Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:14:25 AM EDT
Hi Folks,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've done as much research as I can, but I have a question that might be more personal opinion than fact. I respect the information and opinions this community holds though, so I figure it can't hurt to ask.

I picked up a DPMS AR-15 lower a while back, and I've finally got time to build up my first little black rifle. As the title suggests, I'm looking to make myself a deer gun (white tails), with a few qualifications.

Since I have to stick with calibers that will fit in a 5.56/.223 mag well, I'm waffling between shooting heavy .223 or 6.8 SPC. I want to be able to practice with the rifle, and putting shots where they count seems more important to me than raw stopping power. I know there's a lot of debate out there about the ethics of taking deer with .223 and 6.8 carries more power even from a shorter barrel. I also want to have plenty of choices in ammo and availability.

My plan is to buy a good barrel. Not use a freefloat handguard to keep the budget down. Use a fixed stock. Take creep out of the trigger with a trigger adjuster rather than buy a match trigger or something like that. Then top it off with a quality, fixed optic.

tl;dr I'm leaning heavy .223 for taking deer, but I've seen strong arguments for 6.8 SPC. Build opinions?

Thanks in advance,
First time Okie
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend 300 Blackout rather than 6.8SPC. 300BLK only requires a different barrel; everything else is the same as 223/556. 6.8SPC requires a different bolt and magazines, and ammo is harder to find.

300BLK supersonic loads are ballistically almost identical to 30-30 Winchester, which has killed more deer than any other cartridge. It's extremely effective on deer and hogs. With 300BLK, you also have the option for using subsonic loads with a can if you like quiet shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
6.8 is the way to go.   more energy flatter trajectory.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What state are you in?  Make sure they don't specific a certain minimum cal for deer - many will just require "centerfire" rifle ammo / expanding loads but if I'm not mistaken some states state "At least 0.23"

Even if that was the case for you the suggestion of 6.8 would be fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I just googled it and here is a quick list as of about a year ago:

From google: Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Washington, and West Virginia require larger bullets to be used to hunt game.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What state are you in? Make sure they don't specific a certain minimum cal for deer
View Quote

Oklahoma specifies "Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1.25 inches or longer"

If I go with .223, then I would shoot something like 74gr. .223, 6.8 SPC, and 300 BLK all pass the minimum cartridge case length.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend 300 Blackout rather than 6.8SPC. 300BLK only requires a different barrel; everything else is the same as 223/556. 6.8SPC requires a different bolt and magazines, and ammo is harder to find.

300BLK supersonic loads are ballistically almost identical to 30-30 Winchester, which has killed more deer than any other cartridge. It's extremely effective on deer and hogs. With 300BLK, you also have the option for using subsonic loads with a can if you like quiet shooting.
View Quote

From what I understand the real advantages of 300BLK comes when you have a SBR and a can. Other than that, it's just the fact that you can swap the barrel and nothing else. Since I'm going to be building from the ground up, is there really a pro to 300BLK over 6.8 SPC if I want a bigger round?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
.223 for whitetail deer, nope wouldn't do it, not enough ass behind the round but hey that’s my opinion. 30-30 lever action Marlin(older version) or Winchester would be a much better choice for hunting white tail deer, but IF you must have an AR variant I would go with .308/AR10.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not a .277 wolverine? Uses everything a normal AR15 uses except the barrel. It will sling 100gr bullets at appx. 2700-2800 fps.

http://www.maddogweapons.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From what I understand the real advantages of 300BLK comes when you have a SBR and a can. Other than that, it's just the fact that you can swap the barrel and nothing else. Since I'm going to be building from the ground up, is there really a pro to 300BLK over 6.8 SPC if I want a bigger round?
View Quote

300BLK ammo is a lot easier to find than 6.8SPC. Some Walmarts carry 300BLK, can't say that about 6.8. There's also a much bigger variety of 300BLK available than 6.8. For example, MidwayUSA carries 17 flavors of 6.8, but 33 flavors of 300 Blackout/Whisper.

If you reload, you can cut down and resize 223/556 brass to make 300BLK rounds. You can't make 6.8 cases that way; the case head diameter is different. That's why you have to have a different bolt for 6.8.

6.8SPC requires it's own bolt and magazines, in addition to barrel, which means finding spare parts is more difficult.

