Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I have a new lower on the way that will be the start of my SPR build. What is the best lower parts kit on the market. I want top notch quality and not just your typical run of the mill LPK. I already have a trigger for the build so I don't need that with the kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-SS
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to say a dd lpk kit- save the trigger group for another build/ backup. I'm interested in what others will recommend. The finish on the cmmg is not top notch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going with build your own kit from red barn armory, you can pick out the best components for your custom build with a discount.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
LMT:  and they're on sale for the month of March IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm all for Daniel Defense.  However, you'll probably get stuff you won't use.  On my last build, I used a CMMG LPK that shipped without a lot of stuff I wasn't going to use.  The quality is very high, but I didn't have to pay extra for parts like a trigger that I didn't use.  

LWRCI sells very high quality lower parts kits, too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Wilson Combat all the way. I have done three builds with it. Will be using every time moving forward.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My vote is for a Spikes Tactical LPK.  

Once you complete a build with their spiral roll pins are realize how much easier they are to install compared to standard roll pins, you'll never go back.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
grab a cmmg lpk minus the trigger/hammer and get a drop in trigger. worlds better.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once you complete a build with their spiral roll pins are realize how much easier they are to install compared to standard roll pins, you'll never go back.  

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/rollpins.gif

View Quote

This - FCG + Geissele (your choice but I recomend SSA-E
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going with build your own kit from red barn armory, you can pick out the best components for your custom build with a discount.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]
What about DMPS ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't want any of the LPK stuff except pins, detents. mag release button, and springs.  Troy ambi mag release, an enhanced bolt catch and trigger were things I bought outside the box.

This kit provides some spares http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYSM69I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The included tools are a godsend for the pivot pin install...Not so much as a pin punch.. It works but a pin starter is highly suggested. (It's mild steel and will bend and bend back easily)

Before you ask the pivot and takedown pins are nice and tight though a little longer than mil-spec for easy takedown. Meaning they protrude just a bit so all that's needed is finger pressure.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Any lower parts kit will work. Throw away the trigger or purchase an LPK without the FCG and buy a Geissele.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Spikes. Roll pins, used to use KNS detents and pins, extra parts in the kits...Overall a great LPK.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
LWRC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with Red Barn custom or Spikes.  I've used both (along with other LPKs) and those two are outstanding.  I really liked Spikes spiral roll pins but the Red Barn custom is very good and you can get a custom kit configured exactly the way you want.  The nice thing about buying a standard kit, IMO, is that you have spares of everything you upgrade.  There's a lot to be said for spares....

An interesting side note that probably isn't relevant to you since you'll undoubtedly not use a stock milspec trigger:

I bought a PSA MOE premium LPK for my Dissy build.  It was a great LPK, but the most interesting thing is that the standard trigger in that kit is, by far, the nicest standard mil spec trigger I've encountered.  With respect to creep, pull, feel, etc, it's performs almost exactly the same as my ALG ACT.  Handed both blindfolded, I'd be hard pressed to tell the apart by feel.  I kinda doubt all PSA triggers are like that, but I certainly got a sweet one with that kit.  I have zero intention of replacing that dissy trigger....ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
After using several brands I find Spikes to be the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with Stag for one of my SPR builds and it was very nice and they offer one w/out the FCG also......I think it was around $43.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to say a dd lpk kit- save the trigger group for another build/ backup. I'm interested in what others will recommend. The finish on the cmmg is not top notch.
View Quote

I have CMMG LPK in all my builds and they are top notch.  No complaints here.  I even use their stock triggers
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Does DD use spiral roll pins?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense
View Quote

Where do they sell lmt lpk?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#22]
LMT.

Their parts supplier = LMT.

I used a Brownells kit... I was mushrooming brass and even cheap steel punches trying to install the pins in a Seekins lower, then also a Spikes. Even bent some steel Grace USA punches. Nightmare!

So... next time I'll also look for the best kit that money can buy, kinda. LMT or Colt most likely, so there's no DPMS supplied bullshit.

But that's me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I have a new lower on the way that will be the start of my SPR build. What is the best lower parts kit on the market. I want top notch quality and not just your typical run of the mill LPK. I already have a trigger for the build so I don't need that with the kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-SS
View Quote

I too wanted to go beyond the offerings of general lpk's, and went with the ambi, customizable safety and takedown pins from Battle Arms Development. I'm a fan of the bolt release levers and chose the one-peice Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2. Seekins also has a very nice quality standard bolt release if the lever isn't your cup of tea. Next up is the Norgin ambi mag release. Last but not least, the gen 2 billet aluminum extended trigger guard from Spikes to go on their lower receiver. I got these parts from a couple different vendors that showed them in stock, until more recently coming across Red Barn Armory, who has a very nice list of options to handpick the same stuff from one place. Good luck with the build.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/rollpins.gif

View Quote

I just installed a Spike's LPK enhanced and it was a breeze to install. They claim it is the best LPK on the market.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No DD does not use spiral roll pins.  I have used PTAC, DD and Spikes.  I like the Spikes minus the FCG the most due to the roll pins.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I've yet to see a standard roll pin fail, fall out, or otherwise do bad things.  Spiral pins may be easier to install (never tried them), but replacing quality roll pins with more expensive spiral pins "just because" fixes a nonexistent problem.

The one thing spiral pins have over standard roll pins is that there is more metal involved.  They are indeed "stronger" than standard pins, but those standard roll pins aren't "weak" by any means.

Don't worry about anything but how well the vendor you buy the parts from will stand behind them.  LMT would be a great choice just because they are pretty much the only manufacturer involved with their kits (do they really, really make their own hammers and triggers?), but DD is great, and you really aren't going to get any "premium" improvement by going with any specific brand over any other.  GI rifles are NOT built with "cream of the crop" parts; they're built with mass produced parts.  The SPR is special because of its configuration and that it seems to be built in small batches.  Read the Wikipedia article on the gun for some eye openers.  It looks like Crane used not only off-the-shelf parts, but when the MK 12 went from an upper-only design to a complete rifle, it looks like they built them on used M16A1 or M4A1 lowers...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Surprised no one's said it... for me it's White Oak Armament for my builds.

They sell a trigger-less LPK for $40. Both kits I've bought have been top-notch, and they're a company I trust to use quality stuff.

With the WOA kit, you can also go the "cool-guy LPK" route from Weapon Outfitters. Pick your trigger, grip, other goodies & you pay $35 for the WOA kit. I used to consistently get 20% off on Geissele triggers when they were sold as part of this kit... they've normalized prices a bit, but still a really nice deal for top quality stuff.

I did a bit of research & never found who makes the parts for WOA... only that they have the "S" forge mark found on a lot of the other quality kits.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Just buy it ala carte  or "sans" trigger from White Oak https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=283
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any lower parts kit will work. Throw away the trigger or purchase an LPK without the FCG and buy a Geissele.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Stag Arms LPK's used in all my builds with zero issues !!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No DD does not use spiral roll pins.  I have used PTAC, DD and Spikes.  I like the Spikes minus the FCG the most due to the roll pins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spiral roll pins are the answer to a problem that does not exist. Although there is nothing wrong with either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We're offering a Geissele G2S trigger + Lower Parts kit for $169.99
http://www.righttobear.com/Geissele-G2S-Trigger-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/g2s-lpk.htm

No sense in paying for a mil spec trigger if you're going to upgrade. There are plenty of other LPKs out there without the trigger group.  Red Barn and Anderson are just a few.

View Quote

Wow, nice.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top