Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I will be investing in a Daniel Defense 10.3 inch upper receiver composed of the following:
1. A4 Upper Receiver (Black)
2. 10.3 inch Government Profile, 1.7 Twist, LPG
3. Superior Suppression Device, not pinned
4. Bolt Carrier Group, Chrome Plated
5. MK18 Rail Interface System II (RIS II), Black

Now the question is, should I purchase the lower receiver in a complete setup or should I purchase the lower receiver disassembled, and assemble it myself. If I get the not assembled lower receiver, should I take it to the gun smith for them to do it for me? I am looking to get a high quality lower receiver and I would like to know any recommendations for which brands to chose from. Also, going to disassembled way, what recommendations would you give for the parts as I would like to have high quality parts.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It's really person preference if you build or buy a lower. Building it is extremely easy and you can put exactly what you want on it.

I assume you already have plans for the tax stamp and engraving your lower receiver before you put that upper on it
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume you already have plans for the tax stamp and engraving your lower receiver before you put that upper on it
View Quote

If you buy a stripped lower and build it yourself, you can build it as a pistol first, and than add the shoulder stock after getting the tax stamp. That eliminates any question of constructive possession, and allows you to legally shoot the thing while waiting for the paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
actually you can do it either way.
buying complete, remove the stock assemble the pistol.
then register and put the stock back on.
a complete lower doesn't make it a rifle.

and "premium" lower doesn't really mean anything.
it is the trigger and hammer you care about. which are both easily replacable.

you can't build a lower with tools cheaper then psa when they have a sale.
getting a better trigger group and dropping it in just takes a punch and you are done.
it is unlikely you would save anything building it yourself. though the only ar specific tool you need is the stock wrench to put a lower together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the information!

Would you be able to recommend good brands for lower receivers? I was looking at Noveske but I would like to purchase a complete lower that is very good quality, or one that would match Daniel Defense quality. Possibly one that has a Geissele trigger.

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the information!

Would you be able to recommend good brands for lower receivers? I was looking at Noveske but I would like to purchase a complete lower that is very good quality, or one that would match Daniel Defense quality. Possibly one that has a Geissele trigger.

Thanks in advance,
View Quote

pick what lower you like. i have used stag, spikes, mega, aero, and anderson. to me they are all the same and the only difference is the roll marks
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't pay more than $140 to $150 for the complete lower half of the rifle you might as well buy it assembled. If you can't find it for that price you save money building the lower half yourself.

As long as the lower receiver is forged aluminum the brand on it does not matter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you think about a FS Rainier Arms lower? I hear good things about the company and their quality but I wanted to see what y'all would say.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

I will be investing in a Daniel Defense 10.3 inch upper receiver composed of the following:
1. A4 Upper Receiver (Black)
2. 10.3 inch Government Profile, 1.7 Twist, LPG
3. Superior Suppression Device, not pinned
4. Bolt Carrier Group, Chrome Plated
5. MK18 Rail Interface System II (RIS II), Black

Now the question is, should I purchase the lower receiver in a complete setup or should I purchase the lower receiver disassembled, and assemble it myself. If I get the not assembled lower receiver, should I take it to the gun smith for them to do it for me? I am looking to get a high quality lower receiver and I would like to know any recommendations for which brands to chose from. Also, going to disassembled way, what recommendations would you give for the parts as I would like to have high quality parts.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

If you are not interested in assembling your own lower, use the gunsmith services at Rainier Arms, ADCO (or similar) using your hand-picked parts.
I would use a lower from the same manufacturer as the upper, although this is not necessary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the DPMS lower parts kit a good kit to purchase or would you recommend a different brand? Also is Battle Arms Development - Ambidextrous Safety Selector (BAD-ASS) good quality or would you recommend a different brand?

Thanks,
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top