300BLK launches .308 bullets in the same weight range as 30-30 Winchester at the same velocity. A 150gr bullet going 2000FPS is going to have the same terminal effect, regardless of which platform launched it.

The only advantage you get from 6.8SPC is better long-range performance. If you are going to do most of your shooting at distances >200 yards, 6.8 makes sense. But if you're going to be hunting on woods or brush where most shots will be within 75 yards, 300BLK is close to ideal for deer hunting. One of my friends went deer hunting with his 11-year-old son last fall, and his son got an 11-point buck with 1 round of 300BLK--it dropped the deer in its tracks on the spot.

The ability to shoot silenced subsonics with 300BLK is an added bonus which may or may not be of interest to you. It is addictively fun if you ever try it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.223 for whitetail deer, nope wouldn't do it, not enough ass behind the round but hey that’s my opinion. 30-30 lever action Marlin(older version) or Winchester would be a much better choice for hunting white tail deer, but IF you must have an AR variant I would go with .308/AR10.
View Quote

People kill piles of deer every year with a bow or handgun. Even a 222 will take whitetails with ease if you can make the shot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

300BLK ammo is a lot easier to find than 6.8SPC. Some Walmarts carry 300BLK, can't say that about 6.8. There's also a much bigger variety of 300BLK available than 6.8. For example, MidwayUSA carries 17 flavors of 6.8, but 33 flavors of 300 Blackout/Whisper.

If you reload, you can cut down and resize 223/556 brass to make 300BLK rounds. You can't make 6.8 cases that way; the case head diameter is different. That's why you have to have a different bolt for 6.8.

6.8SPC requires it's own bolt and magazines, in addition to barrel, which means finding spare parts is more difficult.

300BLK launches .308 bullets in the same weight range as 30-30 Winchester at the same velocity. A 150gr bullet going 2000FPS is going to have the same terminal effect, regardless of which platform launched it.

The only advantage you get from 6.8SPC is better long-range performance. If you are going to do most of your shooting at distances >200 yards, 6.8 makes sense. But if you're going to be hunting on woods or brush where most shots will be within 75 yards, 300BLK is close to ideal for deer hunting. One of my friends went deer hunting with his 11-year-old son last fall, and his son got an 11-point buck with 1 round of 300BLK--it dropped the deer in its tracks on the spot.

The ability to shoot silenced subsonics with 300BLK is an added bonus which may or may not be of interest to you. It is addictively fun if you ever try it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.8 shits all over 300blk.

finding bolts and barrels/uppers are extremely easy.
magazines, ASC and PRI are readily available.
6.8 ammo is all over the internet, and if you have a cabelas around they stock it regularly, as well as walmart. i see more 6.8 than 300 at walmarts.

and dropping deer with 1 shot... i can do that with a mini mag.   its all about shot placement. a 6.8 vs 22 for example will drop deer the same as that 300 round.  one isnt going to kill one faster than the other. vital shot 300 vs 6.8, deer wont know the difference. eye or ear shot with a 22lr, dropped the deer the same as any vital shot.  so if you are a good shot, and know the vitals, it will be hung in the garage. no problem.
6.8 likes shorter barrels, designed for CQB-400+ yards. 6.8 is a all day, hands down, better than 300.  if you want to run a can, get 300. if not, get a 6.8
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure why you would say ammo is hard to find, it's every where!  6.8 is a better round and hits harder than 300 blk and a better round for deer hunting in my opinion.  Ammo is NOT hard to find and S&B has plinking ammo for $14.00 and have seen it for $12.00 a  box.  I own a few 6.8's and not spewing BS!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
People kill piles of deer every year with a bow or handgun. Even a 222 will take whitetails with ease if you can make the shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence why i said "hey that’s my opinion", even i would use a bow & a handgun at close ranges sure. 100-200yds on a nice whitetail with a .223, I'll personally pass thanks.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Get one of those 410 shotgun uppers.  410 slugs are where it's at for deer huntin'.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
You must like 300
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
410 slugs are where it's at for deer huntin'.
View Quote

Surely you jest?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I am considering this same situation but not for hunting specifically.  I hunt with my .223 but I only engage an animal I know I can take and 75gr hollow points are lethal as all hell in any vital section.  

I am doing a 6.5 grendel dedicated upper.

