Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2015 11:59:50 PM EDT
I'm trying to build the cheapest AR I can. I'm sure this is a post as old as the internet...I'm just trying to see what I can come up with. I believe in quality parts so I don't want to cut corners and buy junk. I hope to find a happy medium. Want this to be an AR anyone would be proud to own. Have to start somewhere so I thought I'd go for the really dangerous part that I have to register ...My gut says buy a blem from a top quality company like Aero Precision for the 55 bucks they sell them for on their own webpage. I have experience with them, and none with anyone else . This is my second build and it looks to me like lowers don't get much cheaper than 45/piece. FMK, ATI, Anderson Arms, all at that mark Aero blem is only $10 more from what I've found. Which are the ones to buy? I'd be willing to go up if it was justified. Kinda building this one to sell or trade. Thanks as always!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Best cheapest seems like Anderson.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Anderson lower is cheap and good to go. The fit and finish is also good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Anderson or Aero.  Pick the rollmark you like best.  I like Aero better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yesterday I picked up an Anderson Mfg. lower that I got from AIM Surplus for $39.95.  It looks just as good as the Aero Precision, Seekins, and Noveske lowers I already have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My vote goes to Aero Precision for best overall value in a lower and upper receiver...Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it really a pick'em?  I've seen Anderson for $39...cheapest I've seen Aero is $65.  Are Aero's available at the same price as the Andersons?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is it really a pick'em?  I've seen Anderson for $39...cheapest I've seen Aero is $65.  Are Aero's available at the same price as the Andersons?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AIM Surplus versions are made by Aero Precision IIRC and can often be had on sale for around $49 each...Aero will sometimes have them
as well but not as low as the AIM Surplus versions...The Andersons seem good too but have had Intermittent Issues along the way from what I
have seen/heard and read...Makes you wonder/second guess how good can a $39 lower really be, what short cuts were taken for that price
point...Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Thread hijack: I've seen posts like this before and I've often wondered about the legality of building an AR for the sole purpose of selling it. I would worry about being considered an unlicensed manufacturer, but I may be way off on that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thread hijack: I've seen posts like this before and I've often wondered about the legality of building an AR for the sole purpose of selling it. I would worry about being considered an unlicensed manufacturer, but I may be way off on that.
View Quote

If he was using 80% lowers then there would be an issue.  The AP/Anderson lower is already manufactured and serialized.  Not really any different than running across a gun at a great price and buying it just to turn around and sell it to make a profit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If he was using 80% lowers then there would be an issue.  The AP/Anderson lower is already manufactured and serialized.  Not really any different than running across a gun at a great price and buying it just to turn around and sell it to make a profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. That's what I figured, but never looked into it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The AIM Surplus versions are made by Aero Precision IIRC and can often be had on sale for around $49 each...Aero will sometimes have them
as well but not as low as the AIM Surplus versions...The Andersons seem good too but have had Intermittent Issues along the way from what I
have seen/heard and read...Makes you wonder/second guess how good can a $39 lower really be, what short cuts were taken for that price
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I just bought two Andersons from AIMSurplus....didn't see any Aero lowers there at the time (would have preferred the Aero).  Just went back and looked...none listed (in or out of stock).  Were they a limited time thing?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put together a build with an Anderson lower and upper. There were no quality issues with either. I'd use them again in a second.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Just used an Anderson and really liked the fact that they don't mark the right side of the receiver for "fire" or "safe", I like the right side to be smooth and clean(retro). Wish we had a source for selectors without the tick mark. Had no issues at all but also noticed that they have ridges on each side just behind where the pistol grip mounts. I'm ok with it, no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Aero precision is the best for the money and none of the others can met them. I have never had any issues with any AP products and I put them up there with most of the higher cost manufactures. I'm not a fan of Anderson but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aero precision is the best for the money and none of the others can met them. I have never had any issues with any AP products and I put them up there with most of the higher cost manufactures. I'm not a fan of Anderson but that's just me.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up an Anderson with the trigger guard built in from AIM. I should have picked up a second one w/o the trigger guard, to replace a Olympic lower I have

