Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2015 4:18:44 PM EDT
So i'm doing my first DIY build, bought a PSA blem stripped lower, CMMG parts kit for most of the innards but opted for a Daniel defense grip that comes with its own screw & grip.  When I get to this step i'm trying to get the screw in and get about half way in when I start feeling too much resistance, so I back off, try again, etc.  Noticed after I took the DD-screw out, it was stripping at the end where it met the deeper part of the tap.  

So what now?  
I tried the screw that came with the CMMG set, met the same resistance at the same depth so didn't push any further?

I've bought PSA before and was pleased, granted they had it all assembled (full lower), and I cannot believe that a bad tap equals "blemished but functional".

I've considered just buying a shorter screw but not sure how that'll fly.

Any help is awesome.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you dont want to go through the hassle of sending it back to PSA I would buy a 1/4-28 tap and chase the threads.  I do this on all my lowers to avoid your very problem as well as to run the threads all the way into the fire control pocket.  This allows me to install a short grub screw to adjust the trigger forward travel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you dont want to go through the hassle of sending it back to PSA I would buy a 1/4-28 tap and chase the threads.  I do this on all my lowers to avoid your very problem as well as to run the threads all the way into the fire control pocket.  This allows me to install a short grub screw to adjust the trigger forward travel.
View Quote

This is the correct way.... I just torqued down on a grade 8 screw.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
alrighty then, bought them on amazon, will give it a shot once it comes in.  and on my next build, you're suggesting i run the tap through prior to even attempting to tighten down correct?  thanks a bunch
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget to lube that tap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't forget to lube that tap.
View Quote

And to go slow and work it back and forth when resistance is felt.  Last thing you want to do is snap that tap in the hole.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
A good "lube" for taps on aluminum is Crisco type lard cooking grease. Fill the gaps of the tap and the pieces that come off while making threads will stay in the lard instead of galling everything up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
As the other posters said, lube and back and forth a bunch. If you break it all is not lost, it just becomes a major pain.  It involves small carbide endmills and a mill though. There's also the option of using a helicoil if the threads are stripped too bad to save.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If all fails you could just go AK on it and drill out the threads, countersink it a little from the top, and use a nut to keep the screw in.

*I have never done this, but it could work if things go really bad*
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the exact same issue with a psa blem lower last year...a cheap tap some wd40 and a few minutes and it was good to go
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]

I just assembled two PSA Blen Lowers with no issues, tapping the hole is the best way to go.  I modified my lowers to use these :

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O72M4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for the take down detent hole in the rear of the receiver.

Did all three of my lowers(2 new one already prebuilt)

I now have three screws left for the next builds!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Some lowers don't have the screw hole tapped all the way. A 1/4-28 tap and a shot of WD-40 will fix that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
If all fails you could just go AK on it and drill out the threads, countersink it a little from the top, and use a nut to keep the screw in.
View Quote

That would be more work than simply tapping to a slightly larger size, like M7-1.0
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That would be more work than simply tapping to a slightly larger size, like M7-1.0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Suggesting a bastard size metric thread on an American gun, how could you?

OP, there are many many ways to go about fixing it, even if you screw something up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
got the tap in yesterday night, spent my lunch re-tapping the hole.  fits perfectly now.  I went ahead and did my 2nd build's receiver before even trying to screw, and i'm glad i did, was able to bring out a lot of shavings.

on a slightly different note though, I was installing the forward breakdown pin w/ spring and detent; I did get them in, but not before launching them into the air and searching my living room for 5 minutes.

Just for future reference is there a "good" way to complete this step?  I put the spring in, put detent on top, held down with razor blade, then slid takedown pin on top.  only took me 2 tries but hindsight would like to avoid scouring the floor for little springs and pins.

thanks a bunch

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
got the tap in yesterday night, spent my lunch re-tapping the hole.  fits perfectly now.  I went ahead and did my 2nd build's receiver before even trying to screw, and i'm glad i did, was able to bring out a lot of shavings.

on a slightly different note though, I was installing the forward breakdown pin w/ spring and detent; I did get them in, but not before launching them into the air and searching my living room for 5 minutes.