What other AR-specific cartridge shoots a streamlined projectile that stays supersonic to 1,200 yards? None even come close. It shoots more bullet weight faster than either the 6.8 SPC or .300 Blackout, and is inherently superbly accurate. It’s the only cartridge that fits in a standard AR-15-size rifle (less the barrel and bolt), while outperforming both the .223/5.56mm and .308/7.62mm—in terms of less wind drift, flatter extreme-range trajectory and more energy.

outside 300 yds, the 6.5 grendel will begin to show its long legs over the 6.8spc, and at that distance the 300blk is not even a strong contender any longer when comparing ballistic capabilities

So if I were building a dedicated upper, which I am, I would pick 6.5 grendel do to its well performance in all classes of shooting.  

The whole ammo thing in my mind is a mute point because if I own a caliper, I stock the ammo and find sources online in bulk.  None of that last minute running to gander mountain hoping they carry what I am looking for.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Not what the OP asked, well I imagine not many 1000yds hunters out there, but badass none the less.  

The 6.5 grendel at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbYlKXPbH0k
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#20]
To keep things simple, use .223.  If you're not comfortable with that get a 7.62x39 upper.  It's plenty for whitetails and the round itself is pretty damn accurate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not what the OP asked, well I imagine not many 1000yds hunters out there, but badass none the less.  

The 6.5 grendel at work.

View Quote

This. 6.8 is dead.
6.5 Grendel has a better BC and is still supersonic at 900yrds. Not that you're gonna shoot that far at a deer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I will be different and just tell the OP to get a 458 Socom. I love mine and it has taken several Indiana whitetail and one Florida hog. I am in the process of building a 6.8 spc though to also deer hunt with. (If Indiana laws change like its purposed)

My father has a 300 BO in a 16In configuration and it isn't really all that good. The 300bo will shine like all have said in a small compact gun with a can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. 6.8 is dead.
6.5 Grendel has a better BC and is still supersonic at 900yrds. Not that you're gonna shoot that far at a deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.5 grendel at work.

This. 6.8 is dead.

I will highly disagree with your statement the 6.8 is dead. Won't go into an arguing match by any means to sidetrack the OP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I will highly disagree with your statement the 6.8 is dead. Won't go into an arguing match by any means to sidetrack the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.5 grendel at work.

This. 6.8 is dead.

Apologies,
6.8 may have a stronger following where you're from. Around here, it's 6.5 or 300blk. Personally if I were to hunt deer on the AR platform it would be 6.5.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Apologies,
6.8 may have a stronger following where you're from. Around here, it's 6.5 or 300blk. Personally if I were to hunt deer on the AR platform it would be 6.5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.5 grendel at work.

This. 6.8 is dead.

Apologies,

Would all depend on range intended to be used imo. The 300 is nice but if your not suppressing it I'd rather go something else, just my opinion. Under 200 yards I like the big heavy stuff (450 bm, 458 socom, or 50 Beowulf) In my locale, I see very little if any 6.5g ammo on shelves but a fairly good amount of 300bo and 6.8. I would say in true arfcom fashion get both or all of them .
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#26]
277 wolverine
6x47
300blk
7.62x39
and maybe a few others I am not thinking about will all do fine with proper bullet selection and shot placement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#27]
70gr TSX, 5.56... dropped in his tracks. Bullet passed through base of the neck, through the heart, and was against the hide right near the diaphragm on his belly. (Deer facing me with head down)

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR10 chassis is too heavy.

Go 6.8
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Go 6.8
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go 6.8

To heavy lol?     My Aero M5 build isn't that heavy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hence why i said "hey that’s my opinion", even i would use a bow & a handgun at close ranges sure. 100-200yds on a nice whitetail with a .223, I'll personally pass thanks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing for sure, a heavier caliber gives you a lot more options. 223 you really have to limit yourself to very good and unobstructed shots. If OP wants a gun with hunting as a priority I'd suggest 6.8 hands down. For a multi purpose gun 5.56 is where it's at as long as you can wait for and make the shot.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

One thing for sure, a heavier caliber gives you a lot more options. 223 you really have to limit yourself to very good and unobstructed shots. If OP wants a gun with hunting as a priority I'd suggest 6.8 hands down. For a multi purpose gun 5.56 is where it's at as long as you can wait for and make the shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 6.8spc is indeed a better option then the .223/5.56, again this is "MY" opinion lol.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Surely you jest?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
410 slugs are where it's at for deer huntin'.

Surely you jest?

