Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By squashpup:

You have a machine...make one!

My Dad did this when he did a 0%.  He figured it would only have to be hard enough to cut aluminum, so he didn't have to do any hardening to it or mill it out of anything exotic. Just cut the threads to the correct size then milled the fluting into it. Worked just fine!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By squashpup:
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
...Waiting on delivery of the tap for the receiver extension.  Then a little Cerakoat and she's ready to rock.

You have a machine...make one!

My Dad did this when he did a 0%.  He figured it would only have to be hard enough to cut aluminum, so he didn't have to do any hardening to it or mill it out of anything exotic. Just cut the threads to the correct size then milled the fluting into it. Worked just fine!

All of that was prior to having a lathe capable of threading.  Now, for larger holes, I do a lot more threading, internal and external on the lathe than I do tap or die.  Fun playing with sizing and thread engagement.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:48:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#2]
Here's a recent project.  Knock-off of Serbu's GB22  It doesn't qualify as AR-15 or Milling, but it is as "Build it Yourself" as possible.  Fun project, but many would just call it a waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so this one will be done with the mill and lathe.

9mm, stainless

Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
That fcg pocket looks really nice.  I hope my first 80% comes out that good when I try it!  What kind and size end mills should I use for the smoothest cut and correct radius when I cut my fcg out?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I like using 3/8" end mills, though ideally they should be 5/16" or something, but it doesn't really matter as long as the FCG will fit. If you are using carbide end mill you can really crank the speed (more than 6000RPM) to get a smooth cut.

Those carbide end mills designed for aluminum works very well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fpcopo:
That fcg pocket looks really nice.  I hope my first 80% comes out that good when I try it!  What kind and size end mills should I use for the smoothest cut and correct radius when I cut my fcg out?
View Quote
Unless you are following a jig, 7/16 will give you the correct corner rsdius.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#7]
I haven't had much time for shop time, but I have made a few investments in equipment.  A new HF bandsaw and a new bench grinder for a wire wheel and buffing wheel.  

Helped a local ARFcom'er with a cool project too.  Threading the receiver extension on a flatspot lower.  

Lined it all up in the lathe to ensure concentricity.

@sublimeshooter 's Build Link
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for celebrating with us.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Been way too long since I've had any time to play in the shop.

This one is a few months old.  Stainless 9mm brake.  Pretty sure that's the first time I ever cut 1/2x36 threads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#10]
Been a slow winter in the shop.  Not much time at all really. This summer I picked up a lot of old tooling.  One of the pieces is an old Brown & Sharpe indexer that is missing a few pieces.  I'm attempting to build those pieces now.

Gotta start somewhere.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lazy man's keyway.  Split the difference, drill and tap a hole.  Screw is the key.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Still have to bore for the worm drive, FAB a indexing plate, handle and lock.  
But I'm getting there.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#12]
Brown & Sharpe #249.  I can't find anything on the ol girl anywhere.

As I found her
Attachment Attached File

After many hours of boring and threading, testing and fitting
Attachment Attached File

Some of this stuff just eats days worth of time.   Progress is progress.  She's finally coming together
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally got her finished!  The stops for the indexing plate, I'm sure they have a name, were not easy to design.  They look simple now, but it took me a while to work it all out.  They are aluminum as to not wear anything important, sacrificial if yiu will, with a stainless toggle type lock.   They now ride around the out side of the thrust bearings.
The lock does a 1/4 twist to drop the pin.  And is in a slot for additional rows of holes.  So far I only have this one plate with one row of holes, but I have an additional blank plate all done and ready for holes.   3 degrees per turn, so divide 120 by the number of indexes desired and turn that many full turns.  So until I need gears cut or the like, one hole in the dividing plate will do for most stuff I need.  
I can't express enough how excited I am to get the ol piece from the 40's or 50's back into working order.  First project will probably be a muzzle brake, but I need to machine a suomi reunion and this should do the trick quite nicely!

Dividers roughed out
Attachment Attached File

Dividers done with the locking toggle and close up of the new locking pin
Attachment Attached File

I know, the handles don't look lime they belong together.  Function>Form.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#14]
I can't lie and say it took a lot of time, but adding in all of parts deal hunting, it consumed a lot of attention too.

It didn't require and hi-tech tools, but I kinda like it so far.  Really need to find a deal on an RMR now.

Polymer 80%, 100% non-Glock Glock.
Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Got the RMR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't lie and say it took a lot of time, but adding in all of parts deal hunting, it consumed a lot of attention too.

It didn't require and hi-tech tools, but I kinda like it so far.  Really need to find a deal on an RMR now.

Polymer 80%, 100% non-Glock Glock.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/19691-486864.JPG
View Quote
That looks nice..

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Mini-mill power feed from a Baldor gear motor I acquired.  Although it took several weeks and no progress pics until now, It is workin!  Still have to wire up the limit switches and maybe fine tune the engagement a little.  Even without CNC, standing back watching power feed run is nice!

Disengaged for manual machining
Attachment Attached File

Engaged
Attachment Attached File

Square drive, for spark plug socket, gear motor and mount
Attachment Attached File

Unit ready to mount
Attachment Attached File

I don't have any pics from the top or video of it in action.  I get in the groove and forget to take pics.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#17]
Made use of the power feed squaring up a saw cut drop in prep of making a lathe dog for pistol barrels.  Needed to turn a pistol barrel on centers, had to make a mandrel for the chamber, no dead center I had available was small enough nor was the breach symmetric.  "Turned" out great.  It's amazing the finish difference when the motor feeds vs your hand crankin'

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also got the relays for the limit switches on the power feed.  
Attachment Attached File

I refuse to buy Chi com gun parts, but I wouldn't have the electronics I do nor the ability to make them work for me as much as I do with out their prices.  Arduino type electronics are ridiculously low prices.  So low, I can't find an excuse not to learn with them.  And the possibilities are endless.  Who am I kidding, it's a Chinese mill too.  Dammit.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
So I get to shoot this in two weeks? Shameless bump for grub and gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#19]
@sublimeshooter

I haven't even thought about what I'm bringing.  The 0%'er could certainly make the trip.

