Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 6:22:43 AM EDT
I'm thinking about doing couple of AR-15 type 80% lower receivers in a couple of months.  I will be using a drill press and jig to complete the process of turning them into fully functional receivers.  Prior to completing the lower receivers, I'm going to have them engraved with a model number, my name and town/State, as well as a serial number, which will be engraved professionally and to current ATF size and depth specs.

...both my name, town and State will be engraved in the trigger guard area, next to the trigger hole cut out.

With that said, would it be legal... Or illegal to have the lower receivers then "professionally" cleaned up?  What I mean by "cleaned up" is having the inside trigger/fire control pocket side-walls "evenly milled" for a cleaner look AFTER my work with a drill press is 100% completed... Simply for the cosmetic looks I want and to match my other ARs.

I know that this is a touchy issue and at the same time, I'm not looking to get @zz raped in prison either, so staying legal is my goal.

Also, who offers a service to polish and blast the receivers before sending them out to be finished to match the upper receivers they will be mated up with?  Basically, I'm going with a ceracoat finish.  Again, I don't have the means or tools to prep these receivers for this process either... I don't see myself doing anymore 80% lower receivers,so investing in the proper tools isn't too wise in my situation.

Both of these receivers will never be sold or given to anybody... While I'm alive and kicking.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It is illegal for anyone but YOU to do the work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not so sure.

2015-1 states that FFL/ Gunsmiths that/ can perform modifications to the Firearm that "Add value" must have their information legally engraved.

So, if we use the following logic & apply it...

The OP took a non-firearm & made it a functional firearm. If he then sends or takes this newly made firearm with his information already present on the firearm he should legally be able to do so &, providing they have their information added to the firearm in question, can perform such modifications that would certainly add value by making the firearm more attractive & of added value to prospective purchasers.

Furthermore, if said modifications are performed while he waits, so as the firearm is not in the sole possession of the FFl/ Gunsmith, this added information is not required.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As I assume you are aware, engraving all that info onto the receivers is not required by law since you stated that they will not be sold.

If you decided to forgo the engraving the only place that any of your finishing work will show once you assemble the rifle is the trigger slot. And that is only visible when the rifle is turned upside down at an angle and you peek in between the the trigger and TG. That tiny area can easily be touched up with a birchwood-casey touch up pen or even a sharpie for that matter.

If you use a router to finish the lower instead of a drill press, you wouldn't even need any touch up work in the FCG pocket area. Drill presses are not designed for, nor do they like to do any lateral cutting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
i agree with ^^

why would you put all that on the lower?

IF you're thinking about building a SBR, then purchase a lower and build it off that. (you're eliminating the purpose of having an "80% rifle" if you then register it with the ATF so you can SBR it.)

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am not so sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not so sure.

The ATF is sure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to turn it into a functional firearm yourself.

You can have it anodized or otherwise coated by another after it is a completed and functional receiver; alterations that do not affect the legal status/classification of the firearm do not constitute manufacturing.  If they did, every 'smith doing reblues, ceracoating, slide lightening or any other modification would have to be an FFL07/10.

engraved with a model number, my name and town/State, as well as a serial number, which will be engraved professionally and to current ATF size and depth specs.

...both my name, town and State will be engraved in the trigger guard area, next to the trigger hole cut out.
View Quote

Why on earth would you do that with a non-NFA firearm???

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The ATF is sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not so sure.

The ATF is sure.

I disagree.  As long as he makes the firearm, he can later have a smith pretty it up.  At that point the smith is doing cosmetic work on a firearm that already exists.

I would not engrave that much crap in my lower though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I disagree.  As long as he makes the firearm, he can later have a smith pretty it up.  At that point the smith is doing cosmetic work on a firearm that already exists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not so sure.

The ATF is sure.

Well, hell, I'll just take my 80%ers to my local machine shop and have them "finish" them up.  By OP's definition, they wouldn't actually be 100% of there was machining left to "clean up".

That's playing with fire IMO, but I guess you're right:  who's going to know as long as the 'smith is willing to do it (and not talk about it).

