Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 11:58:44 AM EDT
Hi there,

There's great info here on builds and installation tips, but I would appreciate any general safety advice. (I am new here, so please excuse me if I missed this being addressed elsewhere.)

I have some pieces already from when I planned to build with a friend, but I will be doing it on my own now. I have not quite decided on my build.

My main concern is safety in performance. I am not looking for a fussy build, but want a reliable piece.

Any advice on the following would be appreciated:
*Potential problematic areas to watch during installation
*Parts that could be upgraded to avoid common FTF issues
*Which parts to invest money in for reliability and durability

I understand much of that can be personal preference or build specific, but I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience.

Thanks in advance,

Bri
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hi there,

There's great info here on builds and installation tips, but I would appreciate any general safety advice. (I am new here, so please excuse me if I missed this being addressed elsewhere.)

I have some pieces already from when I planned to build with a friend, but I will be doing it on my own now. I have not quite decided on my build.

My main concern is safety in performance. I am not looking for a fussy build, but want a reliable piece.

Any advice on the following would be appreciated:

*Potential problematic areas to watch during installation

*Parts that could be upgraded to avoid common FTF issues

*Which parts to invest money in for reliability and durability

I understand much of that can be personal preference or build specific, but I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience.

Thanks in advance,

Bri

View Quote
I assume by 'safety in performance' you are basically describing reliability..?

a basic AR assembly is quite simple my advice is usually just the universal advice you would give anybody doing a build of some sort...

Use the right tool for the job!

Just because many of us assemble lowers using only one or two tools doesnt mean its appropriate for someones first build especially.

As far as problem areas unique to an AR platform build its simple, be especially careful with your springs, the AR uses numerous small trapped springs installed under tension for proper operation, the little bastards will launch themselves across your room never to be seen again and will drive you insane. there are many tricks people use to try to minimize this, some will assemble those sections either in a clear bag or under somethign that will trap an errant spring or just make sure to go slow and be careful.

as long as you are using reutable parts, reliability imo mainly revloves around three different components, the type and quality of ammunition your running through it, the condition of your mags more than any other mechanical partby far, and as a general rule, AR's like to run wet, A dry AR is a finnickiky one, so when in doubt hit the lube points.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top