it works .   Still tight as hell but at least now the build can progress .

gd

No problems with my Anderson lower with closed trigger guard.

Was the buffer tube that wouldn't fit, The $16 7075/T6 from receiver nation on ebay? the guy sent me two neither one would fit my Anderson lower with closed trigger guard, it would only screw in a couple of threads.
IT Cost 8 bucks to send them back to the jackass. I bought one a couple years ago from him that works great. So I bought a BCM that screwed right in.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#31]
The local dealer here in town is selling them for 55.00 plus tax. I picked one up for a knock around rifle build.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Recently purchased 2 stripped Anderson lowers. Nice finish, great price. Finally got around to assembling, ran into some problems
Receiver #1- Bolt catch wouldn't fit in slot.Tried 3 different catches, no go. No obvious burrs on receiver. Filed sides of slot, catch finally fit.
Receiver #2- Front take-down pin wouldn't fit in hole, no way. Tried 2 different pins. No obvious burrs on receiver. Used drill bit on T wrench. Finally got it to fit.

I've assembled over 20 lowers, various makes. Never ran into these issues before. Just a heads-up to you guys.
Good news, both functioned perfectly. 2 mags through each.
View Quote

I tried using a strike industries LPK in an Anderson lower and the bolt catch would not fit. I had two Anderson lowers at the time and it wouldn't fit in either.

It was the LPK and not the lower, as a CMMG LPK bolt catch fit just fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#33]
My thoughts on Anderson lowers. Its a no frill lower that the manufacturer is not raping the consumer for a huge fast profit. I'm looking at mine...yep it doesn't say spikes, stag or rock river. Its just as functionable as the ones I listed without the surcharge for a BIG name brand. They still are probably profiting $20 a receiver instead of $50+ a receiver. The only downside I found on mine is the ugly ass horse on the side they could have just had Anderson Manufacturing for the roll mark.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Anderson makes a quality product at a very attractive price point............that said..........ive seen people rag on them cuz they are not on this site.............I think they avoid this site cuz off all the bs whining...............
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kid at the local shop said both Spike's & Anderson ship from the factory in identical packages. 0 problems with mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Just finished an Anderson, well waiting on trigger but other than that done.  It was not as nice as my spikes I did b4.  Front detention spring hole to deep.  Grip fit funny.  It did work fine and was 1/2 price so not complaining much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My thoughts on Anderson lowers. Its a no frill lower that the manufacturer is not raping the consumer for a huge fast profit. I'm looking at mine...yep it doesn't say spikes, stag or rock river. Its just as functionable as the ones I listed without the surcharge for a BIG name brand. They still are probably profiting $20 a receiver instead of $50+ a receiver. The only downside I found on mine is the ugly ass horse on the side they could have just had Anderson Manufacturing for the roll mark.
View Quote

Don't take this personal, it's for ALL that make the same statement.

Colt has a horse on their lowers, and I never heard anybody complain about it
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None taken at all. Its like women we all have our own likes and dislikes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm amazed (and somewhat fascinated) by the preoccupation with roll marks.  I've got lowers from three different manufacturers and I don't pay any attention to the roll marks.  Honestly, as long as it doesn't compromise the physical integrity of the lower, who freakin' cares?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]
It doesn't matter for a commodity lower, like these are.

I've paid extra for novelty roll marks, like the Florida Hometown marks from that group purchase from Spikes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I put one together about three weeks ago. Greased both the pivot & take-down holes, mine slipped right in. I can manipulate them with my thumbs. Unlike my Daniel Defense which takes an aid to get them moving.
You must have gotten one from a bad run. Surprising, as I understand that Anderson is a major producer of AR receivers???
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I probably built 10 and had one tight pivot pin.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The two I have built have 223/5.56 on them. Aren't the newer ones "multical" marked? What markings did the problem lowers have?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top