User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/31/2015 8:21:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15]
Let me start by saying I'm no machinist, but I bought my LMS Mini Mill last year.  Been learning from my mistakes ever since.

I've built a few 80%'ers and walking others through the same.  Made a few jigs and other various tools.  After seeing some recent posts by those that obviously have a better idea what they are doing, and probably MUCH better equipment.  Then I figured what the hell....

First hole
Attachment Attached File

First side done
Attachment Attached File

Small mills require crazy setups
Attachment Attached File

Trimming lots of fat
Attachment Attached File

Fitting the magwell
Attachment Attached File

Waiting on delivery of the tap for the receiver extension.  Then a little Cerakoat and she's ready to rock.

ETA:
Going back and reloading pics.  GD PHuckitBuckit
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Well done.

You are a much better amateur than our president.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like your lower vice block.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dennis2313:
I like your lower vice block.
View Quote

Ha, yeah well that was for "fitting" the magwell.  A very long and tedious process.  Must have taken mags in and out 200 times between light passes with the file.   It was easier to see where it was catching when I could lightly hold the lower with both hands an slide it on and off the mag.  Then once it fit just right, well I had to sit back and marvel long enough for a celebratory pic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#4]
I've done some cerakoting and some etching, not sure where this one is gonna go, but it needs to be something to do with ZERO.

Although, this is quickly becoming a "classic"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:16:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtysixdeuce] [#6]
Good work!

Raw forgings are a pain in the ass because there's pretty much not a single square surface on them.  Without fixtures and jigs, getting the first cuts right is tough.  I'd personally rather start with a chunk of billet.

BTW, I'm sure you're aware, but be certain to center the RE housing under your quill, and use the quill to guide the tap.  If you don't, it's very easy to thread it crooked-especially as the tap is coming through the front and only making contact on one side.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the tap and finished it this morning.  No problem running a full mag.  Gonna have to decide on a roll mark and some cerakoat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I still haven't picked a roll mark.  Too many other projects going.  A couple for others and a few of my own.  Ordered a few 80% AR-10 receivers.  Still looking for decent 1911 frames.  I have the rest of the parts, but haven't justified the coin for an 80% 10/22.  

I did put a bit of time into tramming and adjusting the mill with some new supports, new vise and holder for my DRO's.  I'll have to get some pics and post em up.  Again, too much other stuff going on...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Way to go! That is some fantastic work you did. I don't have the balls to trust myself to do any type of skilled machinery like you have!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
In for more pics!  What vise did you go with?  Did you find that LMS 3" vise inadequate?

I just added DROs to my mini mill.  Seems almost impossible to do any accurate work without them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks good, nice work!  I'm with sixty, castings/forgings suck I'd rather do billet
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
nice dude!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gordo81:
Looks good, nice work!  I'm with sixty, castings/forgings suck I'd rather do billet
View Quote

Agreed, it was just one of a few in the bucket list.  Had to be done.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
very nice. I still have 4 0%s sitting at the mag cutout step. I got sidelined with other stuff and can't seem to snap myself back into them just yet.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BroadSideOfADime:
In for more pics!  What vise did you go with?  Did you find that LMS 3" vise inadequate?

I just added DROs to my mini mill.  Seems almost impossible to do any accurate work without them.
View Quote

Mostly the depth, or jaw height, I'd looked at getting some taller jaws but there were a few times I had to take the jasw off to fit something too big, the vise doesn't open very farther either, ~ 4".  The new one is 5" and opens a lot more.  Much more ridged.  I had a 25% off and free shipping.  I think it was $95 or so.  About same vise other suggest from ebay, Shars I believe.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#17]
More on the mill....

Front shot of the mill as is:
Attachment Attached File

DRO Mounts and line chains

Switch box:  Seems silly, but the boxes are cheap, I had the switches and outlets, each switch has it's own outlet.  All of the connections are contained. And it works.  The panel is 10ga steel, a couple magnets hold any diagrams I'm using.  Right next to the DROs makes it  convenient.  Mostly, it works for me.  
Attachment Attached File

Column Brace:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool, thanks for the pics!  I like your air / vac setup.  

I have seen lots of people (who have the tilting column) doing the column bracing mod.  However, I have the solid column version.  

I wonder if the column reinforcement would be necessary.  At the very least, it should make tramming easier.

Is there a way to determine how column flexing is affecting the work?  Did you notice an excessive amount?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#19]
Oh it still flexes.  With it running, cutting something you don't hold dear and not your favorite EM, stand to one side or the other and push on the top of the head.  In front of it you can pull or push, it will most certainly flex and cut different.  Granted this is exaggerated but the same concept as when you are driving the work into the EM.  The end mill itself will flex some and the column will flex, deflecting from the true path you intended.  While it may not be much, eliminating whatever you can is to your advantage.  

All in all, I did it mostly to help with tramming, but the flex is noticeably less.  

I do all the "hogging" I can with rougher EMs which can cut pretty fast but it also puts a lot of stress on the column.  I haven't done any major milling since the column mod, but tramming was much easier and I got it a lot better than it ever was prior.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW, I think the vac system is from Peachtree, an Amazon vendor. ~$40. I'm mobile now, bit I'll find a link if somebody doesn't beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice job!  I have a couple of 0% that I need to get done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
if you do any more 'in the white' receivers, you can anodize them at home. You'll need a car battery charger, lye, battery acid (you can usually get it from an auto parts store), distilled water, a couple lead or aluminum plates (they don't have to be very thick) and a decent plastic tub.