Are you bringing the fallout build again?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, it'll make the trip out. I enjoy see'ing peoples reaction of it. lol
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#21]
Don't remember where I posted this before, but my buddy's 10 year old kid, who thinks I'm his uncle, managed to mill his own lower without me doing anything but verbal instructions.  He even assembled the lower himself.  Milling and assembly all in under 3 hours.  I think that's pretty good for a 10 year old.  

Attachment Attached File

Obviously he thinks I'm the coolest uncle ever!

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_Miller] [#22]
Very nice roll marks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome post OP!

How does your deicated mill compare to the mill on the 3in1? Mostly in terms of rigidness and limitations.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#24]
The multi-machine's mill sucks. It would be better than trying to use a drill press as a mill. It has more power than my mini mill and more range of travel. But you have to lock everything down tight to compensate for the backlash everywhere.  Which limits your abilities and greatly increases machine time.  I used to think backlash was only an issue with counting turns, but tooling will attempt to walk around within your backlash if the machine's mass can't compensate enough.  I end up having to tighten the gibbs so much I might as well lock them down. Otherwise, tooling walking around leads to chatter, chatter leads to poor finish in the best case and usually broken or chipped tooling, but in the worst cases it trashes your work.

I'm glad I bought it for the deal it was, but I would highly advise against purchasing new.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Fixed a few links, re linked some of the fuckery from photobucket. And saving from the archives.  I think I'm all caught up with PM and email questions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally got some time to play with my new rotary table.  If I had a bigger piece of scrap laying around, this could have been another 0%'er!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Very nice.  I thought the mag well would be the hardest part to do correctly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on the Lyndon lower.  Add an AR57 upper and a $30 Vism thumbhole and you're in business.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Congrats on the Lyndon lower.  Add an AR57 upper and a $30 Vism thumbhole and you're in business.
View Quote
I think I'm gonna make a couple more with more intent toward making them "fully" functional in some odd fashion.  Thinking a single shot built into an upside down mag block.  One that could work on one of these partial receivers or in a complete lower.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Or use em as a trigger jig on a semi-STEN.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Or use em as a trigger jig on a semi-STEN.
View Quote
All in due time.  One of the many projects I have laying around in boxes is a Suomi.  I should buy a Sten kit (or 3) while they are still around.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:27:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#34]
Spent way too much time making something simple.  But I'm satisfied with the results and will have them ready when a project pops up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Boy, that is going to be really nice to work with once it is all set up, I would love to set one up for my mill, it would open up the possibilities so much.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Fixed a few links, only mention it to save from the archives.  More to follow...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#38]
A quick project to fix up somebody else's mess.

1890 Win 22WRF
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow great job!  You are a better machinist than most machinists.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice job, I was hoping we would eventually see someone doing knurling..

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Ha, yeah well that was for "fitting" the magwell.  A very long and tedious process.  Must have taken mags in and out 200 times between light passes with the file.   It was easier to see where it was catching when I could lightly hold the lower with both hands an slide it on and off the mag.  Then once it fit just right, well I had to sit back and marvel long enough for a celebratory pic.
View Quote
If you decide to do another one, use Prussian Blue to find the high spots.  It make fitting so much easier as to can see exactly where it hits.

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I had hi spot / dykem.  But trying to get close as quick as possible, I just chewed away, then tried inserting the mag.  Pretty sure I was watching some garbage on TV and drinking beer the whole time.

I can't see ever doing another from a raw forging.  Maybe from a billet, maybe.  When its $35 for a decent 80%'er, I can't justify the other 50 hours of manual machining and setup.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Never say never...

You might find yourself making something of your own imagination.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
Never say never...

You might find yourself making something of your own imagination.
View Quote
I thought about that while typing, hence the billet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#45]
did we address whether you have kids?  i want to get into it, but the kid factor is perpetually hamstringing me...  not complaining per se, having a blast, but its real hard to start and stop with the lil lemmings trying to do the dumbest things possible, hahaha

great work btw!! real ineresting
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#46]
No kids myself, but the SO has a couple.  They are teenagers, so they prefer their social lives 90% of the time.  That said, I spend very little time in the shop outside of Ohio winters.  

I have the majority of my equipment in my dads garage.  So it's not all alone time, I get to BS'ing with him most days.  

But again, it's an evolution for me.  Time, experience, capabilities and tooling all progressing and compounding.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Had a need for a sight I couldn't find.  Figured I'd take it as an opportunity to see what I could do.  Pretty simple requirement, but lots of options for setups. I think it turned out pretty nice.  Nearly too good for the beat up 100'ish year old Steven's recipient.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#50]
Much like launching pivot pin detents and springs, those who have tapped the rear takedown detent know the struggles with pushing in the spring with the tiny set screw.  This sets on the back of the receiver, located on the RE and anti-rotation holes.
It will help keep the tap aligned, and then keep the spring, screw and tiny Allen wrench all aligned during assembly.  Required, certainly not.  Am I glad I spent the time to do it, hell yeah!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top