Nope, taken two decent bucks with my Winchester 9410 shotgun.  Until last year Ohio was a slug-gun only state and 410 slugs are legal.  I wanted to hunt deer with a lever gun so the 9410 was my choice.  The big three (Rem, Win, Fed) slugs will give you a touch over 700ft-lbs with a 92-110 grain slug.  Killed the first deer with a Remington Slugger.

After that first one I found that I could cut down the 3" inch Brenneke slugs to 2.5 inch (9410 only has a 2.5 inch chamber) and the Brenneke slugs have a 1/2 space that does nothing but take up shell volume.  From my 9410 the 114 gr hard cast modified Brenneke slug does a bit over 2000fps generating over 1000ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

Works well if you can place your shot accurately and keep ranges under about 75 yards.  Spine shot the second deer and the slug went clean through the center of the spine of a 180lbs (live weight) 10-pt buck.  A follow up shot went clean through the chest cavity.

Certainly not the best deer cartridge but if your looking for a challenge it's more than capable if you can find a 410 shotgun that shoots slugs accurately.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
70gr TSX, 5.56... dropped in his tracks. Bullet passed through base of the neck, through the heart, and was against the hide right near the diaphragm on his belly. (Deer facing me with head down)

http://i.imgur.com/ITsNF6z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HEJaIJT.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Since I have to stick with calibers that will fit in a 5.56/.223 mag well, I'm waffling between shooting heavy .223 or 6.8 SPC. I want to be able to practice with the rifle, and putting shots where they count seems more important to me than raw stopping power. I know there's a lot of debate out there about the ethics of taking deer with .223 and 6.8 carries more power even from a shorter barrel. I also want to have plenty of choices in ammo and availability.
View Quote

I'd consider 7.62x39 - ammo is 1/4 the cost of the others, super available and lots of options, and ballistics are close to a 30-30.  I'd also put a RRA LPK w/ NM 2-stage trigger in it ($125 delivered).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#35]

While I'm a fan of the 300 BLK for deer up to 150 yards or so, you might want to take a look at the 25 Sharps - AKA the 25x45.

Sharps Rifle Company

There is factory ammo available.

Making cases from used 223/5.56 is as simple as running it through a reloading die.

It seems to have the ballistics of the old Savage 250/3000 - and that was a great deer round.

You can look on youtube for videos - thay had a bunch from the 2015 SHOT Show.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I built my first in a .300 BLK, then I found the .277 Wolverine. Look in to it and see what you think.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/636402__277_Wolverine.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've done as much research as I can, but I have a question that might be more personal opinion than fact. I respect the information and opinions this community holds though, so I figure it can't hurt to ask.

I picked up a DPMS AR-15 lower a while back, and I've finally got time to build up my first little black rifle. As the title suggests, I'm looking to make myself a deer gun (white tails), with a few qualifications.

My plan is to buy a good barrel. Not use a freefloat handguard to keep the budget down. Use a fixed stock. Take creep out of the trigger with a trigger adjuster rather than buy a match trigger or something like that. Then top it off with a quality, fixed optic.

tl;dr I'm leaning heavy .223 for taking deer, but I've seen strong arguments for 6.8 SPC. Build opinions?

Thanks in advance,
First time Okie
View Quote

You can kill a deer with a .22 LR
I've hunted whitetail, blacktail and muleys.
Would feel much better with 6.8 SPC for a deer cartridge......hell, even Walmart has 6.8 ammo now and the 6.8 ammo deals at Palmetto saw me down at the UPS hub picking some up just today.
That S&B stuff looks good....can't wait to try it out.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm considering a different caliber for my next deer rifle.  As I've got tons of 5.56 brass have considered the following cartridges (I reloaded and cast)

6x45, about the oldest wildcat on the .223 and BH makes factory ammo.
25 Sharps
.277 Wolverine
.300 Blackout

or the 6.8 SPC II as Steve Holland is a good friend and former 5th SFGA member.

Been using the 5.56mm for several seasons and been successful (14.5" bbl, Mk262 77gr OTM) and just built a 20" 5.56 upper.  Just wanting to try something else.

CD

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd consider 7.62x39 - ammo is 1/4 the cost of the others, super available and lots of options, and ballistics are close to a 30-30.  I'd also put a RRA LPK w/ NM 2-stage trigger in it ($125 delivered).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This!

