Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2015 10:20:35 PM EDT
Like the title says, I'm having problems getting the roll pin through a low pro gas block and gas tube. I have spring pin (roll pin) starters as well as roll pin drivers. It seems like I am having problems once the pin passes through the gas tube it is hitting the other hole. In other words, the roll pin appears it is not going straight through.

Any insight?

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a punch small enough to fit?  If so, put it all the way through from one side, then start the roll pin from the other side, pushing the punch out as you go.  It will keep things lined up.

Even a nail or a stiff piece of wire would do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They make a specific starter punch for a gas block roll pin. It will be the best money you will spend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They make a specific starter punch for a gas block roll pin. It will be the best money you will spend.
View Quote

This. The Geissele one I have is a miracle worker
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

troof!

I will gladly buy another should mine grow legs and walk off.

Also as said above, a "guide" from the opposite direction will keep in all lined up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch this video on how to solve your problem.
A drill bit could work as a chucking reamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7fXkIR85k
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've successfully used the get a bigger hammer and swing it really hard method. Your results may vary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I had problems with one and took a 5/64" drill bit and ran it through. No more problems.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

As stated in the opening post I have roll pin starters and roll pin punches. Starting and driving are not the problem. The problem is the roll pin hits the shoulder of the hole on the other side.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. Will see how my next project works out.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried inserting a punch of about the same size through it to see if it lines up?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried inserting a punch of about the same size through it to see if it lines up?
View Quote

I don't have the exact size punch. Inspection it, everything appears to line up. I am thinking alignment chamges one the roll pin is started. There seems to be some sort of twist to the gas tube once the roll pin gets started.

I will have to take some photos on my next assembly.

jonblack

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top