Remember, ALWAYS add acid to water, not the other way around. Also, you need to clean the part very well (that's what the lye is for).

Lastly, you'll want some clothing dye.

I wouldn't do this indoors since you don't want to breathe sulfuric acid fumes.

Here's a simple tutorial for home anodizing. It does work very well too.

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/homealuminumanodizing.htm
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice work, looks very nice.

A tip if you're interested... rough drill more holes with a smaller diameter drill.
Get as close as you can into the corners, quicker and easier on your equipment than milling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#24]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Nice work, looks very nice.

A tip if you're interested... rough drill more holes with a smaller diameter drill.
Get as close as you can into the corners, quicker and easier on your equipment than milling.
View Quote
I normally predrill quite a bit.  On the mag well, I just followed the script.  it worked out well.  I wish I had broaching ability, Filing that much SUCKS !!!  But I suppose the blood and sweat add a little more to it.

More Mill Mill Updates !

Milled some hold downs for the new vise.  Simple but effective.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like you did a nice job. I've done a couple from a billet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#26]
More playing with electro etching...

This one was a gift.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]
The weather in OH has been too nice to stand inside for hours on end, but I happened across Tactical Machining when 1911 80%'ers were in stock!  Looks like I have yet another project in the hopper.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]
And more work to do.  Scored some 10/22 parts to build up a razor 80% and an AR-10 80%'er.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
With the electro etching, are you using the laser printer for templates, or are you having vinyl patterns cut?
Using salt water and a battery charger?

The 4H and the arfcom look awesome!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By KeithinSC:
With the electro etching, are you using the laser printer for templates, or are you having vinyl patterns cut?
Using salt water and a battery charger?

The 4H and the arfcom look awesome!
View Quote

Buying or having decals cut.  Outdoor rated vinyl holds up well.  I used Vaderspade's methods tacked at the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#31]
It is not nice it is GREAT. I am envious. Very nice work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
OK, I'm jealous
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:
OK, I'm jealous
View Quote

+1 it makes me wish i had one of those machines, and the time and patience and skill you have
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Aeneas2020:

+1 it makes me wish i had one of those machines, and the time and patience and skill you have
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aeneas2020:
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:
OK, I'm jealous

Time and patience are key.  The faster you go, the more problems you create.  It's not about saving time or money, it's about creating something you can be proud to call your own.  So take your time, enjoy putting in the time, then you can enjoy the fruits of your labor for the rest of time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
I still haven't picked a roll mark.  Too many other projects going.  A couple for others and a few of my own.  Ordered a few 80% AR-10 receivers.  Still looking for decent 1911 frames.  I have the rest of the parts, but haven't justified the coin for an 80% 10/22.  

I did put a bit of time into tramming and adjusting the mill with some new supports, new vise and holder for my DRO's.  I'll have to get some pics and post em up.  Again, too much other stuff going on...
View Quote

Addictive, ain't it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#36]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

Addictive, ain't it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

Addictive, ain't it?

Sure is, I now have a 1911 80% along with more AR-10's.  Loving the added rigidity of the column support.  Now I'm at the next weak point, the under powered motor.  I have also been playing with an arduino driven power feed.  I'll get some pics and or video of that up soon.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:56:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#37]
Consider putting an exaggerated funnel in your magazine well.  I've done them by hand and extended the funnel into the front trigger guard area, as well as far forward on the front of the magwell.

You can also put multiple angles into the funnel, rather than a 45*.

I would also strongly recommend anodizing before you Cerakote, just don't use a color.

The anodizing will act as a case-hardening, and make the part more abrasion and impact resistant, as well as corrosion.

I do a lot of Cerakote, and it will still wear, even on blasted parts that are totally degreased.  It doesn't wear as fast as the paint-based products, but high wear points will see the base material come through.

The most critical areas I'm concerned about are the pin holes for the fire control parts.

Excellent work on this lower BTW.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I read this thread while doing research for my first 80%. Your workmanship is excellent and motivating to those of us who haven't done one before. Hope to see more soon!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Prison87:
I read this thread while doing research for my first 80%. Your workmanship is excellent and motivating to those of us who haven't done one before. Hope to see more soon!
View Quote

I've learned (and keep learning) a lot from this site.  I can only hope  pay back or forward a tiny portion of that knowledge and advice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kjedmondson182] [#41]

Nice

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#42]
Got a few more milled out. Finally did this one!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#43]

AFCarbon15  That looks FANTASTIC !!!

I love the ARFCOM symbol.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#44]
I probably should start a new thread as the the projects vary from the OP, but here's more pics of shop time we'll spent

DPMS pattern AR308

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:34:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#45]
I haven't spent any time setting up for lighting and the footage is raw, rather boring, but it's a process.  Once I get the lighting down, I'll edit together a time-lapse.  Here's part of my Saturday in the shop

ETA:  This obviously isn't a How-To yet.  But don't wear long sleeves around power equipment
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#46]
Tactical Machining 80% AR308 became a pistol!

Without the brake

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
For anyone looking for more 80% milling info 80% Milling Info Thread
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome work. Very nice skill you have acquired. Congrats.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#49]
Slowly tooling up the work shop.  Got all of the insulation done a little before Christmas.  About half of the sheeting is done.  Still need a decent bench and lots of shelving/storage.

The latest addition:
Attachment Attached File

ETA:  I have since added more shelving, drawers, and lots of lights.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Why mill/lathe combo machine rather than separate? My understanding is that they suck really hard at doing both...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top