Definitely not the route I would recommend/take.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]

If it's a functioning firearm it's a 100% firearm.  Their are many non critical areas inside the FCG pocket.  I have an 80% that I did with a drill press.  It's not very pretty on the inside, but it shoots just fine.  I could have a smith take a few thousandths off most of the inside and it would look prettier.  He wouldn't have made a new firearm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, hell, I'll just take my 80%ers to my local machine shop and have them "finish" them up.  By OP's definition, they wouldn't actually be 100% of there was machining left to "clean up".

View Quote

What you are describing is taking something that is a paperweight and having a machine shop turn it into a functional firearm.

That is totally and completely different than taking a functional firearm and have someone apply some cosmetic changes to it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's playing with fire IMO, but I guess you're right:  who's going to know as long as the 'smith is willing to do it (and not talk about it).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not so sure.

The ATF is sure.

Not at all. As others have said, reiterating my statement, the firearm is made. It is functional.

If he wishes to send the firearm to an FFL/ Gunsmith he would have to have his information on it. The FFL/ Gunsmith also has to put their info on it. A non-FFL/ Gunsmith could not without having the proper licensing. If he stays there, still in legal possession, I would not interpret the laws to say he would have to have his information on the lower.

He is not breaking the law in any way, he would be following the ruling found in 2015-1.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not at all. As others have said, reiterating my statement, the firearm is made. It is functional.

If he wishes to send the firearm to an FFL/ Gunsmith he would have to have his information on it. The FFL/ Gunsmith also has to put their info on it. A non-FFL/ Gunsmith could not without having the proper licensing. If he stays there, still in legal possession, I would not interpret the laws to say he would have to have his information on the lower.

He is not breaking the law in any way, he would be following the ruling found in 2015-1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

I disagree with the gunsmith being required to put their information on it.  For the gunsmith it's no different than receiving a Bushmaster Varminter to swap stocks on and cerakote.  The firearm is already made, it already exists.

I don't believe legally their is a requirement for the OP to put any markings on the firearm before handing it to the gunsmith.  It is difficult for the gunsmith to log without any markings though, and I expect most wouldn't be willing to work on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If your really worried about how it looks then buy a mini mill for $500 and get a cleaner cut.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I disagree with the gunsmith being required to put their information on it.  For the gunsmith it's no different than receiving a Bushmaster Varminter to swap stocks on and cerakote.  The firearm is already made, it already exists.

I don't believe legally their is a requirement for the OP to put any markings on the firearm before handing it to the gunsmith.  It is difficult for the gunsmith to log without any markings though, and I expect most wouldn't be willing to work on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a “weapon ... which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,” i.e., a “firearm,” must be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA); identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records. A business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery or equipment. ATF Ruling 2010-10 is hereby clarified.

Furthermore...

Although licensed gunsmiths return firearms to their customers after performing the contracted work, the GCA does not consider this to be a sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured. This is because the returned firearm has only been repaired or temporarily received for custom work – it has not been machined in a manner or otherwise created or made suitable for use as part of a weapon. However, when a licensed gunsmith takes in a frame or receiver to perform machining or other manufacturing process, that gunsmith “distributes” a firearm to the customer upon return because that manufacturing activity results in the making of a different “frame or receiver” and also a “weapon ... which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile” – both defined separately as a “firearm” under the GCA.

The preceding statement can be interpreted as I have suggested. I agree, it shouldn't be that way, it is just how we know they are on "Interpretation", soooo.

YMMV

Quoted:
If your really worried about how it looks then buy a mini mill for $500 and get a cleaner cut.

Yep, agree again, then do it all yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you all for your input into this matter!!

After reading through all of this, I concur that buying a mini milling machine would be the best way to obtain the level of work I'm looking for.

At this point I have zero needed tools for this project... What would be the best drill press and mini milling machines for somebody with no skills to purchase?  What other hand tools would be needed to make this job easier?  ALSO, what is the best and easiest to use jig on the market now?  

Not looking for anything too fancy or uber expensive, but good enough to complete the work I'm trying to achieve.

Being newly retired, I now have more free time on my hands and this now sounds like a new hobby I'll take up.

