Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 7:24:12 PM EDT
I recently finished my AR and I built the lower then bought a complete upper to go with it.
I started with a Spikes Tactical stripped lower and parts kit.  Was going to be OD green magpul
hardware but was given a FDE stock and buffer tube for free by a friend and my upper came with
FDE hand guard. I then bought an ATI rifle length free float hand guard. So I took of the magpul guard
and the a2 front sight. I bought a 36 doller ar wrench today and was going to take off the barrel nut.
Up to now I had gotten away without a vice. Ive been using my legs. I found a couple of C clamps one of
them off my pasta maker and I strapped it to a table. Every time I cranked on it teeth were breaking. Finally I
realized I was tightening the thing. So I flipped it around and tried and tried and I broke most the teeth off and
still didn't get it to budge. I scratched up the barrel a lil bit. Im so aggravated.  I tried heating it with a lighter lol.
I am taking it tomorrow to the gun smith and letting them finish doing what I couldn't do without the right tools.
Ill buy a vice and the vice blocks before I attempt any more builds.

Heres the basics- Milspec
Spikes Lower, CMMG lower parts kit,  ALG milspec trigger, JP Aris tigger springs, Magpul moe grip & enhanced trigger guard.
Spikes ST-T1 buffer and spring, Magpul CTR stock and buffer tube free, a donation from friend.
Total lower cost $308.02

16 in Spikes Tactical complete upper, .556 chrome lined 1 in 7 twist yada yada., Spikes bolt carrier group, Magpul hand guard & MBUS rear flip sight and a PMag.
Total upper price $572.64
Total for completed weapon 880.66

I also bought ATI rifle length free float grip and nose cone. a Magpul pro front flip sight Magpul rubber stock pad, a MI low profile gas block and Yankee Hill phantom flash hider
Total about $320.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Here what she looked like before I took off the hand guard and front sight.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
decent first rifle
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I like! Nice and clean build! Looks a lot like mine except different color. Youll love that Spikes stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link. I need to get one of those. I like Midway they are very fast to ship.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I have this barrel wrench and it is great, but can only be used on barrels with no FSB.

Need something like this if you do not want to remove the FSB
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/usgi-barrel-nut-wrench-prod65710.aspx

per usual shop around
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the site.
nice first build.
I'm thinking you should be PastaManvibrations, yah.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Very similar to one of mine. I used an A2 carry handle/sight. Good job.

Range report?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks ive been reading some good stuff on here since a friend gave me the link.
That other barrel wrench might be worth the extra money that's pretty sick. I was intent on getting that barrel not off.
Everyone on you tube made it look like it was easy. lol  I didn't have the money to buy the right tools so I tired to improvise.
I even broke the table it was clamped too. Now I need work bench and proper tools. I do want to build a 300 blackout upper
for longer range shooting or hunting.

The gun itself shot very accurate when I shoot it right. I zeroed it at like 50 ft indoor range in Titusville ,FL  my last two range bullets
hit the bull inside a dime. I thought I was sighting 50 yards but really feet. Then I tried in the woods at 36 yards. Then tried again at
mims range for 25 yards. I just ordederd a hol sun 403 G I guess. Seems pretty good. Ill prolly get the new one with different reticles
when I can.

Hopefully today gun smith can get the ff guard on for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I had two gun smiths pounding on it for 45 mins. They still couldn't get it to break free. They are going to keep it
and try other stuff. I hope I get it back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Merritt Island Gun Company helped me out. They got old barrel nut off for me and put on my new one and
I asked them to put on my gas black. They only charged me 25.00 Another gun smith quoted me 75. I have
A flip front sight and micro red dot coming.
ATI free float guard  

Edit/ why don't the pics show?

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol we have the same rifle except mines black with an anderson lower. But the components and parts are same lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol we have the same rifle except mines black with an anderson lower. But the components and parts are same lol
View Quote

Does it have the magpul or the ati handguard?  Post a pic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't know if the pics will show? But here she is my ST -15 Middy with Ati guard and a Halosun 403g

This is an 8 in target I got 11 out of 15 with my irons at 100 yds last week before I got my red dot

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Look good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Heres a video review of my Spikes AR15

My Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LHcX8xBIs
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I once was trying to remove a factory installed barrel nut from a Spikes upper.  I was using the Spikes barrel wrench (which is a very nice - overbuild wrench).  I think I put about 200ft lb of pressure on it before the wrench gave out and bent a few pins.  I cut the nut off with a dremel as the free float rail going on didn't need the factory barrel nut anyways.

Spikes sent me a new wrench.  The Spikes wrench has about twice as many pins as the PRI.  Both are a good design.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I once was trying to remove a factory installed barrel nut from a Spikes upper.  I was using the Spikes barrel wrench (which is a very nice - overbuild wrench).  I think I put about 200ft lb of pressure on it before the wrench gave out and bent a few pins.  I cut the nut off with a dremel as the free float rail going on didn't need the factory barrel nut anyways.

Spikes sent me a new wrench.  The Spikes wrench has about twice as many pins as the PRI.  Both are a good design.
View Quote

Yeah Im getting a Spikes wrench before attempt removing another barrel nut. I should of cut it off too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top