My swamp gun is a 7.62x39 AR...deer, hogs, or gator...nothing walks away from that.  Ammo is dirt cheap, lethal, and more than accurate enough at realistic ranges in woods, brush and swamps.

Its definitely not for long ranges, max effective hunting range would be under 300 yards.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#40]
While personally all of my ARs ar 5.56, I have used 7.62x39 in AKs and SKSs and I have looked at other rounds, I think I would go 7.62x39. Wal-Mart near me has 6.8 for $24 per 20rnds 7.62 is under $6. Even if Russian HPs and SPs don't expand (?) I honestly believe they are still VERY deadly!
Make sure your gun passes the 2 dot test (I think that is what it is called), can you buy ammo in 2 dot montana? 7.62x39? check. 5.56? check. 6.5, 6.8, 300? Not so much.
If I want to shoot a rifle that I have to order ammo for and expensive, I'll go shoot my 8x56R.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#41]
If the price is not a concern 6.5, 277 will give you more range than the others, If price is and 250+ yard shots are out, 7.62x39 or 6.8. and again the right 5.56 will do the job if the state allows.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the price is not a concern 6.5, 277 will give you more range than the others, If price is and 250+ yard shots are out, 7.62x39 or 6.8. and again the right 5.56 will do the job if the state allows.  
View Quote

OP can get a .277 Wolverine SS barrel for $175, or a Melonite barrel for $165.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 6.8SPC & 2x 277WLV.

For 200-250yds the WLV will get the job done. For out to 400Yds with hand loads the 6.8 SPC with a II chamber has you covered. 6.8 S&B is $12.99 a box. It can be had for about $1/rnd at most big chains.

If you don't want to invest in mags & bolt, OP, & will see the range it is effective in, then go WLV
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Works well if you can place your shot accurately and keep ranges under about 75 yards.
View Quote

But a 75 yard limit is one heck of a handicap for a rifle.  The 410 slugs lose velocity as if they are pulling a parachute.  The 45 Colt in a revolver is easily as able, if not moreso.  If all you got is a 410, then fine, but I sure wouldn't purpose build an AR in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While personally all of my ARs ar 5.56, I have used 7.62x39 in AKs and SKSs and I have looked at other rounds, I think I would go 7.62x39. Wal-Mart near me has 6.8 for $24 per 20rnds 7.62 is under $6. Even if Russian HPs and SPs don't expand (?) I honestly believe they are still VERY deadly!
Make sure your gun passes the 2 dot test (I think that is what it is called), can you buy ammo in 2 dot montana? 7.62x39? check. 5.56? check. 6.5, 6.8, 300? Not so much.
If I want to shoot a rifle that I have to order ammo for and expensive, I'll go shoot my 8x56R.
View Quote

There's "blasting ammo" and then there's hunting ammo.
The OP was asking about hunting ammo and specifically 5.56/.223 or 6.8 SPC II.

The latest batch of 6.8 S&B at Palmetto is $11.99.
Not bad at all for hunting ammo.

And no, the local 7-11 won't have it, but most all of the good ammo deals are on line these days anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#46]
First off I think 223/5.56 is marginal for deer.  Even the dog sized deer on this side of the mountain.
Wouldn't even consider 223 for Mule Deer on the other side of the mountain.  YMMV.
For deer I use my 270 bolt gun.

That being said I think Barnes makes a decent 70gr bullet for 223 which is what I'd use for deer.
If 223 is ruled out I'd call AR Performance and order one of their 6.8SPC barrels.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But a 75 yard limit is one heck of a handicap for a rifle.  The 410 slugs lose velocity as if they are pulling a parachute.  The 45 Colt in a revolver is easily as able, if not moreso.  If all you got is a 410, then fine, but I sure wouldn't purpose build an AR in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Works well if you can place your shot accurately and keep ranges under about 75 yards.

Remember I was hunting in state, Ohio, that up until last year was a slug gun and muzzle load state only.  NO rifles!.  I could shoot my 9410 more accurately than my 12 gauge slug gun.  Having taken two deer with the 12 gauge I felt a 12 gauge was a lot of over kill for whitetail.  

But I agree unless you're looking for the specific challenge of hunting them with a 410 slug there are a lot of better choice especially in an AR platform.  I like what I have seen of 7.62x40WT.  Seems like it would make a good AR-15 deer rifle cartridge.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top