...The only work I'll still outsource is the refinishing of the finished product, to include the polishing and blasting prior to the ceracoat being applied.

Again, thanks for all the advice in this matter!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thank you all for your input into this matter!!

After reading through all of this, I concur that buying a mini milling machine would be the best way to obtain the level of work I'm looking for.

At this point I have zero needed tools for this project... What would be the best drill press and mini milling machines for somebody with no skills to purchase?  What other hand tools would be needed to make this job easier?  ALSO, what is the best and easiest to use jig on the market now?  

Not looking for anything too fancy or uber expensive, but good enough to complete the work I'm trying to achieve.

Being newly retired, I now have more free time on my hands and this now sounds like a new hobby I'll take up.

...The only work I'll still outsource is the refinishing of the finished product, to include the polishing and blasting prior to the ceracoat being applied.

Again, thanks for all the advice in this matter!!
View Quote

There is another way besides the milling machine. Google the Easy Jig. It is a jig designed to be used with a regular router.  The jig is more expensive than a milling machine jig but a router is much cheaper than the cheapest of end mill . There are some good YouTube videos of it used on the net.  I have no personal experience with it but it looked like it worked really well from the videos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNGFRvo0gE

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

Here is one that would probably be just fine for use with lowers & most Non-Ultra-Precision type work.

The Router Jig is a good alternative for just doing lowers, albeit only relatively cost effective if you already possess a good quality router & bits...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

Here is one that would probably be just fine for use with lowers & most Non-Ultra-Precision type work.

The Router Jig is a good alternative for just doing lowers, albeit only relatively cost effective if you already possess a good quality router & bits...
View Quote

Their are regular 20% off coupons for harbor freight.  Don't pay full retail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have to join their mailing list or? Where do you see these coupons being circulated?

OP, also look into Duracoat. At-home application...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I see them in magazines fairly regularly. I think they've been mailing them to me as well.

ETA: I found this with a quick google search: http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17547.html

Coupon code is: 16030521
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are currently on-sale, I wonder if the coupons would apply then...

20% off would be $560 in this case so still better.

Edit to your Edit (Ha): Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I just tried it with the coupon code and it showed $479.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet!

Very tempting...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Once the lower receiver is turned from a 80% to a 100% condition and you want to have it anodized/refinished very few if any
shop/funsmiths that specialize in anodizing/refinish work will be willing to touch a completed (100%) AR lower or receiver that
has no Identifiable markings/serial number, etc. as they may risk their FFL license in the process if they are not 100% sure with
the rules regarding such matters...especially for such a small job like that...There are one or two specialty shops I know of that
will engrave/refinish 80% AR lowers w/o markings, etc...You may be better off just buying the new Durakote all in one spray on
finish aerosol kit and doing it yourself...Good luck anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with using a router type jig. It will give you the finish you are looking for without breaking the bank.
Once you buy the mill, you aren't done yet. you will still tooling and clamping equipment. A good variable speed router is under $100.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good info on these mini mills.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/183-tool-shed/71891-sieg-x2-mini-mill.html
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I agree with using a router type jig. It will give you the finish you are looking for without breaking the bank.

Once you buy the mill, you aren't done yet. you will still tooling and clamping equipment. A good variable speed router is under $100.
View Quote

A mill lets you do a lot more than just a couple lowers though.  I would rather spend extra on the mill and have it for other projects later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes but click the link I just posted above.

I have one of those mills, I've got about $1500 invested by the time you have everything you need.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is the Siege X2 with an airspring installed for $599.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here is the Siege X2 with an airspring installed for $599.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=
View Quote

Now add this and you will actually be able to do something with your new mill.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3489&category=

I am very familiar with LMS. Chris has taken a lot of my money over the last couple of years. lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
If you only plan to do one and feel confident that won't change, then the router jigs may be you best option if you HAVE to do an 80%'er.  Otherwise like others have said, a mill like other propped tools will afford you many other opportunities.  

Recent mini-mill discussion Link

Most everyone here with any experience is more than happy to answer questions. Spreading the BRD!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually got a hot lead on a nice 3-in-1 today for a crazy deal. Buddy of a buddy kind of thing... May have to Fo on that one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top