Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m11-finned-barrel-in-5-56mm-with-ext/

Anybody seen this?  Should I use it on a build?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were building a tommy gun, I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Spikes's has a similar design. Meh
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a finned barrel from them but I do have several others made by Green Mountain and they are excellent barrels.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
From all I have read it is just as accurate as a standard barrel with no down side.  If you like the looks, go for it, but honest to God I don't see any advantage of it over a standard barrel of equal weight.  One could possibly claim it cools quicker but I don't shoot my barrels hot, EVER, so it would serve no advantage to me other than being something different.  I have toyed with the idea of getting one for a kicks and giggles build for over a year, and if they drop the price back down to what it was 6 months ago, $165, I still might, but they bumped the price back up a bit and that kind of turned me off on it.  I am not really crazy about doing any more 5.56 builds anyway.  GM barrels are outstanding barrels though.  I have several done on GM blanks and all are super accurate so the only question in my mind is, do you want the finned look or not?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Its either finned or stainless for this rifle...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you were building a tommy gun, I'd say go for it.
View Quote

Ah..beat.

They made a batch of Tommy gun barrels that are available on their site.  I bet some genius said, "hey, since wear all tooled up to make these fins, let's run a batch of AR barrels through too!"

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been eyeing the finned barrel but I was building a 7.62x39 at the time. maybe for the next build i guess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]

The barrel has a ton of surface area and, while I don't do lots of consecutive mag dumps, it doesn't get very hot, and cools quickly.  It's also more accurate than I am.

And it gets a lot of WTF-type .comments
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#9]
personally, not my style. but all green mountain barrels are great. very accurate barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes you should use it.

BUT only if you also use wood furniture.

tommy ar 15 ftw
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Now that would be a lil different!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have test fired a couple of them and they both shot sub-moa.  Of course its rare to find a Green Mountain barrel that doesn't shoot sub-moa with match ammo.  The barrel is a lot lighter than a standard M4.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well that is the ugliest barrel I have ever seen!  If you like it, go for it...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was running a very long hand guard that covered it up, with a cap, I would do it if it was indeed an advantage. Or like someone said, with a wood furniture set.

If I was going to do that though, I would use the same wood as the Thompson, have a Thompson style vertical foregrip , a Cutts Compensator, and a drum mag.

And never shoot it without a cigar in my mouth.

From the inside of a 29 Ford, while wearing a zoot suit.

With a shit eating grin.

But that's just me.

Oh, forgot to include the Flapper GF.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted hell yes because I've got a GM-M7 barrel from Green Mountain and it's a fantastic barrel. I'm planning a new build and will be buying another Green Mountain barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd get it because Green Mountain and why the fuck not.

It would be interseting to install this and a regualur barrel in identical rifles and see which feels hotter after 100 rounds. The more heat you feel, the cooler the barrel would be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't really want my rifle to look like it has a broach hanging out of the hand guard.

But if it works for you, hey...........it's your gun!

I did get a kick out of one of the reviews, though:

Barrel looks great, nicely finished, machine work looks very precise. Don't have all parts needed to build upper yet, will use this barrel for an ultra light weight upper. If it shoots as good as it looks, we be good to go.
View Quote

Don't think a 1.7 pound tube is a particularly good starting point far an ultra light...........
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Now on the hunt for a stainless......
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I may try one... I have a Colt light weight that I love. It's light, easy and fast to bring up to shoot. When I go jack hunting I usually do mag dumps and go through 500-600 rounds a day easily when the jacks are hot and holding tight, so the pencil barrel just gets to dam hot, so hot accuracy goes to hell. Hbar guns are to heavy to hold at the ready all day long. It might be ugly but I bet it runs cool.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top