The Olympic lower has mag issues where the follower misses the bolt catch. And I paid 3x more for the Olympic
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

To clarify its not my sole purpose. Want to build one cheap that I like and use it for a while. People on the weapon swap pages are always looking for AR's and I was hoping to have some savings so to speak that I could use to barter at a later time. Maybe make a few bucks to use on the next one if someone just wants my AR. Not looking to do anything illegal for sure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Bushmasters have been pretty cheap lately as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The Bushmasters have seemed to have dried up. Have not seen them at the $50 price since AIM sold out. I literally bought the last one AIM had. They were a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't do what you are suggesting without an FFL. Not legally anyway.

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

jonblack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

jonblack

What can't you do?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
You can't build an AR with the intent to sell without a 07 FFL, pand paying excise tax and ITAR. You can not  buy a gun with the intent to sell without an 01 FFL. So basically, all of the above.

Link 1

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can't build an AR with the intent to sell without a 07 FFL, pand paying excise tax and ITAR. You can not  buy a gun with the intent to sell without an 01 FFL. So basically, all of the above.

Link 1

jonblack
View Quote

Link doesn't work, but thanks. If that's true, my gut feeling was correct.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link 1

jonblack
View Quote

I never "intend" to sell any gun, but sometimes I change my mind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link 1

jonblack

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Anderson from AIM gets my vote and remember you also save some by not having to buy a trigger guard, I picked up 2 and have built one so far and the fit and finish was perfect for what I paid I cannot complain.  Next time they go on sale I'm grabbing 4 more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This +1 aero has a little better fit and finish between their lowers and their own and other uppers. I liked them enough to SBR one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, but the opening post says:
Kinda building this one to sell or trade.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Never used Aero, but I've recently built 3 Anderson lowers, and all 3 were the best fitting with each perspective upper that yet to build(being several I'd guess). All fitting together with zero movement, but the rr pin still pushed out easily. Seems fit and finish was awesome and left little to be desired. At least for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm trying to build the cheapest AR I can. I'm sure this is a post as old as the internet...I'm just trying to see what I can come up with. I believe in quality parts so I don't want to cut corners and buy junk. I hope to find a happy medium. Want this to be an AR anyone would be proud to own. Have to start somewhere so I thought I'd go for the really dangerous part that I have to register ...My gut says buy a blem from a top quality company like Aero Precision for the 55 bucks they sell them for on their own webpage. I have experience with them, and none with anyone else . This is my second build and it looks to me like lowers don't get much cheaper than 45/piece. FMK, ATI, Anderson Arms, all at that mark Aero blem is only $10 more from what I've found. Which are the ones to buy? I'd be willing to go up if it was justified. Kinda building this one to sell or trade. Thanks as always!
View Quote
Big fan of Aero Precision, all of my uppers and lowers have a very tight fit and I like the roll mark.

How about a non-blemished Aero Precision lower for $54.  http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-stripped-lower-993

They have assembled uppers for $65 as well. http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-assembled-upper-reciever-993

Schuyler Arms is also a site sponsor.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Tapco lower

ETA, out of stock though
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I was really impressed with the McKay A2 lowers I bought recently, very cleanly finished. A little more money but no stupid logo and nicely marked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Another thread based off of Best =/= Cost.

I know the price doesn't make the best, being the best makes the best. That said, usually the price point at least reflects the demand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I might get flamed but I got the PSA Iraq lower during Christmas for $49 shipped. And I got my wife's Anderson for free. So I guess I'm a cheap bastard haha
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#35]
No problems with Anderson or Aero. They are as good as any other.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#36]
The best would be the one you like.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is a pickem when its a $26 difference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I built a carbine for less than 400 just watching PSA and anderson sales
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I have seven AR lowers (so far... BRD), all of them from different manufacturers.  Latest one I bought was an Anderson.  My "to buy" favorites are the one(s) I see when I have the bucks in my pocket!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top