AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you find out yet what accounted for the discrepancy in the specs of the lower?
View Quote

The big indexable cutter must have hooked a corner hard enough to move it in the vise.  It was off by 0.143", which is just a goofy number, so not a calculation error.   Those tend to be completely round numbers or a cutter radius/diameter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The big indexable cutter must have hooked a corner hard enough to move it in the vise.  It was off by 0.143", which is just a goofy number, so not a calculation error.   Those tend to be completely round numbers or a cutter radius/diameter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you find out yet what accounted for the discrepancy in the specs of the lower?

Twice I've had my X axis igagingdro jump on me.  Both times I luckily noticed something was wrong before I cut something I should't have.  

Nice work BTW, you are a tremendous inspiration.  I've shown the 1/2 scale thread to a dozen different people.  All are simply amazed.  Excellent recovery on the oops, I feel for ya tho, these minor imperfections that in the end don't matter, still bother ya WAY too much.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Twice I've had my X axis igagingdro jump on me. Both times I luckily noticed something was wrong before I cut something I should't have.
View Quote

By .200"?  lol.  Y-Axis used to do that to me from time to time, not matter how clean I kept it.  Always .200" exactly.  Ended up replacing the encoder, all is well now.  Other than that, the only issue I've had with them was on my smaller machine when a solder joint inside the encoder began failing.  It would jump all over the place, whether it was moving on the scale or not.  That was fixable, though
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the times it was over an inch off.  No idea why.  I don't remember how far it was off the other time, but I remember it was quite obvious.  My X axis gets a lot ofchchips, so I just assumed that was it.  Another time the Z was off, but found that was just the connection on the display.  All in all, they are still worth every penny.  I can't imagine trying to count turns and account for backlash on my little mill.  Everything would take 10-20x longer if for nothing more than stopping to Mic everything all the time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My X axis gets a lot ofchchips, so I just assumed that was it.
View Quote

Probably, especially if it was a random amount.  I have them covered, use pieces of heavy duty drawer liner material.  A roll of the stuff is about $11 at wal mart, just cut a strip and fold it over the whole scale, zip tie the ends.  I'll try to get a pic later to show you.  

I can't imagine trying to count turns and account for backlash on my little mill. Everything would take 10-20x longer if for nothing more than stopping to Mic everything all the time.
View Quote

I operated that way for a long time, and yes, it sucks-especially with the mini mills and their 0.0625 per revolution travel.  Also, very few lead screws are consistent enough to hold 0.001 the length of the axis even with backlash accounted for.  In my experience, these Igaging DROs definitely hold 0.001" if they're mounted properly.  If one has to do better, then spendy glass scales are the only option.  But very few projects require tolerances in tenths, and very few machines can hold tenths.  Even expensive VMCs have trouble doing any better than .0005" across an axis.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably, especially if it was a random amount.  I have them covered, use pieces of heavy duty drawer liner material.  A roll of the stuff is about $11 at wal mart, just cut a strip and fold it over the whole scale, zip tie the ends.  I'll try to get a pic later to show you.  

I operated that way for a long time, and yes, it sucks-especially with the mini mills and their 0.0625 per revolution travel.  Also, very few lead screws are consistent enough to hold 0.001 the length of the axis even with backlash accounted for.  In my experience, these Igaging DROs definitely hold 0.001" if they're mounted properly.  If one has to do better, then spendy glass scales are the only option.  But very few projects require tolerances in tenths, and very few machines can hold tenths.  Even expensive VMCs have trouble doing any better than .0005" across an axis.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My X axis gets a lot ofchchips, so I just assumed that was it.

I can't imagine trying to count turns and account for backlash on my little mill. Everything would take 10-20x longer if for nothing more than stopping to Mic everything all the time.

Good info.  Thanks for all of this.  To Nottooslow too.  You're an inspiration and a true asset to ARFcom.  Please keep it coming!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow OP, U gotz some mad skillz!

Very cool.

I know know my life has been wasted not learning how to do cool stuff like this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice work. I have a made couple from scratch but I'd never attempt steel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Props to you on making one out of steel, that takes some patience!  Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting closer.....

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
tag...cool!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]

That is awesome!!   Great work!   I am impressed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Freaking cool.  Nice save with the welding, too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
much respect for taking this on in steel and the manual mill.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, my long 3/32 drill finally showed up yesterday, so now it's just ceracoating.  Hopefully we'll have that squared away before next week, then just transfer all the parts out of the forged 7075 receiver into this one and reassemble this rifle with the steel lower:

And final weight is 1.78 lbs, just a little more than triple that of a standard forged lower.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#18]
And done!

Took quite a bit of fitting, as it was very tight before the ceracoat.  But it's there now, with zero wiggle!  Rifle now weighs 16.3 lbs with a loaded 20 round mag.  lol.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell me it was no accident the boss on the driver's side closely resembles a BFL.

Very cool project.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell me it was no accident the boss on the driver's side closely resembles a BFL.
View Quote

Actually, it was.    My intent was only to keep with the theme of semi-circular cuts along the straight edges.  What it ended up looking like came to my attention after the fact.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#22]
That came out very nice. Won't find another one like it, that's for sure!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top