Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2015 9:23:48 AM EDT
I can not manage to find a 14.5" barrel that weighs less then faxons 16" pencil barrel.  

I would like to but I don't think it exist.

Faxon 16" pencil: 1.19lbs

Is there a 14.5 that weighs less?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There are couple manufactures that did pencil barrels in the past (Spikes, CMMG, and DD) but there don't appear to be current runs of them.  Some have claimed you can call CMMG and they may be able to get you one.  The other option would be paying to profile down another 14.5" barrel.  The 14.5" Light weights would still weight slighly more than a 16" pencil.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
MAG Tactical Systems has a 16" barrel that is listed at 1.2 lbs on their site.  I have no experience with their barrels, just one of their lowers.  I do know the company is smaller and very personable, which would probably mean they would be willing to work with you.  I would try contacting them to see if they would do a run of 14.5" barrels.  If the price was right, I would be tempted to put a 14.5" on my rifle instead of the 16" I currently have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can not manage to find a 14.5" barrel that weighs less then faxons 16" pencil barrel.  

I would like to but I don't think it exist.

Faxon 16" pencil: 1.19lbs

Is there a 14.5 that weighs less?
View Quote

We have a run of 14.5 pencils in the works. Final weight TBD, but will be right around a single pound.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/441964/voodoo-innovations-barrel-ar-15-pistol-556x45mm-nato-ultra-lightweight-contour-1-in-7-twist-chrome-moly-black-melonite-finish

Shipping weight is listed as 1.545lb, but that includes the weight of the packaging materials. I used one on a build that ended up under 4.75lb unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Voodoo innovations 14.5 ultra lightweight might be less but it's also twice as much which is fine but Faxon's 14.5 is the route I'll be taking for my build
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAG Tactical Systems has a 16" barrel that is listed at 1.2 lbs on their site.  I have no experience with their barrels, just one of their lowers.  I do know the company is smaller and very personable, which would probably mean they would be willing to work with you.  I would try contacting them to see if they would do a run of 14.5" barrels.  If the price was right, I would be tempted to put a 14.5" on my rifle instead of the 16" I currently have.
View Quote

Pretty sure the Mag Tactical's pencil barrels is made by Faxon.  Same exact weight and look of Faxon's 16" pencil.  When I bought mine from Mag, it was $30 cheaper than buying through Faxon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on, throw me a bone, what month will the batch be up?

Gas system and rate of twist....pretty please. ??
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy barrel, send to ADCO, have cut down, have threaded, have FH perm installed and refinish.

Done.

Done well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come on, throw me a bone, what month will the batch be up?

Gas system and rate of twist....pretty please. ??
View Quote

Should be early April.

1/8 twist. Mid gas.

-Nathan
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Any chance you can give me a heads up when they come in? I've been planning a lightweight build for the wife and had it narrowed down to a few 16" lw and pencil barrels but it's only because I couldn't find this barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any chance you can give me a heads up when they come in? I've been planning a lightweight build for the wife and had it narrowed down to a few 16" lw and pencil barrels but it's only because I couldn't find this barrel.
View Quote

Yes. We blast in-stock notifications to the newsletter e-mail addresses. Make sure to sign-up!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Just signed up for the news letter ... and the super secret coupon codes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes. We blast in-stock notifications to the newsletter e-mail addresses. Make sure to sign-up!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
These guys can do any custom profile you want http://www.snipearms.com (within reason)

But that's going to run you more than a Faxon barrel. Depends on how far you're willing to go.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Checkout Faxon's comp silly light but might not be long enough to get your 14.5" barrel to 16"
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Nat @ Faxon

Anything in the pipeline for 6.5 grendel barrels?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Checkout Faxon's comp silly light but might not be long enough to get your 14.5" barrel to 16"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not, but only by a little bit.

We've heard you guys on that and will have more comps in the future. In the short-term, we are focusing on producing barrels and the ARAK-31.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nat @ Faxon

Anything in the pipeline for 6.5 grendel barrels?
View Quote

Yes! Tooling is in-house.

Key right now is to get the 7.62x39 kit fully launched. Once those are shipping in earnest, we'll get a few 6.5 barrels going.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just signed up for the news letter ... and the super secret coupon codes.
View Quote

Signed up as well.

I've decided to use a faxon bbl for my next build.   Any chance of a sale anytime soon?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top