Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2015 11:04:41 AM EDT
Hello,

I am in the process of building an AR and I love the idea of the syrac adjustable gas block. Unfortunately I don't have room in my budget for a 200 free float handguard. As such I won't have a front sight if I go with a low profile gas block like the syrac.

This gun will simply be for the range so backup sights are not a necessity in my mind (but of course I would like to have some). I plan to use my TRS-25 until I save up for a scope.

I was wondering if there were any affordable front sight options that don't attach to the gas block, or if I'm being foolish and should buy the A2 front sight until I can afford a free float handguard?

(part of my reservations is that the A2 front sights are not that cheap (~40-50$) and I found a syrac clamp on for 85, so very tempting for the added functionality, but am I crazy to ditch the front sight?)
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh and here's a picture of my build thus far

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
1) why adjustable gas block? Will you be running supressed or some caliber other than 5.56/.223 that involves fine tuning?

2) a really good quality free float handguard can be had for around $130. ETA: check cheaperthandirt.com

3) I don't like the idea of the FSB with non magnified optics. I'd rather be able to fold them down if I don't want to see them in my field of view.

Just some thoughts but id say go for a decent free float and throw your red dot on there. Get the thing built up and then eventually the optic you want. If you choose to add BUIS later you can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
1) going for the adjustable gas block so I can turn the gas down to be softer shooting at the range, but I'm planning for a mid length gas system so do you think it will be noticeable?

2) ok any suggestions on budget free floats, I definitely don't want some heavy quad rail

3) so you're saying you don't like the a2 front sight with a reddot? I wouldn't think it would be too bad if they were co witnessed but I haven't seen that in real life. and you're saying with magnification, the a2 fades out so it doesn't matter?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) going for the adjustable gas block so I can turn the gas down to be softer shooting at the range, but I'm planning for a mid length gas system so do you think it will be noticeable?

View Quote

I know everyone has their preferences; but, I can't picture a .223/5.56 being an issue with recoil on a carbine or rifle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would skip the adjustable block. there's no recoil reduction in undergassing, just cycle problems. A dedicated brake will be far more effective for soft shots.

As for the a2, I would skip it as well For a range rifle. budget constraints don't mean you cant have what you like, if you want the a2 go for it ,but free float doesn't mean 300+. My 4th build ,$ 650 before optics, from scratch.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Utg keymod 15 inch, $127 add to cart for the reduced price, regular super slim is even less, if you don't want 15 inch even less, you get the idea. They also sell diamond head for around 160
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/utg-pro-ar-15-spr-slm-ff-kmod-rail-97778.html?zenid=lvgpq6m5f54aho5r325b6sjo15
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What barrel are you going with??  A midlength gassed barrel in 16" is already going to be soft shooting, and you are going to be disappointed when that Syrac does nothing to reduce recoil, except make the rifle short-stroke.  I have seen this happen now with 3 different rifles.

If you are not running a suppressor, or running a complete junk barrel that has a monster gas port, you won't need it.

16" mid gas barrels from reputable manufacturers are soft shooters, and you can throw an H buffer in, for good measure with full power ammo.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Utg keymod 15 inch, $127 add to cart for the reduced price, regular super slim is even less, if you don't want 15 inch even less, you get the idea. They also sell diamond head for around 160
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/utg-pro-ar-15-spr-slm-ff-kmod-rail-97778.html?zenid=lvgpq6m5f54aho5r325b6sjo15
View Quote

Hell, for that price range I'd get an ALG EMR V1.  I'd trust ALG over UTG any day, and the ALG is like half the weight and includes everything you need to install it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Alg is a fine option, the point was to demonstrate that free float doesn't have to break the bank if you shop long enough. I would encourage people Not to shun the utg pro, its a well kept secret and the prices keep going up, their optics are airsoft but these rails are hot shit. well scalloped and good barrel nut. I reccomend them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top