Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 8:51:01 AM EDT
Hey guys,

My dad is looking to replace the default handguards that he got with his PSA 16 inch upper a few months ago. He doesn't want to spend more than $160. This upper did come with a front sight post. He currently runs a budget Bushnell Dot on it. I think he has it co-witnessed or at least would like to do so. Basically he needs a handguard set that preferably incorporates the existing front sight post. However, if a good deal or product is out there, he's not opposed to removing the front sight post as he already has a Magpul FBUS. I don't think he really cares about Key Mod vs MLock vs Standard (since from my understanding everything is going to be backwards compatible and I don't see him running a huge lights and laser side setup), so it doesn't have to be a deciding factor, I just figure standard or Keymod will be best.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I think the UTG Pro super slim series are really tough to beat.  They look good, feel good, are tough and are a quality, US made product at a very reasonable price point.  I like the look of the 13" or 15" versions on 16" guns.  This is the 15" on one of mine, a PSA "Freedom" stainless upper:

They can be had for just over a C-note:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-PRO-MTU019SS-Model-4-15-Rifle-15-Super-Slim-Free-Float-Handguard-/281639148338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4193005b32

The MI units are very nice, too, but are very close to the $200 mark.  I have the MI SSK15" on my .308 AR
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Basically he needs a handguard set that preferably incorporates the EXISTING front sight post.
View Quote

Just to clarify, he doesn't want to remove/replace/shave down/alter the front sight in any way?
In that case his best bet is one of those 2-piece drop-in rails, they sell them anywhere from amazon to your local gander mountain/cabela/dunham/whatever for about 20-25 bucks.
I have one on my PSA 16in carbine, works great, fits great. One end goes into the delta ring, the other end into the fsb ring, simple drop in, lower and upper halves held together with allen bolts. No alterations to the gun whatsoever.

Now, if he wants a free-float, then the fsb has to be modified. As in, shaved down to becoming just the gas block. After that, the world is his oyster. Dozens of hand guards out there, from basic quad rails for 50 bucks, to fancy super light keymod/mlok/whatever for hundreds of dollars.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
However, if a good deal or product is out there, he's not opposed to removing the front sight post as he already has a Magpul FBUS.
View Quote

I do not recommend "removing" the front sight (as in, replacing it with an aftermarket gas block). NOTHING will fit the stock barrel better than the gas block/sight that came with it. If he is not opposed to shaving it down to just the gas block, you're GTG. If he wants to preserve the original sight, he would be better off spending an extra 150 or so on a new barrel with a lo-pro gas block.In which case this is becoming an expense much greater than his 160 dollar limit.

Another note, should he decide to go with a different barrel - those UTG Pro hand guards that everyone here loves so much are great in every way, except one: The barrel nut WILL NOT CLEAR a bull barrel. I've learned that the hard way. So, if he decides to buy a bull barrel, he'd need something other than UTG Pro. Regular profile barrel, he'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Strike Industries all the way!

-light weight
-heat disapating fins
-keymod on 7 sides
-super slim
-great price

They treat me right. Their CS is amazing
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do not recommend "removing" the front sight (as in, replacing it with an aftermarket gas block). NOTHING will fit the stock barrel better than the gas block/sight that came with it. If he is not opposed to shaving it down to just the gas block, you're GTG. If he wants to preserve the original sight, he would be better off spending an extra 150 or so on a new barrel with a lo-pro gas block.In which case this is becoming an expense much greater than his 160 dollar limit.

Another note, should he decide to go with a different barrel - those UTG Pro hand guards that everyone here loves so much are great in every way, except one: The barrel nut WILL NOT CLEAR a bull barrel. I've learned that the hard way. So, if he decides to buy a bull barrel, he'd need something other than UTG Pro. Regular profile barrel, he'll be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, if a good deal or product is out there, he's not opposed to removing the front sight post as he already has a Magpul FBUS.

People remove FSB all time and do not have any issues! Shaking my head
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top