Just for future reference is there a "good" way to complete this step?  I put the spring in, put detent on top, held down with razor blade, then slid takedown pin on top.  only took me 2 tries but hindsight would like to avoid scouring the floor for little springs and pins.

thanks a bunch

View Quote

stick everything inside of a garbage bag and work on it from there so if the spring goes flying you dont have to look for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
simple, yet ingenious.   will know for next time.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

thanks a bunch

View Quote

Try this tool for the pivot pin install. http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Pivot-Roll-Install-156243/dp/B00FSVWHHU  I have used one of these on my last two build and it makes it much easier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some lowers don't have the screw hole tapped all the way. A 1/4-28 tap and a shot of WD-40 will fix that.
View Quote
 jon:  Its common and perhaps normal not to tap that hole all the way through.  For most purposes, it only needs to be threaded enough to capture the grip screw.  In your case, it sounds like whoever made the lower receiver didn't tap it deep enough.  

You could either shorten the screw or complete the threading job.  No harm done if the threads go all the way through to the other end of the hole.  Some people like to place a set screw at the upper end of the hole to impinge on the trigger and remove some of the usual take up movement from a GI trigger. - CW
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

thanks a bunch

View Quote

Ha ha, I've been on my hands and knees looking for those too.  There's still one floating around my garage somewhere.  That one delayed a build until a new one arrived by mail.
There are a variety of good solutions on Youtube for this.  As someone else just said, I've used a garbage bag technique too.  Now I just put the spring in and use the side of the pivot pin to push in the detent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Try this tool for the pivot pin install. http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Pivot-Roll-Install-156243/dp/B00FSVWHHU  I have used one of these on my last two build and it makes it much easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks a bunch

Or spend $1.57 and get a 1/4" x 2" clevis pin.  Stick the pin through the front lugs with the head at the (shooter's) left, line up one hole with the detent bore, then drop the spring in.  Now place the detent in the hole in the pin, and use a punch to push it all the way in.  Once the detent is all the way through the clevis pin, turn it 90º (use the punch as a lever) and remove the punch.  Now use your pivot pin (groove facing the detent) to push the clevis pin out, capturing the detent as the pivot pin pushes the clevis pin.

This is essentially the same as using either the "locally fabricated" tool in the TM, or the Wheeler tool, but costs less.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

One like this?  

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0326669

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#22]
It sucks about your lower, but what did you think they meant by "stripped lower"??

When you have to deal with shipping, FFL fees, and paperwork; I don't mess around with the super budget stuff just to avoid this, especially for lowers. Spikes are cheaper these days, like $40 more than what you paid probably...

PSA -SHOULD- pay for shipping both ways to make it right. I don't know if they will. It's part of their corner cutting.

They'd probably say something awesome like "well why did you accept the transfer then?" LOL
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One like this?  

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0326669

Would this work? IF it will I need to add a couple to my tool box lol.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

thanks a bunch

View Quote

As crazy as it sounds, one guys idea was not bad. He puts masking tape over the shower drain and closes the door behind him. Anyone that says they have never launched a detent is damn lucky. Its usually the first build and after that you take your time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
easiest way to keep that spring in place is to just be careful and deliberate in every motion.

as far as tapping the grip screw hole, you can't ever go wrong with a tap/die set, they've saved my bones many times on builds.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0326669     this would be the correct size to chase the pistol grip screw/bolt hole?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Second the clevis pin suggestion, it works well but I still do it in a grocery sack as sometimes that detent gets away.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0326669     this would be the correct size to chase the pistol grip screw/bolt hole?
View Quote

That should work fine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As crazy as it sounds, one guys idea was not bad. He puts masking tape over the shower drain and closes the door behind him.
View Quote

Haha....awesome trick. I could see the look on my wife's face if she walked into the bathroom & saw me in the shower
with rifle parts. (He's gone into the twilight zone....)
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That should work fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That should work fine.

Awesome, thank you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
When I put my lowers together, I did not have the proper size clevis pin in my stash of hardware.  I made my own, substituting a short piece of 1/4 inch dowel rod that i had laying around.  I drilled a cross hole in it and used it just like the clevis pin.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It sucks about your lower, but what did you think they meant by "stripped lower"??

When you have to deal with shipping, FFL fees, and paperwork; I don't mess around with the super budget stuff just to avoid this, especially for lowers. Spikes are cheaper these days, like $40 more than what you paid probably...

PSA -SHOULD- pay for shipping both ways to make it right. I don't know if they will. It's part of their corner cutting.

They'd probably say something awesome like "well why did you accept the transfer then?" LOL
View Quote

haha... touche sir!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

*I have never done this, but it could work if things go really bad*
View Quote

The correct solution would be to use a helicoil.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top