Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 11:37:41 AM EDT
The question is, is a gas block just a gas block? With the amount of different gas blocks on the market, someone like me who is getting into his first build can become quite confused. I know I need a low profile gas block to fit under my ATI free float handguards. But which one? Adjustable or not? Are all gas blocks created equally? Any recommendations?

I will be reloading my own ammo and using the rife for target shooting and plinking.

CW
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously they range in quality, but generally the cheaper ones work just fine.  I've run $8 ebay specials and $40 Troy blocks, and haven't had a problem with any of them to date.  But you are more likely to have poor fit issues with cheaper blocks, especially if also using a cheaper barrel.

As for adjustables, unless you're running a suppressor or using ultra light weight BCG and buffer, there is no reason to spend the coin for one of those.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make sure you get a clamp on as opposed to a set screw. The set screw ones will come loose eventually.

If you want an adjustable one, get the clamp on click detent from Seekins
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you Rocksett a set screw gas block, it shouldn't come loose. Esp if the barrel is dimpled.

I have a Troy low pro gb with set screws and its g2g.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
some are designed to cover up where the fsb taper pins were removed in a rebuild
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had a set screw GB come loose .... BCM uses set screw GB on there railed uppers (not pinned).... Good enough for me

Pinning is obviously the most bomb proof method but I've heard/read claims that it can mess with barrel harmonics

Regardless any known brand should be g2g
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
i use steel only, but that's just me.  i dont want to risk it.  i have 2 troys and a YHM.  paid around $20 for all them, just look out for the deals.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just make sure you get a clamp on as opposed to a set screw. The set screw ones will come loose eventually.

View Quote
Since this is a tech forum, I will limit my response to "it is irresponsible to spread misinformation in a tech forum"

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
On the set screw type, I put a little clear nail polish on the threads. No problems yet, g2g.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I did actually have a set screw gas block come loose and slide forward just a couple of weeks ago. When I checked it out the rearmost screw had backed almost completely out, the front was still tight but since I didn't dimple the barrel, it didn't keep the block in place. I used blue loctite on the threads, I'm goin to switch to red from now on.

So yes it can happen, if you don't use the right thread locker and dimple for both screws.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]
you can't really blame that on the GB though. You didn't dimple the barrel, which is recommended by almost every manufacturer. You could also put witness marks on the set screws for a visual indicator that they're coming or have come lose. That's what I did and it only takes a quick glance when I'm inspecting the rifle before/after shooting. I've had zero issues with my set-screw GB.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
you can't really blame that on the GB though.
View Quote

Never did, I attributed it completely to not taking enough steps to prevent it.

What I'm getting at here is set screw type has blocks are not fool proof. However they work just fine if you take the necessary steps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This statement is about as wrong as wrong statements can be.

A properly installed set screw block will never come loose vs a clamp on that can be spun with relative ease.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What I'm getting at here is set screw type has blocks are not fool proof. However they work just fine if you take the necessary steps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you can't really blame that on the GB though.

use rocksett, not loctite. red loctite only goes to 450f, rocksett is rated for over 2000f, and is what KAC recommends for a set screw gas block.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I have set screw gas blocks on full auto guns that are set with blue Loctite, I dimpled the barrels and then torqued them down. The have been thru thousands of rounds with zero issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On the set screw type, I put a little clear nail polish on the threads. No problems yet, g2g.
View Quote

Most say use rocksett, but I haven't had any issues using red Loctite. I dimple my barrels. I put about 200 rounds through the gun after the build is done to function check, then I degrease set screws, red Loctite, torque like hell, and I stake the gas block screws. I have yet to have any issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Their are multiple ways to ensure a set screw gas block does not come loose.  

First off, many of them use screws with small teeth that cut into the barrel and help prevent the screws from backing out.

A common method to prevent the screws from backing out is Rockset.  Many people get by with red loctite, but rockset is more heat resistant.

Another less common method that works is staking the screws in place.  Similar to the method gas keys are staked the metal of the gas block can be deformed to prevent the screws from backing out.

I always reccomend dimpling the barrel to ensure the gas block doesn't rotate.

Some guys like to go all out and pin the gas block, obviously it works very well.

I have one caveat for cheap gas blocks, I would avoid any of the low profile Aluminum gas blocks as they have more trouble with heat and sometimes the gas port burns a hole through the side of them, leaving you with a bolt action.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all for your replies. I plan on using a BCM M4 SOCOM barrel, so perhaps I will look at the BCM gas blocks to go with it. Will also do some research on dimpling the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thank you all for your replies. I plan on using a BCM M4 SOCOM barrel, so perhaps I will look at the BCM gas blocks to go with it. Will also do some research on dimpling the barrel.
View Quote

I pretty much run BCM gas blocks on all mine that don't have a FSB. I prefer steel over aluminum because even though aluminum may work fine, it is one less thing to go wrong. BCM stuff is all top notch imo. Also, make sure you get the right port size. Some people use a jig for dimpling or send it off to somewhere like ADCO for the service, I just tighten one set screw and use a hand drill in the second hole, and repeat for the other hole YMMV

ETA: BCM isn't the only one who makes good gas blocks, Troy, JP Enterprises, YHM, Vltor, etc. all make good products. Stick to one that is high quality, has good reviews and is from a top tier manufacturer, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I just put together a very cheap build to help learn just how far corners can be cut. Based on that experience, I do not think the $20 or so you save cheaping out on the gas block is a worthwhile corner to cut. I had some cycling problems that I think a loose gas block fit contributed to. I can't say for sure because I did get the gun working with the cheap block still on it, but next time I'll step up to a Yankee Hill Machine or something similar.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
All of my barrels are dimpled (1) and I use set screw adjustable gas blocks with blue loc-tite and have never had one come loose.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My new Daniel defense barrel came from the factory with a MK12 set screw gas block that has dimples on the barrel
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Get steel not aluminum.

Non-adjustable: Yankee Hill Machining (YHM) makes a very nice STEEL gas block for about $23 – item number YHM-9383. Most venders sell them – Brownells, MidwayUSA, Primary Arms, etc.

Adjustable: go with SLR (http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57).

As for set screw versus clamp-on. I like clamp-on so I do not have to dimple the barrel, but a clamp-on may have handguard clearance issues – case/build dependent decision.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I only use steel GB's and not aluminum and I only use clamp on not set screw.......The best clamp on ones I personally use are the steel RRA ones with the rail on top and It's not that I use the rail it's just that it looks really nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I made a horrible learning experience mistake. I bought a lo pro gas block I think on gunbroker. It was
Essentially a yhm style with set screws and nomarkings on it. As I installed in, and tightened the set screws in, I cracked the block itself around the set screws. Contacted the company i purchase from and had another one a few
Days later. Same issue. Then I learned, to buy a name brand quality gas block. Since then, dozens of builds later, never an issue. And usually send my
Colt upper builds to SAW to have them go through it and do their reliability package.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top