Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2015 11:45:31 PM EDT
Hello, I am in the process of building an AR. The barrel will be my next purchase, as my lower is complete and I have purchased the upper receiver. The majority of my rifle will be budget, but from everything I have heard the barrel is where you want to spend your money. That being said, I dont want to pay for a brand name. As such I stumbled upon rainer arms barrels. They have a "MOA Guarantee" (with match grade ammo). Any one have thoughts on their barrels? They are stainless steel, but anyone have experience with these or is this all just a gimmick?

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-22
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience personally, but Rainier Arms makes some great barrels. The Select barrels are Black Hole Weaponry, the Ultramatch are Shilen blanks. From another thread with regards to accuracy:
Select=quarter size groups
Match=nickel size groups
Ultramatch=dime size groups

You won't be disappointed with whichever you go with.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have their 18" SPR Match barrel and it does indeed shoot sub MOA when I do my part.
Excellent barrels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I own 2 RA Match barrels.

16" .223 Wylde and a 20" .308

I haven't shot the 308 yet but the .223 is indeed sub MOA

The biggest problem with these barrels is most times they are more accurate than the shooter.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
.308 stainless match, with Handloads

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Have one on my ar10 and ar15. Easily sub MOA like they advertise. Easy
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a select 16 in spiral fluted, only open sights ( waiting for adm recon sale)and it really makes me look good, even with crap ammo
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I use their LR-308 18" Ultramatch barrel and get sub MOA all the time. I'm confident it can shoot 1/2 MOA or even 1/4 MOA with the right ammo. I'm sure all their 5.56 barrels are good too. If you're considering one, I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent barrels, no gimmick!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an 18" ultra match in 223 with 1 in 8 twist and shoot  groups under 3/4" at 100 yards with reloads. Hornady 75gr match bullets are showing real potential and

should easily do 1/2" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy with confidence. Rainier makes some great stuff, not just their barrels.  Great folks to deal with too.        

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No experience personally, but Rainier Arms makes some great barrels. The Select barrels are Black Hole Weaponry, the Ultramatch are Shilen blanks. From another thread with regards to accuracy:
Match=nickel size groups

View Quote

Rainier select are the same as BHW?  I thought the BHW were 3 groove polygonal and Rainier were 5 groove polygonal....
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rainier select are the same as BHW?  I thought the BHW were 3 groove polygonal and Rainier were 5 groove polygonal....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Match=nickel size groups

I wouldn't say they are the same, per se, but BHW makes the "Select" series barrels to Rainier Arms specs (which may be different to BHW's own line). The "match" and "Ultramatch" are made elsewhere (to Rainier Arms specs).
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Select in 18" and with my 69gr SMKs and Varget I'm at about .75 moa on average, and shooting clover leaves is fairly common.  Could not be happier for the $$$.  FYI Rainier is pretty much a real brand, but they are also rebranding another real barrel maker's barrels; The Selects, at least, are made by Black Hole who make excellent polygonal barrels.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 16" Ranier Select (BHW) on my 300 BO.  I like it.  Havent worked much at accuracy yet, but Im expecting decent groups.  Price was right too.

Id love a 20" Ultramatch on my AR15, but just cant swallow that $500 pill, yet...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Now, this may be a dumb question, but can I mount an A2 gas block on a rainer barrel? I've read that there need to be notches in the barrel for the pins, is this true?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Now, this may be a dumb question, but can I mount an A2 gas block on a rainer barrel? I've read that there need to be notches in the barrel for the pins, is this true?
View Quote

Not a dumb question at all.  

Since I do not know the answer, I'd have to recommend heading to Rainier's industry forum here on Arfcom or emailing/calling them directly in regards to the specific barrel you are interested in.  They respond very quickly from my dealings with them.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and yes. Although there are A2's available that will clamp on.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok great to hear, I'm planning on getting the classic style with pins as they seem to be a bit easier to find and possibly more secure?

So it does have the slots for pins? How can you tell?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok great to hear, I'm planning on getting the classic style with pins as they seem to be a bit easier to find and possibly more secure?

So it does have the slots for pins? How can you tell?

Thanks
View Quote

The barrels only come with one dimple opposite the gas port for a set screw gas block, however I believe you can have Rainier notch the barrel for you (for a small fee of course). Check out their gunsmithing link on the website, I think gas block pinning will run you around $45
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#20]
There's a lot that can go wrong even if you start with Shilen blanks.

Thing is these companies only build to the specs of the customer. You don't automatically get the other company's product for less. Like FN only makes the CHF barrels to the grade that PSA pays them to. Or BHW to Rainier's specs.

Rainier has a good rep though, and more deserved than some. The 10.5 Select grade I have on my pistol build has been excellent. Feed ramps line up with a quality upper's ramps, barrel fit way too tight into upper, but that's an issue with the upper on every dimension, accurate, the Rainier BCG functions perfect in it (highly recommend over the AIM or others for your build), and everything else has been good. Barrels are dimpled for a gas block. Recommend Seekins adjustable block.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
take a look at Odin Works barrels. i built a SPR .223 around their 18 inch mid gas barrel. Sig Sauer upper and lower. Odin Works offers a moa guarantee as well i believe and mine has exceeded my expectations. best groups at 100 yds have been in the .33 inch range with an average around .7 inch. this is with factory re-manufactured HPR 75 gr HPBT rounds. can't wait to try hand loads in it. just getting started on that now. this barrel very reasonable at about $265. i think they come with a gas block as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a select series medcon barrel on one of my ars. It shoots really well. I believe the quality is excellent and I wouldn't trade it for any other barrel in the same price range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I had just purchased a 16" 300blk match barrel and the overall quality looked decent but not has nice as an odin works barrel for around the same price.  When I went to install it with a rainier match gas block the gas block would not slip onto the barrel.  It stopped about 1.5" from the gas port and "froze" marring the finish the of the barrel.  I was disappointed to say the least, the whole reason I went with the rainier barrel/block was the pistol gas system and advertised damage free block install.  I removed the barrel and returned it for a refund……maybe I just got a slightly out of spec barrel or block?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top